1. Kratos

Kratos New Member

Any good books?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Kratos, May 26, 2008.

Just realized this should be in book discussion. Now I feel stupid. Can someone move it?

I'm looking for a new book/series to read for summer. I'm a huge fantasy fan, but I'm looking for something a little different. Here's a list of my favorite books, so you don't suggest something I've read and so you can get a taste of what books I read. They don't necessarily have to be fantasy, but that's what I really like.

-Lord of the Rings
    -Harry Potter
    -A Song of Ice and Fire
    -Wheel of Time
    -Dragonlance
    -Dark Elf Books (FG)
    -Bartimaeus Trilogy
    -Death Gate Cycle
    -Ender Books
    -Tales of the Otori
    -Interview with the Vampire

Thanks in advance. :cool:

2. lessa

lessa New Member

I have just recently started reading books from my husbands collection.
    He is into sci fi and fantasy.
    I am really enjoying books by Eric Flint and David Drake. they team up on many alternate history books.

Mercedes Lackey is another fantasy writer. Owl Flight Owl Sight and Owl Night is a good start to another series she has written.

She has a series starting with This Sceptred Isle which is about elves protecting King Henry the eighths children alive.

3. Cpn. Anon

Cpn. Anon New Member

As I Lay Dying by William William Faulkner. It isn't fantasy, and it's like nothing on the list, but difference is good, and the book is beautiful.

4. Gone Wishing

Gone Wishing New Member

I recommend Neil Gaiman and Lucius Shepard. (Pretty much anything that they've written).

5. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

China Mieville's Bas-Lag series is great.

Perdido Street Station
    The Scar
    Iron Council

You want different? This is different, all right!

6. tehuti88

tehuti88 New Member

"Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell" by Susanna Clarke is a wonderful fantasy book. Set in England during the Napoleonic wars and featuring an alternate history/fairies/magicians theme. The author also has a book of short, semi-related stories.

Long ago I read a book called "The Spellkey Trilogy," I forget the author, but if you can find that I recall it was interesting; very good description and plot.

Then there's this thing called the "Winter Of The World" trilogy ("The Anvil of Ice," "The Forge in the Forest," "The Hammer of the Sun") by Michael Scott Rohan...I've only ever managed to make it through the first book, but it was good too. These are older books though so they might not be as readily available.

7. Lucy E.

Lucy E. Active Member

Tehuti's suggestions are very good, I've actually read a few of those books. Here are the links:

tehuti88

Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, by Susanna Clarke: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0765356155/?tag=postedlinks04-20

The Spellkey Trilogy, by Ann Downer: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0671876449/?tag=postedlinks04-20

Winter of the World Trilogy, by Michael Scott Rohan -
    The Anvil of Ice: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0380705478/?tag=postedlinks04-20
    The Forge in the Forest: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0380705486/?tag=postedlinks04-20
    The Hammer of the Sun: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0380705494/?tag=postedlinks04-20

8. LibbyAnn

LibbyAnn New Member

You might be interested in The Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer. It's similar to other things on your list and it's fantasy :)

A couple others that I love (though aren't necessarily fantasy) are:
    - A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court (Mark Twain) -- hilarious book :)
    - One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (Ken Kesey) - Very different from other books on your list, but very enjoyable IMO!

9. FantasyWitch

FantasyWitch New Member

Anything by David Eddings!

10. companionableills

companionableills New Member

The Abhorsen series by Garth Nix.
    Not exactly fantasy, but Michael Hoeye's series beginning with Time Stops for No Mouse (then The Sands of Time and No Time Like Show Time) is really, really fun.

11. Titania

Titania New Member

Well, there is certainly a lot out there in fantasy...

A couple recent series I've liked and which are pretty easy reads:

• The Second Sons Trilogy by Jennifer Fallon. They're mostly political fantasy, ie no real magic, no elves or dragons or the like, but that could be good since you like ASoIaF. The main character is a genius, which is really fun to watch / read about.
    • The Runelords books by David Farland. A bit more traditional (there is 'magic' of a sort, though it's still not stereotypical), but they have one of the most interesting systems of magic, and culture in general, that I've seen. There are four, maybe five of these.
    • The Kingdom of Thorn and Bone (I think - not sure on that series name, but the first book is The Briar King) by Greg Keyes. I love these. Keyes has an anthropology degree, and it shows - one of his main characters is a scholar / linguist and is one of my favorite characters in any series.
    The obvious things missing on your list (to me) are the Shannara series by Terry Brooks (or any of his other books, really - the Landover series is great poke-fun-at-clichés fantasy and wonderful for a humorous twist) and The Sword of Truth books by Terry Goodkind. Both of those have a lot of books... they'd keep you busy for a while :p They're both pretty typical fantasy. Shannara is, I'd say, a little more LOTR-esque, but some very fun reads and interesting quirks. Ordinarily I would warn you about violence etc. in the Sword of Truth series, but if you're read ASoIaF, you should be fine.

Anyway :) A few things for you to think about there.

12. Kratos

Kratos New Member

I read the Shannara books when I was in 5th grade, I think. I remember I liked them, but I can't remember much about them. I've read many other series, but the ones I listed are my favorites and that I actually remember most of them. I tried reading the Sword of Truth, but it seemed too overly-cliche for me.

13. FantasyWitch

FantasyWitch New Member

Oh how could ANYONE forget the GREAT Terry PRATCHETT!

14. Kratos

Kratos New Member

5th grade...that was a while ago.

15. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Johnny got his Gun - Dalton Tumbro: So good, it turned me into a pacifist.

V. - Thomas Pynchon: Turned me from a die hard Lovecraft and horror fan into a very big Pynchon fan. It really opened my eyes to quility writing outside the horror genre.

Wilber Smith - Men of Men: I now love Wilber Smith too! He is an amazing writer about the troubles of Africa.

The Call of Cthulhu - H.P. Lovecraft: One of my favourte novels by the master himself. As mysterious and cosmicly challanging as you'd expect from him.

The Colour out of Space - H.P. Lovecraft: My all time favourte story.

16. Milady

Milady Active Member

Seconding the Neil Gaiman reccomendation... As I've stated before, His and Terry Pratchett's Good Omens is just about the best book ever.

Piers Anthony books are often... different... And I do like Mercedes Lackey (lessa mentioned her).