1. Anna100

Anna100 Active Member

Anna's progress journal

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Anna100, Mar 21, 2017.

I've been thinking about creating a journal for a while, but hesitated because I'm really bad at updating anything. But, this might be a way for me to push through whatever new project I come up with (and hopefully finish them.) This journal will not be for just one specific project but for anything that I write, short or long. That's because I know I will jump from one thing to another. So, I guess I could say it's a journal to keep track of my general writing progress.

Current project: Called ... the journey (because I can't come up with a better title right now)
    It's about a girl that finds an old treasure map and decides to follow it together with her friend whom she hasn't seen in nine years. As they travel along, she figures out that she is being followed by two ghosts that at one time in the past were on the same hunt as she is now.

This is very much a pantsing story, and I don't know where or how it will end or what waits around the next bend. So, as usual, I'm concerned how far this will go before I decide to jump on another writing project. I really want to finish this one, though.

2. JE Loddon

JE Loddon Active Member

Have you considered putting a more rigid plan in place? I know that's the only way I ever finish anything.

3. Anna100

Anna100 Active Member

Yes, I've tried it before on other projects and it can be very helpful. But, I also have a tendency to diverge from whatever I've planned out (for some reason). I might consider plotting a little bit more on this story, though, I think it might be needed.
    --
    Totally forgot to write down how far I've come on this project, btw. Word count: 7330. I'm on the sixth chapter (these are very short chapters as for now because 1. I like it that way, and 2. to help myself, as in having an idea of what to write next.)

JE Loddon likes this.
  4. Anna100

Anna100 Active Member

The Journey update: Word count: 8239. I've come to the seventh chapter.
    As for what comes next, I've decided to write a short synopsis in advance for every chapter(only one chapter at a time as that's easier for me.) I thought that might be wise, as JE Loddon suggested to have a plan. Easier to focus.
    For the next chapter I haven't decided what to write yet. I usually come up with a title for the chapter first, so that I have an idea of what's going to happen, then I think about what to write.
    I might not write a synopsis for every chapter, but if I feel I need it (for example when I get stuck) then I will do some real planning.

Right now: my MC (Bora) have met the other ghost (the hunter) and he is not happy about her stealing his map. Moving on from there.

5. EFF_FireFly

EFF_FireFly New Member

So the blurb is really enticing. I was wondering if you plan out any of your story, I know I was always a pantser but I never got anywhere in the stories I wrote, because I always forgot where the characters were supposed to be going. Do you have any particular planning or plotting methods that help you? I use the same plot structure over and over again. Just having it has streamlined my writing process.

6. Anna100

Anna100 Active Member

I usually don't plan much. And, I never really finish anything properly. I think it might have something to do with the fact that, even though I have an idea, I don't always have a conflict. So, no, I don't have any good plotting methods (I'm still working on this). Most of the time if I'm planning my story I just write short summaries of what I want to happen in each chapter ... and that's about it.

7. Anna100

Anna100 Active Member

Word count: 9735. Close to the eight chapter.
    In addition to that I've written summaries for the next two chapters.
    Reflections: Right now I'm just writing out the story to get a sense of what it's actually about. And, what the characters goals and purposes are.
    On another thought, I think I'm repeating the same scenarios too often: staying at motels/inns/campgrounds, eating, MC randomly meeting the ghosts when out walking. There's not a lot of action (not the 'car-chase action'), but lack of intriguing or exciting scenes. I need to think about what to do with that.

The chapters so far, just for fun (all titles are just working titles):
    1. Beginning
    2. Raccoon Creek B&B
    3. The man in the black coat
    4. White Pine Hill
    5. Blue Cairn
    6. The hunter
    7. Are you dead or alive?
    8. Alone with the dead (not written yet, but have a summary)
    9. Losing direction (not written yet, but have a summary)

8. johncjg

johncjg New Member

Some suggestions -

1) What is the MC's "call to adventure?" like was her dad an adventure, or is she bullied? Why did she leave her life to go on this adventure?
    2) I find it's helpful to at least write or know the ending so I know where I'm headed
    3) Good self-awareness. A good story is always one built on lots of conflict. Maybe someone else is after this map, an antagonist of sorts?
    4) Think about the character's arc. I believe a great story is one where the protagonist is fundamentally different by the end, makes it more dynamic and interesting. E.g. she was scared of XYZ, but now conquered her fear.

Hope this was helpful.

Anna100 likes this.
  9. Anna100

Anna100 Active Member

1. I've been thinking about this, and I feel that's something I need to figure out of.
    2. Oh, the endings, why are they so hard? :p But, yes, it's probably good to know in advance. Right now ... I don't.
    3. I've also been thinking about this, and in a way, the ghosts are the 'bad' guys in this (they are trying to take the map from her/lure her away, because even though they're dead, they're still after the treasure.) But they are also good, and in some ways trying to help the MC. BUT, now that I think about it, it could be interesting with an extra character trying to get hold of the map too. Hmm.
    4. Yes, agree on this. Another thing to figure out.

