1. Ruby in the Attic

Ruby in the Attic New Member

Any other stay at home parent writers on here?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Ruby in the Attic, Jun 3, 2017.

Hi. I am a stay a home mum and I also work from home as a freelance writer and artist. In real life that means that I spent 24/7 doing "mum" things and try and do snippets of writing or art/craft work here there and everywhere which results in very little quality work getting done! That's my problem and why I have searched out this forum for some much needed help!

I do sometimes find small pockets of time in the day to jot down a few notes but I'm not great at small and often. I tend to work better with longer batches of time. I've just spoken to my husband just now about maybe having all day Saturday to get a bulk of work done so that might be something that can happen most weeks but not all as we often have family plans at the weekends.

Are there any other parents here who have the children with them all day? How do you fit in your writing?

I know I need to learn how to write small and often and use Saturdays to consolidate all the notes and drafts I've done in the week but I struggle so much we keeping focused. I love writing but it takes me HOURS to get into the flow of and I flit so much between articles, my novel and my memoirs I have no idea whether I'm coming or going!

Just to let you know, I'm not an experienced writer. I wrote stories endlessly as a child/teen/young adult and then stopped once my eldest (14) was born. I started up again about 5yrs ago and completed a writers bureau course which I loved and have managed to get several bit published since then. But my work is so sporadic as my mind is so constantly cluttered with "mum" things such as chores, what I need to sort for dinner, the children's activities and education etc etc that I struggle to switch off and clear my mind of clutter.

Any advice on how to deal with that? Sorry for the long winded intro! x

2. Pinkymcfiddle

Pinkymcfiddle Banned

nope, was kinda moment that passed me by. Probably should be, probably would be happier for it... but alas, no!

3. Arktaurous34

Arktaurous34 Active Member

Negative but welcome to the community :superhello:

There are tons of super talented people here (not me lol). Hope they can help you achieve your literary goals and offer some insight into writing as a full time mum.

4. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Greetings, welcome, and salutations to the Forum, sirette. :superhello:

It was not long winded (unless you are secretly Hawthorne). :D

There a many a lovely author here, some brilliant, and some mad.:supergrin:

Good luck with your works, and I will C-ya around the Forum.:supersmile:

Have a Wigglefloof :p
    Wigglefloof.jpg

5. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

That's not what I would have thought--I would think that you'd be better off using Saturday to get into focused writing and then do the consolidating and tweaking during the week. Or, alternatively, consolidate every nth Saturday (my first thought was every fourth) if you find that that consolidation work requires too much focus to do during the week.

But I'm not in charge.