Antagonists are people, too!

Discussion in 'Word games' started by MLKerrick, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Anonym

Anonym New Member

My WIP is set numerous centuries after the slow and painful collapse of modern civilization as we know it. That said, our modern zeitgeist has been made legendary and mythical in their era - much, if not most, other historical periods being hopelessly obscured. So... probably our own time, which is "history" for them. I haven't thought out which of our modern famous people they'd look up to.

The MC(s) was never born. How is the AC different - if at all - and how is their life story different? How is the end of their story different, if at all?

2. ITalkToTheWind

ITalkToTheWind New Member

"The MC(s) was never born. How is the AC different - if at all - and how is their life story different? How is the end of their story different, if at all?"

My AC would have no birthday cake candles to illegitimately blow out.

What is your AC's worst scar inflicted by the MC and how did it happen?

3. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

My AC's worst scar wasn't inflicted by the MC o_O but inflicted by the real evil behind the story and my antag was simply reacting to that, which brought him in conflict with my MC.

My AC, SW: I will have my revenge. They will pay for this.
    My MC, Will: What did they do to you?
    SW: Do you know what it is to be without breath? Do you know what it is to be without hope?
    Will: What would you hope for?
    SW: Hope that things could be different. Breath to know that tomorrow will not be the same.
    Will: What should be different?
    SW: You're not plagued by shadows! You're not haunted by memories of things you should have done and not done!
    Will: Even the living is. Didn't you have such burdens when you still lived?
    SW: They're always with me. There's no end of them! And there is no one to forgive me, no one to take these shadows away because all the things that I have lost are lost forever - the people I have wronged are not here anymore, the places I have given up are buried under centuries of earth! My very grave is abandoned. I watched my brother weep for me, and I can never right that wrong. I stood there and watched them grieve over my death, when I was still here! And when I came out to them, they didn't know me. I've become ugly to them. They didn't see Rucer, they just saw my darkness. When I was living I still had a chance, but when I've crossed the line into this wretched immortality, there's no turning back - what I was then, I always will be now - and only when all the lights went out did I truly realise how dark it is.
    Will: The Soul Keepers gave you what you want - they simply showed you a truth that you've been blind to.
    SW: They said that I would have life!
    Will: What did they ask for in return?
    SW: I gave them my soul.
    Will: The only part of you that was ever of any value.

For the next poster: What did your AC lose to become what he/she is now?

4. Strude

Strude New Member

Long Answer: Addison found her companion Charles, a man she grew up with who helped raise her and take care of her, sleeping with her mother (she's a teenager at this point). This threatened her mothers entire career as a politician and set the rumor mill into full operation. It was also the final straw that began to tear her parents marriage apart and ultimately made her home life a living nightmare. Not only are her parents huge faces within the Galactic Administration (a galactic government) and with the stress of the new rumors put their supports into high gear taking all their attention from her, but they fought endlessly at home in front of Addison. Her parents never blame her for what happened, but she always faced the reality that had Charles not slept with her Mother they wouldn't be in this position. So Addison set to her studies she had intentions of getting into politics like her parents, thinking the rank and money would help her in her personal vendetta against Charles (which was more or less make him actually be responsible for what he did and punish him, because to this point he hadn't actually paid for or taken responsibility for what happened he just left.) During this time she was approached by an entity known as Space, she promised Addison a lot of power by helping her through the ranks of the government, in exchange for becoming what is known as a messenger (I won't exactly explain this) and she agreed. Shortly after this she was given permission to assemble a crew to use as she pleased to help her with her duties. She sought out Charles, who had been on the run for about 10 or so years, and she forced him to become her pirate forced him to do as she ordered whenever she ordered in order to save Space and the universe. She uses this new duty assigned to Charles as the punishment.

Short answer: She lost her freedom, her family life, her sense of home, and feeling of security. She had her entire world crumble around her ears then given a rank and position to do something about it, make something for herself and to punish the one person that ruined it all for her to begin with (or at least the person she assume ruined it all). She then punishes this person by forcing him to work for her and do things he wants to refuse but can't. She manipulates, plots and uses him. She never inflicts harm, she gives him jobs that threaten his life and she reminds him of what he did all the time and lords over him that he can't lay a finger on her.

-- Things get cropped there at the end, without explaining all the background, it seems a bit bland . . .

Your AC is given a chance to eliminate the PC and win. Does your AC kill the PC? If yes, how? If no, why not?

