1. Thank you all for your patience with our technical errors. We think we've fixed it, but please do report anything that's not working right, by posting on the 'minor bugs' thread in Support and Feedback.
    Dismiss Notice
  1. writersclub

writersclub New Member

Any writers with Autism or Aspbergers?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by writersclub, Mar 23, 2021.

I have autism and would love to meet other writers/authors that have it too.

2. minisandwichcake

minisandwichcake New Member

Hello!:) yep!
    How do you feel it affects your writing?
    Personally when I'm reading I hate lengthy descriptions and internal monologues and too many feelings. I like action. So that's what I tend to write too. Even though I've written a 90,000 word novel which I think is fairly fleshed out, I've realised I've never even described what one character looks like. Because I don't picture characters' faces when I read, and I can't picture my own characters' faces. I'm not sure if I need to rethink that and come up with something.

3. writersclub

writersclub New Member

I don't know how it affects my writing. I think you should add descriptions!

4. Fervidor

Fervidor Senior Member

*raises hand*

Aspbergers, here. Supposedly a "mild" case, and I apparently lucked out in the sense that I don't have much of the social disabilities. Like, I can understand social cues and stuff well enough, I have a sense of humor and understand sarcasm and all that. Still, I do sometimes feel like I'm surrounded by aliens whose values don't make any damn sense to me. Seriously, normal people are weird.

5. naruzeldamaster

naruzeldamaster Active Member

I have DiGeorge syndrome, and I think at one point I was diagnosed (never confirmed) with minor Aspbergers.
    I feel like both of them impair my ability to 'process' things, I can multi task and interperate information just fine.
    But everyone else is running on 5G fiber optics while I'm still running on dial up connection. Maybe an exaggeration but it feels that way sometimes especially when I (try to) play fighting games. It gets especially bad when I have to quickly process multiple kinds of information. (hence sucking ass at fighting games)

In terms of writing I think it hinders my ability to connect point a to point B, I sometimes struggle to name characters, and I do a lot of 'telling' when it feels like I'm showing.

6. Maggie May

Maggie May Active Member

My son has aspbergers and MS, he loves to write stories but he does not want to share any and they are usually based upon other stories he has read. Which takes us to reading, he reads all the time any level just about any story.