1. Charlie Jackson

Charlie Jackson New Member

Reviews in UK newspapers

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by Charlie Jackson, Dec 13, 2017.

I've been told that many UK newspapers will not review books that have already been published. Is this the case?

2. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

I'm not sure what you mean - how long ago are you talking? They usually publish books that are new releases - not much point promoting a book that isn't available to buy.

National and large-circulation newspapers are extremely unlikely to review self-published books. Local newspapers might be interested in self-published books from local authors.

3. Charlie Jackson

4. Charlie Jackson

I didn't think they'd review anything unavailable at that minute either but I was told by a major PR company that that is their standard practice. The books would be published within 1 month or so.

5. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

Books coming out in a month would probably be available for pre-order, so that seems feasible. I'd imagine there's a pretty narrow window to aim for. :)

6. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

The big papers like the observer almost certainly get review copies send to them before they are available in the shops - as tenderiser said this will be the preserve of trad publishers, unless you have a personal connection or are famous for something else

7. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

You're probably looking at ARCs? Advance Review Copies? There's a pretty strong tradition of sending them out a few months ahead of publication so the review can appear on or very near the release date.

I think it may be possible for self-publishers to sign up for NetGalley (which handles a lot of ARC distribution, at least for digital versions) but I'm not sure how you'd persuade journalists to select your book from the oodles available.