5. Anonym

Anonym New Member

Leon was originally one of the prodigiously successful subjects of Gareth's experiments, and brought him unprecedented accolades within the hypertraditionalist scientific community of the future (an apparent oxymoron, I know.)
    However, not only does the "strain" gradually degrade with Leon's psyche, he eventually gets loose in some vital ways and reeks havoc on (among other things) the influential people who backed Gareth's project to begin with.
    Initially, no, Gareth wouldn't consider definitively extinguishing Leon, but later on, as Leon's mental aberration and escape becomes a dire threat to his career, the future of his visionary project and even the future of mankind, Gareth elects to eliminate Leon at all costs. How? He's not picky. A bullet to the brain, aerial bombardment, choking on a sandwich. Whatever works. Rather out of character for the otherwise calm, collected and level-headed Gareth, he'd be pleased to do it personally - both for revenge and closure.

There's no "winning" in this scenario either way. There are no villains or heroes in my stories, nor clear cut goals. Antagonist/protagonist is just a matter of perspective.

What would your AC not do to achieve their goals?

6. audiopineapple

audiopineapple New Member

There is only one thing Commander Bimbirys would not do and that is kill himself because he needs to be alive to save the world from itself.

Did your AC have villain-like tendancies as a child or is this something that happened when they became older?

7. Bjørnar Munkerud

Bjørnar Munkerud Senior Member

My villain was created as an evil adult human being and will be evil all his life unless his creator decides otherwise, and she probably won't.

Why is your villain a villain, why can't he or she be nice like the others?

8. sunwave

sunwave Member

I'm just trying to get one wish. I'm not harming anyone. Well... I am harming a lot of people, but they will all come back when I have my wish. Nobody will be hurt in the end, and nobody will even remember being hurt.
    If everyone can go back to the life they were living, and the whole world would be the same in the end... the final result is exactly the same as the beginning, except for me being happy. Now... they are the ones
    that don't allow me to collect the needed materials. Then who, I ask you, is the one being "not nice"?

What does your Antagonist not like about him/her/itself?

9. Night Queen

Night Queen New Member

Lilith, as vain and, well, evil, as she is, would never dislike anything about herself. She's beautiful (in a icy, scary kind of way) and powerful enough to become the lover of the most powerful (and also evil) vampire in history, and devious enough to take over the entire vampire race once he was entrapped. She would probably laugh at the idea of something imperfect about herself.

Your antagonist has the chance to go back in time and change one thing. What is it?

10. Geogkrt

Geogkrt New Member

This question is a bit close to home for my antagonist, named Aidan, and he would probably kill you before he ever answered your question. However, if he felt inclined then would answer in some sort of cryptic riddle, mentioning the words, "fire", "Thomas" and "mum and dad"...and then he would kill you.

A sick woman, holding a child, approaches your antagonist and pleads for some money. What does he/she do?

11. T1p2

T1p2 New Member

A sick woman, holding a child, approaches your antagonist and pleads for some money. What does he/she do?

Detective Alyson Rhiese would offer to take the woman to a free clinic and buy them both a meal at a fast food restaurant.
    (yeah...the antagonist of my story is a "good guy". :p)

How would your antagonists life be different is s/he never encountered your MC?

12. DomTheDoxx

DomTheDoxx New Member

Caber, the scientist would have continued experimenting on people until someone (other than Neuro)'s body finally accepted the microbes in their eye. He would probably have killed/deformed many more people, but his facility would have been destroyed anyways.

A short excerpt from the your antagonist's love live (however brief it may have been, or whether it was just a rejection)

13. Shaun4

Shaun4 New Member

Hugo would arrange a one-night tryst with a supermodel or famous actress. He'd use her and then be done, and send her away. Because nobody could replace Julia.

What seemingly minor events would your anti celebrate, and how would they celebrate it?

14. Ferdinand&Alfonso

Ferdinand&Alfonso New Member

ArMyey: Ugh, I'm gonna die of boredom. *turns on the radio* That's better. I thought I would--wait...hey, is that...it IS! *his foot begins to tap rhythmically* YES! I LOVE this song! Woo! *begins to dance wildly, bobbing his head in time with the beat of drums*
    Abnesco: ArMyey, turn that down! I'm trying to connect with my inner... *walks in and gasps* What are you...are you...
    ArMyey: *still dancing, singing along* It's still rock and roll to... *looks up and sees Abnesco staring at him* me...
    Abnesco: Are you ill?
    ArMyey: *blushing* Uh, I was...erm...I had an itch.
    Abnesco: Is it disturbing that this is the first time I've ever seen you happy?

(I couldn't help it. Sorry to humiliate you, ArMyey! :3)

What would your anti be like if he was brainwashed into being GOOD? *gasp*