1. NewBee

NewBee New Member

Any advice would be great

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by NewBee, Apr 6, 2010.

I got a call today from someone at my church. I was made an offer to produce a monthly newsletter - to include short inspirational stories, poems, community event calendar, church and community news, etc...

Now I'm stuck! I want to think about it for a few days.

On one side, I can be as creative as I want and would love the challenge, (I Hope).

On the other? I've never had to write on a deadline. I'm afraid I will hate it after a while and make an arse of myself in the process. I'm also afraid if I dont do it, I may not have an opportunity quite like it again.

UGH! Help :confused:

2. Nonnie

Nonnie New Member

Farmville, VA. Yep, it's not just your least favor
    I would go for it. It's good to push yourself into doing things you've never had to do before.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Carpe diem.

4. Neha

Neha Beyond Infinity. Contributor

Go for it! I have had a similar offer to participate in something like that of late and I'm considering taking it up. It's one hard work, but the fruits are just as sweet. All the Best :)

5. becca

becca Contributor Contributor

I would go for it. Sounds like fun to me. Just make it clear to people that you want them to submit and share stuff so you aren't scrabbling to find things to put in it.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

not knowing you or what demands your personal life places on you, i won't jump on the bandwagon and say 'go for it' or 'sieze the day' or whatever, because it means making a commitment to the church and its members that you may not be able to fulfill...

only you can measure the strength of your doubts about meeting deadlines... i've edited and written columns for both freebie weeklies and glossy upscale magazines and know what that pressure is like... so, my best advice is to make the decision on your own, ignoring the well-meant encouragement above...

if you really feel you'll have a problem with meeting the deadline regularly, then the only fair/moral thing to do is decline the offer...

but if you think you can hack it, and they'll let you do it on a trial basis for a couple of months, then why not give it a try?... if you find you can't keep it up then no harm's done and you've learned a lot in the meantime...

love and hugs, maia

1 person likes this.
  7. lavendershy

lavendershy New Member

Go for it! If you don't do anything cause you're afraid you won't like it, you won't do . . . well, anything. Not only is it the epitome of cheesy, but it is completely redundant. And the crowd . . . goes . . . wild! *facepalm*

Anywho, yeah, give it a go. You may love it, you may hate it, but you'll learn from it, 'specially if you've not done anything of the sort before.

8. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Definitely. You'll learn, and it'll teach you to write on a deadline and exercize creativity. Go for it!!! :D