1. Lamat

Lamat New Member

The best profession for writer

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Lamat, Oct 4, 2012.

Choosing a careere can be a great problem for writer. For exemple, journalist often write under the influence of the newspaper language and style. Candace Bushnell worked as columnist and wrote stories about glamour life. So, what profession is the best for writer?

2. wardwolf

wardwolf New Member

Night watchman.

3. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Marriage so your spouse can earn a living while you write.

4. Pheonix

Pheonix A Singer of Space Operas and The Fourth Mod of RP Contributor

Scuba Diving Instructor!

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i think the poster is clearly asking which area of the writing arts is best, not about day jobs...

lamat...
    it would depend on each person who wants to 'be a writer'... on what they're most skilled at and what they most like to write... there is no field in writing that is 'best' for everyone...

6. D-Doc

D-Doc Active Member

An oyster pirate. It worked for Joseph Conrad.

In all seriousness, I've always thought adventurous-type jobs are good inspiration for stories. A man who has held more than one of these types of jobs will have an advantage in the "write what you know" department, and a wealth of material. Problem is a lot of jobs like that are either hard to get, very hard period, or they don't pay well. Personally, I'd like to to experience a few different jobs of that sort (I think my current job fits the bill) before getting a degree and choosing a satisfying career that will continue to provide inspiration (maybe something like police work in a large city). If I ever become successful enough to make a living on writing alone, great. If not, I'll continue to write on the side and hopefully enjoy whatever career I've chosen. I'll tell you one thing, even if I was a full-time writer, I'd still probably want to go out and do something else at the same time. I think going out and experiencing things, having adventures, can tremendously improve the quality of one's writing. The world is amazing, man, and full of inspiration.

As far as writing specific occupations, quite a few have novelists started out as journalists or english instructors. Those jobs will certainly help you learn the craft, but they're definitely not guarantees of success in the fiction world.

7. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

Sounds reasonable.

8. cazann34

cazann34 Active Member

security guard, in an empty building, you'll have plenty of time to think as you make your rounds.

9. mammamaia

why am i the only one here who's addressing the op's actual question, which is referring to writing careers, not day jobs?

it would be nice if someone else would address the various professions within the sphere of writing...

10. D-Doc

D-Doc Active Member

He asked about the best profession for a writer. He never asked about the best writing-based profession or the best profession that incorporates writing. Maybe that's what he meant, but it's not what he said. I assume he means the best career choice for an aspiring fiction writer, since this is a creative writing website. Either way, wouldn't you consider careers that incorporate writing, such as journalism or english teaching, day jobs? There are many professions that could benefit fiction writers and give them a wealth of material to draw upon, but I think the ability of the writer in question is more important than his career.

11. This was very funny.

I'm not sure, to the OP. I've come to the depressing conclusion that I'm going to end up doing something for the rest of my life that I don't want to do... It's difficult to make a good living as a writer unless you get real lucky and have them connections... My ideal job would include writing/editing, a comfortable office... But obviously it would be very dull and whatever I'm writing would be trivial... emails and such.

It's tough to answer. I'm graduating this year so I give it tons of thought and it makes me sad and scared. I don't know what I'm doing for the rest of my life, but I know that I will write for myself on the side, almost like a second job, and I'll pray that I can make some kind of name for myself.

I don't think this answered your question, which I think is kinda vague. But it really depends on each person. Just because we're all writers doesn't mean we all have the same opinions or outlooks... It means we all enjoy writing.

12. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Actually, it's not really clear what the OP is asking. So I'll opine on both.

Day job: as some of the tongue-in-cheek answers suggest, there is no one best day job for the aspiring writer (except the high paying "no show" job arranged by a wealthy family member...sorry, couldn't resist). Any job with depth will provide a wealth of story ideas as well as some specialized knowledge that can give you an area that you can write about with authority. Any job that involves interaction with the public will give you countless opportunities to observe human behavior, listen to all kinds of voices, manners of speaking - a treasure trove of material for characters and dialogue.

Writing profession: as mamma (font of much wisdom hereabouts) said, there is no universal "best" writing job. If, as I suspect, you are asking what writing job might be best as a day job for someone who also aspires to be a novelist, then mamma's answer is still spot on. Writing novels requires a somewhat different approach and skill set than does writing political columns, which differs from news reporting, features, interviews, etc.

