1. Sloppy

Sloppy Member

Any Classical Music Fans?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Sloppy, Dec 10, 2015.

I've played classical piano for 10 years, so classical music is such a huge part of my life. I'm a huge fan of jazz (swing, doo wop, blues, ragtime, etc) and old school hip hop as well, but nothing captures the imagination like classical.

Great for studying, getting work done, and even (for me, anyway) writing!

I wanted to see who else had a strong love for classical here and if we could share music. My favorite composer is definitely Chopin, though Liszt and Beethoven are close seconds.

One of my favorite Chopin Nocturnes, Nocturne in C Minor, Op. 48 No. 1 (played of course by the incredible Yundi Li):

T.Trian likes this.
  2. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Yep. I like Chopin, Vivaldi, Mozart and Beethoven, of course. Strauss. Tchaikovsky. And some good Opera.

3. Necronox

Necronox Contributor Contributor

Definitely, perhaps my favorite writing music. I like classical, but I also like that it doesn't have lyrics for my to sing along to and get distracted.... I also play various flutes such as the alto and the soprano flute (E♭), Clarinet and also Penny whistle (or tin whistle).

But I quite enjoy a wide variety of artists and a wide variety of styles and eras which include: L.W Beethoven, Pachelbel, Mendelssohn, Mozart, J.S Bach, Vivaldi, Brahms, Schubert, Liszt, Chopin, Jenkings, Giazatto, Maurice Ravel, Vangelis, Rossini, Strauss II, Pagini. And I also listen to, but not quite as much as the aforementioned: Rachmaninoff, Tchaikosvky and some traditional songs like Greensleeves and some newer or "classical-like" soundtracks from various movies (such as Hans Zimmer or Howard Shore for instance)

Piano is not always my favourite, especially when it is alone...

Perhaps my favourite track is Vivaldi's four seasons. Especially Summer, 3rd movement, the strings..... aaaaah, that feeling.
    Complete:

Summer, 3rd movement.

4. Sloppy

Sloppy Member

@Necronox Wow, that's a lot of instruments, haha. Piano is my all time favorite but I too play a wind instrument: tenor saxophone. That's mostly in the school jazz band though, so not too much classical, but I still enjoy it. Tchaikovsky is also fantastic, and Mendelssohn and Schubert are right up there too. Have you listened to Prokofiev? He's amazing, here's his Symphony No.1 in D major:

Interesting how you don't like the piano by itself? May I ask why? Maybe it's just because it was my first instrument and I've grown so attached to its sound but piano solo performances and piano pieces in general are by far my favorite works in classical.

And of course, the Four Seasons by Vivaldi. Winter is probably my favorite movement. I like the Four Seasons, but I've never really liked too much of Vivaldi. I don't know why.

5. Kit Carruthers

Kit Carruthers New Member

I'm not as in to actual classical as I should be, but I love modern classical... Steve Reich, John Cage, Max Richter and Jóhann Jóhannsson. I looove strings. My favourite instrument is the piano.

6. Necronox

Necronox Contributor Contributor

I don't like the piano because my brother used to play it constantly when I was still living with my folks. Now, I'm just "sick and tired" of piano. That said, I do not mind it if it part of an orchestra or if it an accompanying instrument.

I once tried the saxophone, never much liked it but i was half decent considering I tried it only once. almost all flutes instruments have the same keys or key combinations for notes, so it's actually pretty easy transferring from a flute to a penny whistle. If you look at a clarinet and a flute, you'll realise they are almost exactly the same configuration.

No, havn't listened to Prokofiev. interesting..

7. datahound2u

datahound2u Member

I listened to a ton of classical when I was in my teens, but then I sort of gave it up. Don't know why - just did.

I started picking it up again when I got my first iPhone and was introduced to iTunes. It was a match made in heaven! I could have an array of music at my fingertips - literally - and have playlists based on my mood. Things have come a long way since then, and I frequently use apps such as Songza, to pick my music for me, based on my mood or current activity.

When I write, or whenever I want to meditate, my go-to music is solo piano, either classical or jazz.

8. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Banned Contributor

And of course there's always P.D.Q. Bach.

9. Wolfy Snackrib

Wolfy Snackrib Member

Ah, Chopin. What a pianist mastermind of ridiculous proportions. As for classical, most of my life I have been listening to movie soundtracks which is essentially modern classical music and carries more than a lot of influences from traditional classical music.

10. MichaelP

MichaelP Banned

Yes! I've played classical guitar for many years, and I believe that the guitar composer Fernando Sor was in Beethoven's league. Sor's Study in B minor is one of the most beautiful pieces of music I've ever heard.

Liszt is my favorite of the "famous" composers. His piano pieces Un Suspiro and Liebstraum are orgasmically wonderful, and if there's a heaven, this is the closest music has ever come to it:

11. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Supporter Contributor

Check out Sergej Tanejev, the Overture to Oresteya. Or the symphony 1 or 2 :)

12. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I like Orchestral Hybrid, does that count considering it is base on classical in concept? Though I do rather enjoy Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata. :p

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4Tr0otuiQuU?list=PL-7gDlaHdaPUD6X2qH_UKIEtCz80RoqvN" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. T.Trian

T.Trian Overly Pompous Bastard Supporter Contributor

I've played classical guitar since I was 6yo. My favorite guitarist has to be John Williams, and as far as composers go, I love Dowland (e.g. Can She Excuse My Wrongs), Narvaez (e.g. Chanson del Emperador), Milan, Barrios (e.g. Cathedral, particularly part 3), Faure (e.g. Pavane Opus 50), Stravinsky, Tchaikovsky, Mussorgsky (e.g. the Old Castle), Holst (particularly the Planets symphony), Villa-Lobos, Lauro (e.g. Vals Venezolano No. 2) etc. Too many to name, but needless to say, there's plenty of classical music on our playlists, especially when @KaTrian and I write medieval fantasy or steampunk.

There are also plenty of individual compositions I really like even if I don't usually listen to much else from the composer. E.g. Andrew York's Sunburst is simply amazing, especially when played by John Williams, Yocoh's Sakura Variations played by just about any top level guitarist etc.

14. AManWithAShovel

AManWithAShovel New Member

Sure. Classical is one of those genres that don't really have any bad ones. I especially enjoy slavic music.

Any chiptune fans here? I guess its kind of like classical synthetic music.