1. Jemnisimi

Jemnisimi New Member

Sailing in on a magic waffle boat~

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Jemnisimi, Apr 26, 2010.

Hi. My name is Jem. And waffle is my favorite word.

Everyone needs a favorite word. Especially if they like to write. Fortunately I refrain from using it in my writings for it is not a very graceful thing. But nor are cute, cuddly-wuddly kittens and they're still grand. Speaking of which, want one? I have four. And six adults. My furbabies.

Never did much like summing myself up in a few paragraphs. Not that I was actually asked to, but I have an obnoxious tendency to elaborate on details and big pictures alike.

Perhaps that's why my writing needs so much help.

I've been writing a fantasy novel trilogy for over five years. While I was in high school, I did poorly on all subjects. Turns out it was largely because I'm sick, but more to the point, I failed English 1 six times. I remember always having problems in school but one thing I really wanted to do well on was writing stories and I thought I was very good, until my grades came back and I scored the worst in the class. Every time.

Who knows if I ever got any better. All I know is that a friend got me into forum roleplaying after I got my first computer and I got so into melding myself with my characters that the burning desire to continue to do so took over my thoughts from then on (and still does). Eventually, however, everyone I used to write with moved on to have real lives, and here I am stuck on disability and begrudgingly forced to write for myself.

Since I was 'abandoned', so to speak, I had only written one short story. It was bad. I knew it was bad. I'm more into interaction partly because I lack a degree of mental focus and energy... and plots just aren't my strong points. But over a few years I became very, very frustrated and decided I would have to learn to write on my own or else I would go crazy.

I rewrote that horrible little short story five times.

A fundament of my personality would have to be my intolerance of doing something more than once, so it came as a surprise to me that I had the patience for this. Also, if I could read it that many times and still realize how bad it was, it meant I could do better. That short story seemed to me like part of something much bigger and more important rather than a standalone story.

Thus begins my writing career. But I lack formal training, especially in the realm of grammar and sentence structure. Much to my horror, I know it shows in my first novel badly, because my writing evolved... in the middle of the story. The editing job has become a waking nightmare. And turns out, I had slowly invented the wheel through my more amateur days, only to discover the wheel had been invented a long time ago. Sure wish I knew I was going to be serious about this a long time ago.

Hopefully I'll find the answers to some very important questions here to help me make something I'll no longer be upset with. I think that would help tremendously. My muse has been seasick lately (waffleboats aren't very stable)... but I guess writing over 150,000 words and then wondering if what you wrote is still trash does that to people.

Told you I have an obsession with digression.

I look forward to meeting everyone (and a big hug to Halcyon!).
    And mister Cogito, I've read and understand the formal introduction you post on everyone's intro thread. Thank you!

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Jem, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

Please read How to Use the Review Room before you post there. Posting your own writing for people to comment on should not be among the very first things you do here. It is worth taking the time to see what other people have done to improve their writing, and see if some of it applies to your writing as well. That is part of why we require members to review other members' work before posting their own for review. On the other hand, there are no restrictions, other than content and copyright rules, on showcasing your work in your member blog.

Also, be aware that posting a piece of writing on any public site, including this one, will greatly diminish your chances of selling it for publication. Removing the writing later does not alter that fact - once posted, it is irreversibly considered published. So do not post anything more than a small excerpt of any piece you are planning to submit for publication.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well, and be sure to read through the forum rules, too, to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Respect for one another is our principal mandate.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize constructive critique as a vital writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). Also, please use the same thread for all revisions and additional excerpts from the same piece of writing. See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

And while you're looking around, don't forget to check out our Weekly Short Story Contest and Weekly Poetry Contest. They actually run more than one week apiece, but any member may enter, and all members are urged to vote for their favorites.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

3. Halcyon

Halcyon Contributor Contributor

Thanks Jem. I'm a man who has never knowingly rejected a hug. :)

Actually, I had a very similar experience to you regarding my first novel. I wrote the first 40,000 words or thereabouts, took a break, came back and finished the novel, then realised later that those first 40,000 words weren't up to the standard of what followed, so I re-wrote large sections of it. I'm glad to say that it has existed as a self-published paperback for a few years now, and has generally been very well received.

So, again, welcome to the Forum, and continued good luck with your writing. :)

4. Jemnisimi

Jemnisimi New Member

I've been desperately trying to rewrite it but it's opened up a whole new can of problems for me. I had read the first 25,000 words over and over again for five years, at least. I can recite them in my sleep. So I found the only way to truly rewrite the beginning without feeling too uncomfortable was to really do a huge overhaul and go as far as to add elements that weren't there before.

In doing so I added a lot more dialogue, but turned tell almost entirely into show. The style may be OK now but I've gutted the background information because sticking those paragraphs somewhat necessary to a rather alien culture within said lines of dialogue is a real no-no. It disjoints the dialogue. On a cursory thought (or what is to me cursory, who thinks entirely too much) I might summarize the problem this way---

The first chapters were originally in the author's voice, but quickly developed into the characters' voice, and what needs explained can't be using internal dialogue without looking like something cheap --- something forced --- and I can't seem to give the same info with dialogue/scenes. It just doesn't come out right.

I realize there probably is no answer for this dilemma, at least not without reading it and knowing what I need to get across, but I suppose sometimes just speaking generally helps. Ne? Perhaps my ramble has slightly loosened some of the knots my mind. ... or not.

Congratulations on your success!

5. brihoppy

brihoppy New Member

Hello from a fellow noob...

I see your 'waffle' and raise you my particular favorite...'undulate'.

Bri.

6. Jemnisimi

Jemnisimi New Member

Eeeehehehe.....

*waffleboat undulates* Blergh. *turns green*

Nice to meechoo. o_O

7. Sezensteal

Sezensteal New Member

Yes, we all have a favourire word.

:eek: Never before have I come across somone who has more cats/kittens than me: I have four cats and two kittens.

Anyway, welcome to WF! :)

8. Jemnisimi

Jemnisimi New Member

My house is a zoo. I have two dogs, too! I need to get on that "uberman sleep schedule"... and sleep only two hours a day so I can do more than just keep them all feeling loved, hehe.

What's your favorite word~?

And thank yoooou.

9. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

It's great to meet you! :D

10. Jemnisimi

Jemnisimi New Member

You too, miss Gigi! *offers waffle*

11. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

*takes waffle* Thank you! :)

My favorite word (or one of them, anyway) has to be Jabberwocky. I love that poem.

12. Jemnisimi

Jemnisimi New Member

Oh wow! I didn't even know that was a real word. It's in the dictionaaaary... *oogles* Learn something new every day.

I have to say one of my other favorite words is 'smarmy'. It's so cute!

13. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

hi, jem--and welcome!

since i just finished downing a yummy breakfast waffle [made from scratch!], i had to take a peek at this thread...

love and hugs, maia

14. Jemnisimi

Jemnisimi New Member

Homemade waffles are the best! Especially with chocolate chips mixed into the batter, and frozen cool whip on top. Mmmm~

Huggabies!

15. Sezensteal

Sezensteal New Member

This might sound weird, but I don't know. I have several words that I like - I remember saying to someone once 'I love this word' after repeating it so many times - but I just can't seem to remember any one of my favourites no matter how hard I try. :redface: I think it's beacuse they either had a weird pronunciation or definition.