1. Adam Bolander

Adam Bolander Senior Member

Middle Grade Main Characters?

Discussion in 'Children's & Young Adult' started by Adam Bolander, Apr 5, 2020.

I've been talking to some other writers on Reddit, and they've convinced me that Henry Rider: Clown Hunter would be better off classified as a middle grade novel than a young adult one. Possible problem: Henry and Ethan, the two main characters, are fifteen and sixteen years old, respectively. Should I de-age them to be more middle school-y? Like, twelve or thirteen?

2. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Contributor

Well.. it really depends on the content of the story and the characters.
    Why would it better as a middle grade novel?

Are the two MCs talking and doing things only teens of that age would know/act like? Cause then de-aging wouldn't make sense.

3. Adam Bolander

Adam Bolander Senior Member

This is what they said:
    "I read [the sample you posted]. It's 100% MG. You are using language (exclamations, punchy sentences) and humor (so many puns...) that is for the 10-15 y/o audience (I not only write and read MG, I also have a 10 and 12 year olds who would find this hilarious). It actually really reminds me of the tone of Captain Underpants (this is a compliment). YA readers would roll their eyes because today's YA is for 16-21 emotionally tortured teenager and you will not win any favors with Splatsy or "but you're a girl!"."

4. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Contributor

I mean, like any advice, take what you will from it.
    They might have a good point.
    Maybe you don't have to de-age them a lot? Like, I can see a 11 year old thinking a 14 y/o would be cool friend to have.

But remember, this is your work, you know it best.
    Who did you write it for? What kind of troubles are you trying to convey? What is there for the audience to relate to?
    No reason why a younger or older reader can't enjoy a story with a very differently aged character then themselves.
    But it has to work and fit well together.

5. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

Depends on what they're up to. Sweet Valley High featured sixteen year old twins but the series was aimed more at twelve year olds (I read it when I was twelve.) The girls didn't swear, do drugs, and their romances were pretty mild. Although ... Jessica did some pretty hair-raising character assassinations on their classmates. She was the 'family-friendliest' sociopath ever written.

You could keep them older but market it to younger kids so long as you don't put in things that might push it into teen territory.
    Just be careful you're not trying to chase an audience.