Tags:
  1. glennmid101

glennmid101 New Member

Your thought

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by glennmid101, Jun 19, 2008.

I have been toying with an idea for a book. It is about a protracted romance between female sit com writer who falls in love a dashing English actor, who takes LA by storm.

The themes are about troubled relationships with parents who have walked out of their lives.

Interested in your thoughts as a newbie.

glenn

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I should put this to music.

A story concept means nothing. I can tell you now, it has been done before. What matters is how you write it, the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's no point to asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

3. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Cog is correct. There is nothing new under the sun. All themes have found a paper and a pen and a hand to write them.

How you execute the story is key.

4. ChimmyBear

ChimmyBear Writing for the love of it. Contributor

I have to agree here with Cog. and Wrey...Write your story and put all of your passion into it....:)

5. Samswriting

Samswriting New Member

Seems the story you speak of is "a protracted romance, whose characters have a troubled past" the sit com writer, the actor, they are simply professions. The core of the story is the meat of it. If you wish to write a romance then grab pen and paper, or keyboard whatever your poison is and put words down.

I have to agree with previous posters, there is little that has not been done so far as what the core of the story is, however the writer gives it life, Chimmy said it best "write your story and put all of your passion into it" It is YOUR passion in the words you chose that will let the story float.

6. SonnehLee

SonnehLee Contributor Contributor

Poor cog. Maybe you should write a thread stating this then stickying it. Maybe that will cut down on these type posts.

7. SonnehLee

oh, you did. oops. well, then i'm off to search for a nice tune to put that to. *hums a bit*

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Nope. I've already placed such a post under Writing Issues -> Plot Creation, where most of these threads appear. No one seems to read it.

Instead, I'm going to template my response so I can paste it in wherever needed. And since nobody looks at other threads first, they'll never know. :)

9. SonnehLee

There ya go! But i did read the post, and i promise i will never ask this question which i can see you really don't like to answer.

10. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

and i'm getting pretty tired of having to ditto it!