1. grimmwriter

grimmwriter New Member

Anybody know some theology?

Discussion in 'Research' started by grimmwriter, Apr 22, 2010.

Years ago I was reading an article online concering the after effects of 2012. One was this horrible afterlife scenario from some religion (can't recall which) where we all are forced into these tiny passages to the next world.

Normally the dead can fit into these passages with ease. And they are led by loved ones to the other side. But with 2012, where so many will die at once, the paths will break or disappear somehow.

What's worse, apparently there is also a soul eating monster that is waiting outside of the paths. And we will all be at his mercy when the paths go.

Now my question is this, does anyone know the name of the horrible soul eating monster? I know in egyptian mythology it is the god Ammit. But I think this was more of a babylonian myth, I vaguely remember the name being longer. I've looked online for the past week now, and I just can't find it!

The reason I ask is that in my novel, the main character is traveling in the afterlife and she must get away from the monster so she can continue her journey. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Diamonz

Diamonz New Member

I'm not entirely sure, but in Judaism they believe that the people who go to hell stay there to be punished for 12 months, after that most have their souls burned, you could say its the devil in some kind of form? Not sure if i'm really helping.

I believe the egyptian god you speak of was Ammut, who had a crocodile head, lioness's body and a hind of a hippopotamus, you could maybe base it on this?

I'll try and jog your memory with some Assyrian gods which are closely related to babylonians.

Enmesharra (Underworld God of some sort)
    Lamashtu (Dread female demon, known as "She who erases")
    Ereshkigal (Supreme goddess of the underworld)

Also in Japan card game Yu-Gi-Oh there is a soul eating monster called Bazoo and he in the form of a baboon i think.

Sorry theres nothing more conclusive but thats a few idea i hope might help.

3. grimmwriter

grimmwriter New Member

Thanks so much, that is a great help. Some of the names you mentioned are really familiar. I'll have to research them some more and see if it fits. Truly appreciate your input!

4. Brandon_Trotter

Brandon_Trotter New Member

I am not sure

to be honest I do not know the name your searching for. I do however have a sugestion for some end of the world reaserch material for your novel. There are serval interesting documanty series on history channel that deal with 2012. they are After Math, The Da Vinci Code they do not have much to do with what your looking for. But, I highly sugest watching The Da Vinci Code as it has sevral end of the world religous texts being disected for clues about the possible 2012 as well as who or what will cause it and what the end will be like. I am sorry I cannot help you much

5. grimmwriter

grimmwriter New Member

Thanks for your help! I'll see if I can find those to watch!

6. Sonata

Sonata New Member

The Da Vinci code is not a very accurate source of information, but Dan Brown took most of his research from the book "Holy Blood, Holy Grail" and twisted it to fit his story. However, I'm not sure this will be of much use to you if you are sticking to Babylonian pantheon and prophecies.