Any Nano Rebels Out There?

Discussion in 'NaNoWriMo' started by Carly Berg, Oct 31, 2016.

1. archer88i

archer88i Contributor Contributor

People do this stuff in November because they like alliteration. :)

2. Spacer

Spacer Active Member

That's how I feel.

For cheering each other on, there are forums to post weekly progress publicly. (Not one on this board, I don't think.)

The same who feel that 20K is a “book”, I guess.

3. K McIntyre

K McIntyre Member

The point is to get a rough copy done. Then you can go back and polish it, rework it, etc until you have a finished novel. Seems pretty straight forward to me. I'm going to do it for fun, and to finish the rough copy I have just started.

4. jedicounsellor

jedicounsellor New Member

Well, I'm in two minds about working on my novel for the NaNo challenge. Firstly, I think the pace I've set for my novel is too slow and the content too deep to be able to get the 50,000 words written in a month (at the same quality as what I've done so far); my other idea is to write something completely unrelated and keep that book idea on the side for November. I was thinking about writing another romance, this time without holding back the physical relationship. Some might be expected.

5. Logolepsy

Logolepsy New Member

@jedicounsellor I'm thinking of joining NaNo this year, just to train discipline!
    I think it's a good idea to write a story that is unrelated to your current novel.

6. jakeskye

jakeskye New Member

I'm using it to expand a short story I never finished, into a longer novel. It isn't necessarily from scratch like Nano is supposed to be, but it's still in some sense the start of a novel. Sometimes it's difficult to start a novel in November because I'm usually working on several different projects at the same time.

I just aim for the word count goal by the end of the month, whether that's on a new project or on a project I'm already working on.

Logolepsy likes this.
  7. Edward M. Grant

Edward M. Grant Senior Member

The big thing for me is that it gives me an excuse to say 'sorry, can't wash the hamster today, I'm writing this month'. So I can get a lot of writing done without interruptions.

That said, I've been writing almost at NaNo-speed this month too, so I'm clearly getting better at allocating time.

K McIntyre likes this.
  8. K McIntyre

K McIntyre Member

I have started early too. I will be away from home for 8-10 days in November, so I got an early start. I will be taking my yellow pads and computer with me, but ... we all know what happens to the best laid plans.

9. Spacer

Spacer Active Member

They get forgotten when fountain pens and the best laid paper are present.

K McIntyre likes this.
  10. izzybot

izzybot Oportet Vivere Contributor

I completely spaced on the date until about half an hour ago and am not prepared at all, but I searched up a one-word-prompt list so I'm all ready for a story-a-day challenge. If only I'd had about eleven months to get ready for this! :rolleyes:

11. A.S.Ford

A.S.Ford Active Member

If anyone wants another 'writing buddy' on the NaNo site then add me :) my username is A.S.Ford!

12. replicant

replicant New Member

I've only ever completed Nano once, I too often run out of steam and life gets in the way and before you know it you have to write 12k words on a Sunday just to catch up and just...nope.

But I'll be doing it this year, or at least putting in a gosh darned attempt. Starting from scratch off an idea ripped from a Black Mirror ep, no outlines, no planning, no nothing. (I'm gritting my teeth even as I type this because I'm a meticulous outliner/character development charter/family tree plotter; never been a good pantser). Wish me luck.

13. 8Bit Bob

8Bit Bob Member

I don't really have a specific thing I'm doing, I'm just going to try to write more this month :p I think a story a day would be cool, but I'm afraid it would take to much time from my current WIP, since I have very little time to write in the first place :meh:

14. malaupp

malaupp Active Member

I wasn't going to do it this year. But I caved just today. i.e. 10 pm the first day. xD

15. Spacer

Spacer Active Member

Which episode?

BTW, I got the idea that the Orville episode “Majority Rule” was ripped from Black Mirror.

16. Megs33

Megs33 Active Member

i'm going to use this month to write, but it may or may not have anything to do with any kind of WIP. i get in to a bad habit of sitting on the sofa with my laptop waiting for the ideas to come-a-knockin', and well... we know the rest.

instead i want to take each day and start paying more attention to the people around me. find the quirks and the interesting people and write a little blurb each night. nose around for prompts. journal when all else fails. i need to build up my foundation before i start writing; i know your first draft is supposed to be bad... but i want my bad to have a little more depth so i can tease it out later.

that's my plan. it seems realistic enough while actually getting me to do something.

17. replicant

replicant New Member

The "Be Right Back" ep. Playing around with the idea of advanced AI's in realistic human bodies and a service that provides these as companions/spouses/significant others to people in the near-future.

18. Spacer

Spacer Active Member

Put me on your reader list!

Be sure to work in an homage to Satisfaction guaranteed, too!

19. K McIntyre

K McIntyre Member

Absolutely! My local Maryland Writers' Association chapter has a small group of 5-6 of us who are doing NaNoWriMo, and we keep in touch most everyday to cheer each other on. It helps keep me motivated if I am feeling like I don't have time. We can do this!!!!!

20. Spacer

Spacer Active Member

What is a “story-a-day” challenge about? Do they mean little vignettes or single scene? And what level of quality?

21. izzybot

izzybot Oportet Vivere Contributor

For me it's mostly a challenge to actually start and finish something every day, because I'm a chronic procrastinator, so sometimes they'll be more vignette-like and sometimes I'll put more time and effort into them. They might range in length from flash-appropriate to more in the 5k range, depending, but about 2k is a good average. I make no claims or promises about level of quality :p

Of the four I've done so far (haven't finished today's yet), two are single scenes, one is sort of a montage, and one is a brief but complete sequence. Today's will probably be a single scene as well.

Spacer likes this.
  22. Ryan J

Ryan J New Member

I went ahead and started in October, getting about 35,000 words done for the month. I've added 13,000 so far this month, but I honestly doubt I'll be able to eke out enough good content to hit the 70,000 I want. It doesn't help that I'm writing memoirs of my military experiences, so I can't just add stuff by making things up. I have bought a couple comps to ensure I'm hitting the usual 'wickets' for military memoirs that have done well. (Yes, I know the No stands for Novel, but I won't let that deter me!)

23. Storm713

Storm713 Member

Yep, I'm shooting for 10,000 words this November! It's only Nov. 10 and I'm already 99% done with my word count, but I'm only on Chapter 5! So I'm secretly aiming for about 40,000…*grins evilly* be prepared, universe!