1. NiallRoach

NiallRoach Contributor Contributor

Any Poles about?

Discussion in 'Research' started by NiallRoach, Apr 5, 2016.

In my novel I have an expatriate Polish family living in the UK, and I'm having a little trouble with their use of diminutive forms of names.

The daughter, Czeslawa (Spelled right in the thing itself, I promise, but my phone's keyboard is limited), is starting to resent the label of Polish, and rebels against it in a couple of ways.
    The one most relevant is in taking issue with her mother calling a friend (of Czeslawa) Hania, instead of Hannah. As far as I understand it, her mother would use that form of the name despite not knowing the child because it's a little less 'churchy', and because she's an adult talking about a child. Czeslawa would also normally shrug it off, but as she's grown up in England, and because it's a vector fine rebellion, she kicks up a fuss about it.

Does this sound believable to anyone familiar with the culture? I can PM the scene, if it comes to it, but I don't think I should outright post it here.

Thanks in advance!