1. Albirich

Albirich Active Member

Anyone here contemplated changing surname?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Albirich, Sep 10, 2015.

Or added a middle name or two. A lot of authors, at least those I know, add another middle name or the likes to create a catchy abbreviation. George R R Martin = GRRM for example, and then we have JK Rowling, though she had a different reason for creating that abbreviation.

Anyways, I dislike (personal reasons also) my surname and it's kinda Norwegian, thus it will play out badly in English speaking countries, so I've been thinking about changing it. Or well, more than thinking, I've actively been looking these past few days and am planning to change as soon as I find something I like.
    I think I want something catchy, a pen name kinda...if you get what I mean.

What are your thoughts on this? Anything you ever contemplated or planning to do now or a later point in your life?

2. Aaron DC

Aaron DC Contributor Contributor

You can publish under a pseudonym without changing your real life name. Have you considered that option?

outsider likes this.
  3. No-Name Slob

No-Name Slob Member Supporter Contributor

I already have two middle names, so I guess that works out. CFLD. doesn't have a great ring to it, though ...

4. Albirich

Albirich Active Member

Yes I have, but seeing as I'm keen on changing last name anyways it doesn't really apply, or it does, but I don't want to :3

5. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

Yes, I used to think about this a lot. I hated having my father's name because I don't have a relationship with him and his surname is really hard for people to spell and pronounce.

In the end I got married before I got round to changing it, and I took my husband's name purely because I liked it more than my maiden name. I still have to spell it and it still gets mispronounced (he's Indian) but oh well! I did end up with the same initials though which is quite nice.

The downside is, I have a very English/Western name and he has a rather obscure Indian surname, so I am the only person in the world with my full name. That's one of the reasons I would publish under a pseudonym, if I ever get published.

6. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

If I ever get published, it will be under a pseudonym. However, I am also planning to change my surname for real. I have a male surname right now and it just looks really strange. Most Finns don't notice, but some do and when they ask about it, I'm like "yeah, turned out when we got married I wasn't allowed to take the female version of my hubby's surname 'cause the Finnish law doesn't recognize gendered surnames". Changing your name is costly too; about 100 EUR. Meh. :bigmeh:

7. Jeff Countryman

Jeff Countryman Living the dream

YES! In fact, I legally changed my entire name in March of this year (not because I wanted better initials or a 'writing name'). I live in Canada, born and raised, and it was quite the fascinating process! Not only do you have to go through legal process but there's credit cards, memberships, post office name, bank accounts, insurance, mortgage etc. etc. Here in Canada there is also a police check/investigation you must go through to ensure you're not a criminal/terrorist trying to hide.

I changed my full name for two reasons: First, I am gay and legally married my long-time partner this spring and proudly took his last name as my own. Second, I was named after a dog and it was a family joke (I'm 51 and had lived with it long enough).

My family was in a state of absolute shock when I made the announcement. My father is deceased but my mother (84 years old) was VERY upset. My siblings couldn't believe it and almost rioted. In the end though, they all understand my reason and that I wasn't doing it out of anger or trying to hurt anyone. I also had the foresight to take my birth-first-name and use it as my middle name thus allowing my mother and siblings the choice to continue to use it and that made them really happy. Everyone in my life has made the adjustment to my new name, Jeff. They weren't surprised about my legal gay marriage (we've been together for 31 years) but were surprised that we didn't hyphenate our last names - for us it was a personal choice that held deep meaning.

Anyway, think long and hard before making it legal. Talk to family and friends, get advice, look deep inside your reasoning, be prepared for some backlash, and most of all - be true to yourself.

I'm the same guy I used to be but it feels great being the new me too!

Cheers,
    Jeff

Nicoel likes this.
  8. outsider

outsider Contributor Contributor

It's funny the preconceptions we have when conversing with others on t'interweb. I'd rather assumed you were male, probably subliminally due to the Rick Mayall (Drop Dead Fred) avatar. I suppose the penny should've dropped during the in-depth underwear discussion on another thread.:rolleyes:
    Few men, in my experience, would give such thought to the idiosyncrasies relating to a pair of drawers.:p

Sifunkle likes this.
  9. Daemon Wolf

Daemon Wolf Senior Member

I actually pretty much hate my name. Well not too much it just isn't catchy and I never really cared for it which is why I have contemplated changing my whole name to the Pen-name I chose for when I publish my books which is: Wolf MacDowell.

10. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

I've been called "the other dude" and referred to as "he" by many people. :D I quite like the idea of people thinking of Drop Dead Fred talking about writing a romance novel.

Sifunkle likes this.
  11. Jeff Countryman

Jeff Countryman Living the dream

@Tenderiser ...... I thought you were a guy when I first met you :). I remember turning to Allan (my other half) and saying "He's a GIRL!!!" Lol.

@Daemon Wolf ..... Love the first name "Wolf" (always have!). Very macho :) :) :)

Tenderiser likes this.
  12. Daemon Wolf

Daemon Wolf Senior Member

Lol Thanks. I want to change it to that because:

1) I have always used Wolf for when I was saving videogames and later for when I made an X-Box Live account.

2) I have always loved Wolves, they are a great animal filled with love. They fight for each other and for food and take care of each other.

-and-
    3) I have always had a lot of respect for the Scotish and Irish cultures (Lol although I still don't know how to tell the two apart sadly) hence the last name I have chosen.