To the OP - if you want us to give more specific answers, you need to ask more specific questions. Good luck.

13. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

William Faulkner said the ideal job for a writer would be landlord in a whorehouse. The madam does most of the work, there's nothing but a few simple accounts to keep and a weekly trip out to pay off the local cops. It even gives you some standing in the community, according to Faulkner.

I thought that was pretty funny when I first read it. Of course, I've never tried it.

How 'bout bomb disposal expert? Knowing that you might die any day on the job might be exactly the motivation you need to get your novel finished ...

14. mammamaia

if it were for fiction writers exclusively, there would not be a non-fiction section and a section for essays, would there?...

cog/banzai/daniel...
    why is the all-inclusive site name 'writing forums' then seemingly restricted to 'creative writing' in the site description at the top of the opening page?

are aspiring journalists, copywriters and other non-fiction writers really not wanted and only fiction writers welcome here?... if so, then why are there sections dedicated to non-fiction fields within the realm of the writers art?...

can 'creative' be removed from the welcome heading, to avoid this kind of confusion?...

15. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Creative was ADDED, because that is the principal focus. We don't focus on business writing or writing ad copy, for example. The name Writing Forums is part of the registered site name. Daniel changed the heading to Creative Writing Forums a year or so ago.

We don't prohibit nonfiction, but we certainly don't go out of our way to discuss academic and business writing.

In any case, though, this is off the thread's topic.

16. streondj

streondj New Member

Hey, well I got a sorta career idea, sailor, or yachter.
    It's some of the cheapest living accomodation on the planet,
    and you get to do lots of your own maintenance, and learn frugal living,
    so might even get by on the money you get from being an author.
    Also plenty of inspiration as you can visit many different places.

Some people have whole writing careers based on writing about their boating experiences, such as Lin and Larry Pardey.
    Another possibility is that with the acquired skills of maintaining your own boat, could fix other peoples boats for money.

17. mammamaia

thanks for the explanation... sorry for the digression... m

18. Mikewritesfic

Mikewritesfic Active Member

PhD Candidate. :)

19. cogitatio182

cogitatio182 New Member

I can't think of one single job that trumps all others for writers. Any one job can work, or a host of jobs can bring experience. Most likely this is one of those, "Don't know till you tried" kind of things. I work a day job that I love, and it helps introduce me to new people and ideas all the time. Is it the best? For me, right now, most definitely. For you? Don't know :)

20. Thromnambular

Thromnambular New Member

I really had to look that one up, entirely different from what I thought it was.
    Anyway...

Lamat:
    If you mean a day job, then something that'll either inspire you to write or something that'll leave you with plenty of time off to write.

As for a writing job, you might have to think about where you want to see your writing go. If seeing your stories on television or film would make you happy, then being a screenwriter is the most direct path to that. If you want to see your writing on a video game, you'll be somewhere between novelist and screenwriter. For graphic novels and animation, screenwriting. Books? Then...just write.

21. D-Doc

D-Doc Active Member

I'm glad you brought that up, because I think I was wrong, anyway. Jack London was the oyster pirate. I think Joseph Conrad used to smuggle firearms by sea, or something like that.

22. Youssef Salameh

Youssef Salameh Senior Member

We think, and believe that the best outlet for writers and scholars, in times of tribulations is reading; where the writer has the freedom to choose the subject he desires and travel in it with his thoughts.
    As for the profession, i think it would be better to choose a profession that fits the career of a writer, since writers have a special spiritual degree among people. For example like Doctors, engineers, business administrators, etc... unless material poverty plays a role when we shoul take the best opportunities to elevate our thoughts from life experiences.

23. Calint

Calint New Member

Scientific Writer. Yes I'm serious.

In my job, I have to make sure all my writing (reports, meeting minutes, clinical trial narratives) can flow and have just the right amount of detail. It's helped me learn to write just enough to paint a picture (though I have problems placing those descriptions properly in my stories).

24. Mikewritesfic

Mikewritesfic Active Member

Well said, my friend. The responses to this thread have all been entertaining and informative.