I actually got some ideas from your suggestions and you made me think a little bit more about what I'm doing, so thank you. :)

10. johncjg

johncjg New Member

No worries, glad I could help.

11. Anna100

Anna100 Active Member

Okay, so, 1. I've started rewriting the whole thing from the very beginning.
    2. I've replaced the MC's friend so now it will be her older brother following her on her journey instead. I think it would be a better dynamic between the two, because the other character (her friend) was a bit vague to me and I kind of just threw him in there without a purpose.
    A lot of rewriting ahead, then. Which is okay.

12. Anna100

Anna100 Active Member

Since I've started over, my word count has gone down to 3802. And I'm on the third chapter.
    I've got this chapter summarised so I know what to write (in a way).
    So, now the MC is at the point where she has met the first ghost.
    In my first draft, only the MC was able to see the ghosts, but now I've changed it to both her and her brother being able to see them. I thought it would be more interesting that way.
    I haven't written a lot lately (lack of motivation) but hopefully I will be able to get back into it this Easter.
    I've had some moments where I didn't think I would be able to finish and continue this, BUT even so I still have my hopes up for this story.

13. Anna100

Anna100 Active Member

Word count: 6393. On the fifth chapter.
    Right now I feel everything I write is crap, so I'm kind of just ploughing through this. (I have way too much stupid dialogue going on just to move the plot forward. Will be fixed.)
    On the other hand, I've made a list of all the characters individual goals.

14. Anna100

Anna100 Active Member

I think I will put the the journey project on pause for now. After some rewriting(s) and changing of settings, it's all just mush when I think about it. Maybe it just needs to ferment a little bit.

In the meantime, I'm going to continue a short story(One day at the mud station) I started a while ago and see if I can finish it.
    I actually quite liked this story, so I would like to see it wrapped up(nicely).

The day I finish a novel will be a day to remember. :p

15. Anna100

Anna100 Active Member

One day at the mud station (aka the graveyard man) word count: 5028
    I have finished a very rough first draft. I will probably want to rewrite the whole thing when I look at it later, though.
    Right now it's going to rest for a little bit.

As to what to write next, I'm not sure. I have a few other short stories that I haven't finished, so maybe rewrite them.

16. Anna100

Anna100 Active Member

I started rewriting another short story that I haven't finished.
    I'll just call it animals for now. It's about shapeshifters (not the werewolf kind).
    word count is 4875.
    I would say it mostly consists of dialogue right now, so I def. need to flesh it out in the second draft. Looks like a manuscript. :p

17. Anna100

Anna100 Active Member

I haven't written that much lately, but I sometimes switch between writing/editing three short stories.
    Animals: In the midst of editing.
    Cold River: Rewriting.
    The graveyard man: Just started editing.
    The Journey(longer work): Is put on ice.

Problem with my first drafts is that they are(to me anyhow) usually lacking in description and emotion, so it's always something I need to add when editing. Which in return makes it more like a rewrite. In the end the story has a tendency to change quite a bit, so it feels like I'm constantly starting over. What is this curse? :p

18. Anna100

Anna100 Active Member

I'm now juggling four short stories: Animals (about shapeshifters), Cold River(about a disappearing hiker), One day at the mud station(about a notorious criminal trying to get through a border station) and Stone stairs(about an offended mountain spirit).
    I don't think I'll allow myself to start a new one before I've finished at least one of these.
    They're all in the editing/rewriting stage. And they're all missing an ending.

19. Anna100

Anna100 Active Member

Nooo! I started another story (longer work) called ... another.
    The thing is, I'm already uncertain about it, which means I'm probably going back to the unfinished short stories.
    I'll let the new story rest for a little while and see if I still want to to continue it, though.
    Why do I get so many ideas? :( Discipline is what I need.

20. Anna100

Anna100 Active Member

Well, okay, it's been a very long time since the last post. I started drawing again, and been neglecting writing.
    I haven't written anything on the short stories, but figured I should try and draw a short comic of one of them instead (stone stairs). Still working on that.
    I still think about these stories and want to finish them one way or the other.
    We'll see how these hopeless projects end up (if they ever). :-D

21. Anna100

Anna100 Active Member

Back to writing. My main focus now is the shapeshifter story. I've been rewriting and editing this thing so many times. :dead: One of the problems I have now is whether to write it in English or Norwegian. I think I prefer English on this, but ... I'm not sure. Anyhow I have started new and are still just at the beginning of the story. And this is supposed to be written just for fun. The struggles.