1. Published on Amazon? If you have a book, e-book, or audiobook available on Amazon.com, we'll promote it on WritingForums.org for free. Simply add your book to our Member Publications section. Add your book here or read the full announcement.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  1. theoriginalmonsterman

theoriginalmonsterman Pickle Contest Administrator Contributor

Announcement Anthology for Poetry Contests

Discussion in 'Bi-Weekly Poetry Contest' started by theoriginalmonsterman, Aug 11, 2017.

As many of you aware, I've been planning on doing an anthology for the poetry contests for well over a year now. But of course I haven't really had too much time to research putting one together. The basic premise was I would select specific poems from the different contests people have put asterisks next to (a method of telling who would be wiling to volunteer their work for the anthology) then take said works and publish them into a eBook, and then sell that online and give the money we make off it back to the forums.

Of course there's plenty of holes in this plan, because we would first have to ensure we have permission from every single author we wanted to include in the anthology. Then we would have to go about actually putting together the book, and then go about publishing it (probably ourselves unless we can find someone who'd be up for it).

With that being said I wanted to put together a thread where we can discuss this openly, and work together to make it a reality. Also hopefully someone on here will be more experienced than me in publishing and will be able to lend a hand.

Feel free to post any feedback you have, and perhaps resources that could be useful. I believe we have more than enough poems to do this now, so I say we give it a go.

2. TheNineMagi

TheNineMagi take a moment to vote Supporter

the self-publisher I know of with lots of info and self-help articles is Lulu.com

http://connect.lulu.com/t5/Publish/tkbc-p/publish

they also have a book manufacturing cost estimator.

http://www.lulu.com/create/books
    about $4 - $18 depending on how fancy you want to get. --- ie. paperback black and white -- hardback in color

what would be cool is to add the theme image if we get permission from the various artists or an image per poem

it really depends on how much the members would be willing to buy this book for.

would they be willing to pay the $40-$50 for a high-quality product, or would it be more in the range of $8-$12 with a simple paper back copy being good enough? maybe have 3 different price ranges.

------
    I would just hope sales are better than our voting average. :D Just a little side guilt trip to those who haven't voted in the contests yet. Tsk tsk. -- voting is free. :p

3. badgerjelly

badgerjelly Contributing Member

You'd be VERY hard pressed to get an actual book made given that the poems can be viewed for free on this site. The e-book seems just about viable. This kind o fidea has more chance of success with short stories I suspect?

4. theoriginalmonsterman

If we're going to do the eBook I would obviously look into advertising it elsewhere to try to get a bigger audience to purchase it. I think it would be safe to keep a downloadable version and a paperback version as well.

I can attempt to get some of the images, but of course not all of them may be available, and if that's the case we'll just include the poems. I also need to figure out a format for the anthology given such the diverse themes we've had. Usually all works in an anthology will revolve around one or a few similar themes. That won't be the case with ours. I'll probably have the poems split off into different sections. Maybe based off the month, rather than the theme, but still include the theme alongside the given poem.

Thanks for the links as well. I'll go through them when I've got time, of course I'd like to hear more peoples' opinions on the anthologies format, and maybe I can work out an example to post on here.

5. theoriginalmonsterman

I suppose it would work better with the short stories, but of course I am the Poetry Contest Administer, so I don't think it'd make sense for me to attempt making a short story book. Although I think that may take more effort, because you'd have to go through and edit all the given short stories, where poems don't really have to be edited except if they have a specific formatting they're done in.

While it is true that all the poems on here are view-able, all of them are sprawled out in month's worth's of contests that can take a bit of time to dig out. An anthology would be much accessible and would be a better way to view the poems. Also people love physical books.

I'm not expecting this anthology to turn over much of a profit. This was just something the poetry contest contestants voted on and wanted, that I thought would be fun to do, and if we do make money off it then we can use that to help fund the forums, so it's a double win.

6. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Staff Supporter Contributor

I just stumbled across this idea just now, and felt like adding a my personal two cents:

There have been discussions about anthologies before (at least for short stories), although they never got past the planning stage. While I don't personally have much to add as regards experience and such in publishing or editing, I do want you to know that I'll follow this project and I hope it will come to fruition. So, if you ever need it, feel free to come to me if you have any questions or other matters to discuss (and I can bring it up with the other mods if needed and if they don't see this topic themselves).
    Whether or not a possible anthology would sell or not, it is still an interesting subject to explore and experiment with. It could give valuable information and experience that maybe can be turned into something bigger, or otherwise help us (the Staff, but also the community) with future projects.

I absolutely love it when normal members come up and volunteer to drive new ideas and projects forward for the benefit of the rest of the community!

(Also, while I don't really read much poetry, I'm not sure I could resist having a community-written WF.org book on my shelf. ;))

7. badgerjelly

badgerjelly Contributing Member

You should try. I'd be willing to add to it no problem. I imagine it would also draw more people to the forum too.

8. VynniL

VynniL Contributing Member Contributor

I can't remember if I was for or against the anthology, maybe for, but I really see it as something that is of benefit to the winning authors and not really the forum. Something they can point to in their writing creds, and just another avenue for exposure. The expectation would be that it would be very low exposure. Still, as my husband loves to say, it's better than a kick in the head.

I think that they've been offered free needs to mentioned, which will automatically stop some from buying. Also, in my mind, poetry is cheap (sorry!). You can get it anywhere for free, I have this wonderful lady on my Facebook who churns it out non stop and I can barely keep up with liking her stuff. She's good and I think someone said she's published. She even reads her poetry, and my only wish is she would hold the camera steady! But my point is that it there would have to be more on offer than just the poetry itself. Ideally, it would explain things like style and the inspiration behind the published pieces or special meanings to the word selection. The meaning of poetry is an individual experience, but I've always found it fascinating to read about the poet's inspiration.

If you were to publish this anthology, I'd make it eBook only. I can't see how the paper copy and postage cost could be justified, when our own members can't even find the interest to click a link. This is not guilting anyone, this is just reality.