Any Short Stories That Have Stuck With You?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Masked Mole, Jun 13, 2015.

1. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

I'm still thinking about Ursula Vernon's Wooden Feathers.

2. rider1046

rider1046 New Member

A short story I read many years ago has remained stuck in my mind but I cannot remember title or author. The author was female and the story was about a woman traveling to a remote desert home of an old man to check on his welfare. Beautifully written though I can't remember the plot or outcome. I had no idea this story would stay with me for so long or I would have written down title/author.
    Love the short stories of Hemingway though don't care much for his novels. Also, Bobbie Ann Mason writes an excellent short story.

3. Robert Musil

Robert Musil Comparativist Contributor

I somehow forgot about Joseph Conrad, too...I think his novels are probably more famous, but personally I prefer his short stories. "Il Conde" and "The Secret Sharer" come to mind as particular favorites.

4. MockingJD

MockingJD Member

Anything in Aimee Bender's collection "Willful Creatures." Everything in there is just really really weird..

5. LMThomas

LMThomas Member

Nadleman's God by T.E.D. Klein.

6. js58

js58 Member

Bartelby, the Scrivener - Herman Melville
    The Destructors - Graham Greene

7. Possum

Possum Member

Isaac Asimov's The Last Question and The Dead Past stuck with me a long time.

8. Feo Takahari

Feo Takahari Senior Member

Have you seen the comic for The Last Question? It's pretty amazing.

Possum likes this.
  9. BoddaGetta

BoddaGetta Active Member

A Rose for Emily by William Faulkner really stuck with me for some reason. I can't say I "enjoyed" it, but the way it was written and how unsettled it made me feel makes it an effective work. So I love it for that.

10. DueNorth

DueNorth Senior Member

I recently finished "Fortune Smiles" by Adam Johnson, which won the 2015 National Book Award for fiction--I believe it is the first short story collection ever to win the award. Disturbing content, fantastically written. Definitely worth your time.

11. BWriter

BWriter Member

If you like short stories all you need is Raymond Carver. His work changed how I look at writing and are really entertaining. The story "Little Things" I found particularly powerful. The last line is about as harrowing as any thing I've read. He is up there with my favorite writers.

Steerpike likes this.
  12. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Yep. But, also, check out William Trevor if you haven't read his works. He passed away a few years back. You can get his complete works. He (along with writers like Carver) is often mentioned among the greats of short fiction:

13. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Anton Chekhov? Ernest Hemingway? Flannery O'Connor? Alice Munro? Edgar Allan Poe? Jorge Luis Borges? James Thurber? Hundreds of others?

Raymond Carver is good, but he's certainly not all you need in short stories. There's a huge world of wonderful short stories out there! ;)

Michael Pless likes this.
  14. BWriter

BWriter Member

Just saying that I am a big fan of his work. Obviously there are many other great short story writers. Didn't literally mean any one should only read Carver, you would miss out on a lot if you did

minstrel likes this.
  15. Vagrant Tale

Vagrant Tale Active Member

I've read a ton of H.P. Lovecraft's short stories, and even though The Case of Charles Dexter Ward, Dagoth, and the obligatory Call of Cthulu are all favorites, strangely enough its Nyarlathotep that really stuck with me. The last two paragraphs especially are just so...powerful? Invoking? I'm not sure, but the way that the whole short story accelerates and ups its scale as it goes sends shivers up my spine.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  16. Zorg

Zorg Member

Sea Oak by George Saunders

Everything Ravaged, Everything Burned
    by Wells Tower

The Life and Work of Alphonse Kauders by Aleksandar Hemon

Brief Interviews with Hideous Men by David Foster Wallace

The Sound Gun by Matthew Derby

17. Shbooblie

Shbooblie Senior Member

Guts by Chuck Palahniuk :supercheeky:

18. Goldenclover179

Goldenclover179 Banned

The two most beautiful short stories I've ever read are The Darling by Chekhov and The Nose by Gogol, both for very different reasons.
    The Darling is a wonderful character study and extremely poignant while at the same time containing an extraordinarily dry sense of humor, and The Nose is surreal and vaguely manic, but wonderfully so.
    Chekhov seems to be the most level-headed of the Russian writers; lot of them are like Dostoevsky and Gogol, geniuses but madmen, not unlike DaVinci. Then you have the Turgenevs, the floral, arrogant upperclassmen who are good writers but think far too much of themselves. Then Chekhov is lovely middle ground and brings a sense of calm to the short stories, and practically every short story he's written is absolutely breathtaking.

19. Domino355

Domino355 Senior Member

"The three questions" by Leo Tolsoy. It has a message that I really try to bring to my life

20. esshesse

esshesse Active Member

The Short Happy Life is the first thing that popped in my head when I saw this title.

Another short story is Tolstoy's Three Hermits.

Also a bizarre one called The Outlaws by Selma Lagerlof