1. Kyle Oram

Kyle Oram Member

Attempting to create a fantasy plot

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Kyle Oram, Dec 30, 2015.

So the past few years I have been working on this project that was originally going to be a video game but I would much rather make it a book instead. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on what the best ways to develop a plot. Like, how to introduce characters, explain the setting, throw in bits of lore.

I've been trying to plan the book out before I write it by just jotting down notes for each chapter and deciding what will happen throughout the book before I even begin to write it. Just looking for some tips, thats all

Thanks

2. NeighborVoid

NeighborVoid Active Member

My most valuable tip for plot development is to fully develop the world before writing about it. I usually write multiple exposition documents about the setting, characters, culture, technology, etc. before I actually start creating the timeline. Otherwise, I'd end up bending the world to suit the plot rather than the other way around. That just leads to plotholes. Another advantage to this is that it makes writing multiple interconnected plots extremely easy.

I use a google docs document on a tablet to quickly write down unstructured thoughts about anything from important plot details to minute character quirks before formatting it. There is no order and the sentences are as about complete as the ideas. Most of my better ideas come randomly throughout the day while I am idling, so I take advantage if that.

3. Kyle Oram

Kyle Oram Member

Thankso for the tip. That's what I thought I would most likely have to do to get the best result. I would much rather use peculiar and paper so all my notes are either in hand drawn charts or webs