1. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

Anthropomorphic or Not

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by MilesTro, Jul 20, 2014.

If an anthropomorphic character use to be human or have human ancestors, would he or she be consisted anthropomorphic? Anthropomorphic basically means an animal or an inanimate object having human traits and characteristics. My characters in War Beast are basically humans with animal traits and instincts. However they look more animal with humanoid bodies. So would they still be anthropomorphic or something else.

2. Mike Kobernus

Mike Kobernus Senior Member

Sounds to me that they are humanoid. They are, essentially human. So I think the term anthropomorphic is wrong for them.

Maybe invent a phrase?

How about ur-man? Ur-Men?

Just spit-balling here...

3. Nothingness

Nothingness Active Member

I think anthropomorphic refers to existing animals or things passing as human for the sake of the story. Like Porky Pig, Bugs Bunny or the Big Bad Wolf.

These don't give you an explanation. They're basically human characters represented as something else.

If it's something like a werewolf, an orc, a krogan, or something else of your own creation it wouldn't be anthropomorphic.

Because you're not having a pig play human. You're having a Blorp play a Blorp.

That's just my opinion though... the definition is a bit out there... when people talk about anthropomorphic that's what they're talking about... but you could also say that a toast with jesus's face on it is also anthropomorphic...

4. obsidian_cicatrix

obsidian_cicatrix I ink, therefore I am. Contributor

Anthropomorphism has to do with embuing or replacing the latent behaviours of the animal, or whatever, with those present in humans so, to me, the fact that these creatures have a genetic reason for being as they are rules it out. Your creatures might be better described as 'parahuman' or 'hybrid.' :)

Mike Kobernus likes this.
  5. SuperVenom

SuperVenom Senior Member

Animal that has human traits. Ie visually animal but twisted to human proportions...antroropmophic. Think furries, soni the hedgehog etc...blagh lol. People argue not the case but thats general consensus.

6. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

On wiki, I found a list of anthropomorphic super heroes and Street Sharks are on that list, which Surprised me because the Street Shark characters were humans who were mutated by the main super villain. I think they should be consisted mutant hybrids instead of anthro super heroes.