1. ScribeJun

ScribeJun New Member

any tips on the beginning part of the story?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by ScribeJun, Jul 17, 2016.

an idea I've been fiddling around for a small while, but i'll need pointers for the beginning part

the plot is as follows:

Diel( M.C) had arrived in the capital City of Ica, capital of an alliance-state known as Pangea (Yes based on the super continent 250million years ago for reference) to train to become a guardsman. by the end of the novel (hopefully) he, along with the other people who has trained is thrown into a massive battle, during with he comes out alive, but a bit shaken up due to the amount of people he trained with either dying or severely Injured.

That is the ending i want to pursue. The middle part is mostly about the training, of his interactions between the other recruits (and a few fistfights, because everyone loves violence and drama :) )

However,

I'm having difficulty deciding on whether or not to start the story from one of two ideas (One of which i am in the process of writing up a draft, hashing it out before i forget)

1. MC arrives in the city, gets shown around the place a bit, before heading to petition to become a guardsman

2. story begins with the MC immediately undergoing training, and pieces of his history as well as the backstories of a few others are told in scattered parts of the novel. ( this one i am typing at the moment)

any tips or guidance is welcome
    Thanks.

Additional Info about the world.

Guardsmen are seperated into 5 classes, based on a legend of 5 masters

2. NeeNee

NeeNee Member

I vote for option two, the MC is already started training and you disperse information about his backstory as you go along rather than telling us everything up front. The training sounds like a lot of potential for a dynamic opening which will grab our attention and get us interested immediately and that's what you want.

ScribeJun likes this.
  3. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

What's the BIG THEME for your story? Like, what's it about at its most fundamental level?

If it's about this particular guardsman and his journey through trauma and tragedy? Start where his story changes, when he embarks on the journey.

If it's about the city and the culture and its evolution, as seen through the eyes of an innocent guardsman--start where the city changes, or when the guardsman arrives.

What story are you trying to tell? Start writing where that story starts.

ScribeJun and Gazzola like this.
  4. Gazzola

Gazzola Member

As long as there is some sort of conflict happening right at the start, both are workable.

With Option 1 I think you will have an easier time making the reader relate to Diel because both start at the same point, not knowing anyone or any place in the city. However, it's also the one you will have the hardest time finding an initial conflict for a strong start.

With Option 2 You will have to work a bit more since Diel will already know a few people, places and rules that you'll have to introduce to the reader in an adequate manner, without using exposition. On the other hand, the training itself is a source of conflict, either because of how hard it is or because there's some sort of competition between the classes (or something similar)

You can also take a third option and start during the test to become a guardsman. It's a middle ground where Diel still doesn't know many people in the city and you have an immediate source of conflict as well as a chance to show his motivation (why he wants to join the guards) and skills (what sets him apart).

Edit:
    I didn't figure out how to delete a post, so I'll just say: go with what Bayview wrote.

ScribeJun likes this.
  5. ScribeJun

ScribeJun New Member

it was actually a little bit of everything, but its mostly going to be the first idea you had.

But the first thing I think about in terms of theme when i read your post was : A Trial by Fire.

a little bit about Diel:

His father was a Guardsman, but growing up, he doesnt talk about it, or rather avoids the subject, until Diel finds out later during his "Coming of age" 2 years prior (he is roughly 21 now) during a raid on his home village.

I'll leave it at that, but I feel that the theme of "a trial by fire" (I.E the massive battle i told of earlier in my post) Diel would finally become a Guardsman, but at a cost unknown to him.

hopefully that would make sense.

6. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

It makes sense, but the key thing is that it needs to make sense for your readers, people who haven't seen your posts here, just your writing in your story. Can you make it make sense to them?

ScribeJun likes this.