Any Nano Rebels Out There?

Discussion in 'NaNoWriMo' started by Carly Berg, Oct 31, 2016.

1. TheeFreakShowee

TheeFreakShowee Member

Can never finish what gets started, so yes, guess so. Like someone else said, it tends to be best for getting a big push on a new idea, then stopping and letting it simmer for a couple weeks before going back to it later.

2. ToBeInspired

ToBeInspired Contributing Member

I only use NaNoWriMo based off of hours, not words. If I produced 30k words or 300k words it's the time that really matters.

3. Kater

Kater New Member

NaNo Rebel is an interesting idea. I love the idea of NaNo but I never have time time or focus to really get into it like people do. I also think it would be a waste of time to rush through 50k words in a month, 50k words that are rushed and probably unusable (in my case they would be, anyway). I'd rather go slower and write good work that I can use, that I'm proud of, etc. I might try it this year though to see how far I get and to interact with other people who are doing it.

4. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributing Member Contributor Community Volunteer

My first and second NaNoWriMos were very useful in getting my fiction-writing apparatus oiled up and running--not unlike starting a car in the middle of a very large and empty parking lot and driving it around just to get used to using the pedals and the steering wheel.

But, yes, I find that I can't actually steer at that speed, so I don't do straight NaNoWriMo any more.

5. Edward M. Grant

Edward M. Grant Contributing Member

Last year I wrote 50k words in November, wrote another 50k in December, and published the 100k novel on Amazon in January. It's only made about $500 so far, but it's probably the best novel I've yet written and still sells a copy or three every week.

izzybot and jannert like this.
  6. Samunderthelights

Samunderthelights Member

I get what you're saying, about how the 50.000 words would feel rushed to you, and they would be unusable. But I don't look at it that way. I see the 50.000 words that I have to write in November as an extra motivation to sit myself down and give myself time to write. Which I don't do in other months (except for the Camp NaNo months). Because I'm going to write the story anyway, so why not try and write a big part of it in November? And if I don't get to 50.000, it doesn't matter. I don't lose anything.
    Out of the six years I've done it, only one year did I end up deleting most of it in the end because it was useless. The other years, it was what I had meant to write anyway. Because I didn't look at it as something I now had to rush, I just looked at it as extra motivation. :)

7. Edward M. Grant

Yeah, I mostly use NaNo as an excuse to not have to worry about anything but writing for a month. It's how I've written most of my recent published novels.

It's not so much rushing as just spending more time in front of the keyboard.

Samunderthelights and izzybot like this.
  8. Damien Loveshaft

Damien Loveshaft Member

I'm going to participate in my first nano after trying out a camp... however I may need to rebel so I can continue the series I'm working on... only one part is going to even be 50k+ long and I already got 7k+ words in.

9. izzybot

izzybot Oportet Vivere Contributor

I'm currently just hoping I'll be able to either do NaNo or my homebrew November writing challenge this year at all, because my laptop is still out of commission :rolleyes:

10. jay_t

jay_t New Member

I hate the idea of this stupid thing, to be honest. It screams "oh, my novel would be so good - if only I had time to write it." I find it kind of insulting to professional creative writers.

11. Edward M. Grant

Some of my favorite novels were written in less than a month (if I remember correctly, Moorcock wrote some of his Elric novels in less than a week?). Speed and reader satisfaction are unrelated, particularly if you're able to quit your day job and write full-time.

And many professional romance writers are writing and publishing a novel a month, because they need to in order to keep up with the market. They might take three months to go from 'Chapter One' to a finished, edited ebook available to sell, but they start a new book at the beginning of every month and send it out to their editor at the end of the month.