1. Virginia Genealogist

Virginia Genealogist New Member

Self-Publishing vs Electronic Publishing

Discussion in 'Electronic Publishing' started by Virginia Genealogist, Jul 18, 2017.

Hello Folks,

Which is best for a biography? Self-publishing or electronic publishing? I am asking this particular question because the project I am working on is a series of lineage narratives. They are sourced and documented life stories, and I don't know how well it will do in the market place.

Thanks,
    David

2. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Self-publishing and e-publishing aren't really diametrically opposed.

Self-publishing refers to the business model (whether there's a publisher involved in selecting, editing, marketing the book or whether the author does it all herself) and e-publishing is a format (books available online).

Most modern books, whether self-published or not, get an e-book version.

Possibly you're thinking of self-publishing vs. using a publisher? My personal recommendation would be to look for a publisher, but it sounds like your work may be too niche to interest them, in which case you may be left with self-publishing as your only option.

3. Virginia Genealogist

Virginia Genealogist New Member

Hello BayView,

That makes sense. It is a niche market for sure. Self-Publishing may be my only option then :}

Thank you,
    David

4. The Kindle king

The Kindle king Banned

I've recently published a soccer player's autobiography here in the UK, hugely successful. #1 in Amazon Kindle and paperback, all my clients are self published, depends on your views on traditional or self-published, best of luck.

5. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

Curious - do you consider yourself a vanity publisher? Cause I do.

ChickenFreak and The Kindle king like this.
  6. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

... in the category 'American Football' according to the screenshot on your website , which is an odd category for a book about actual English football

According to amazon it's currently "#76,334 Paid in Kindle Store" and "#39,087 in books" which isn't what I'd call a best seller or highly succesful

Oddly his kindle version is also the same price as his print book which is big marketting no no and probably explains its woeful ranking

(ETA it's also got a very odd copyright disclaimer in the front which suggests that you have rights over its distribution ... this would be unusual given that its self published )

Trish likes this.
  7. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

But totally consistent with vanity publishing. And that's not a good thing.

8. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Yeah I know ... Trish and I made the point in the other thread .... it would be difficult for him to enforce the rights grab unless the author specifically signed a contract with it though as his rather disingenuous website wording doesn't mention it, and if hes using create space ISBNs (per the other thread) then he isn't the publisher of record either.