1. CreativeWriting

CreativeWriting New Member

Calling all fiction writers

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by CreativeWriting, Jan 8, 2012.

What is the one thing that you are missing and would like to know more about to help you with your fiction writing?

2. Mercury12000

Mercury12000 New Member

I would like the ability to execute plot points more methodically. Generally, I only cross the plot point "bridge" when I get to it. Better outlines, I think, is what I need.

3. forgotmypen

forgotmypen New Member

Well, it'd definitely be nice if ideas came at my convenience. Unfortunately, that's not the reality of things. : ) But I work with what I get.

4. erik martin

erik martin Active Member

I'd like to continue to improve in character development, using POV more effectively, developing a more unique voice, editing, and a whole host of other things if I thought about it longer. I think there is always room for improvement as far as skills go.

5. kablooblab

kablooblab New Member

I'd like to be able to show the story better. I can't really do that at all

6. naomisarah

naomisarah New Member

I would like to know how much review/re-telling of a first novel is necessary in the beginning of the second in a sequel.

7. Mercury12000

Mercury12000 New Member

That's a good one.

8. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

There are so, so many things, but what I would really like is one bestseller behind me, so that I actually know how to go about writing one :D This way I feel I'm guessing at it all the time and I lose confidence way too easily...

9. naomisarah

naomisarah New Member

Thanks! ;-)

10. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributor Contributor

I'd like a way to refer to a vagina in a non-derogatory, non-awkward manner. "Vagina" is too anatomical. "Pussy" and others like it are disgusting. That's really all I need.

1 person likes this.
  11. naomisarah

naomisarah New Member

Vulva?

;-) Okay that was pretty anatomical, too. Good idea though, for all body parts, in fact... "phallus" is also a rather impersonal word while "cock" is, again, too crude for some settings.

12. Helmsing

Helmsing Member

Confidence that my ideas and my ability to write are appreciated......Hmm, I think I just bared my soul.

13. bassbonediva

bassbonediva New Member

The ability to finish a story I start. It drives me up the wall that I have a thumbdrive FULL of started ideas that get about four or five pages in and just...die. I have all these ideas, but they go faster than my ability to type or write, so I lose track of where I am in the writing versus where I am in the telling (in my head) and I lose focus, get frustrated and walk away. When I go to pick it up again at later date, I just sit there staring at it.

14. MVP

MVP Member

I wanna get sauced every night for a week and see which liquor had the biggest influence on my writing...

15. CreativeWriting

CreativeWriting New Member

Thanks for all your comments. I'm working on putting together a blog-style website on creative writing to try and address some of the 'gaps' for writers so your suggestions are much appreciated! I'll post the link to the site when it's up and running!

16. Baba Yaga

Baba Yaga Member

I'd like a previously unknown and fabulously wealthy family member to die and leave me with a mountain of cash so I can spend more time writing stories and less time at work.

Also, I'd like the talent to carefully weave profound philosophical messages into my work without coming across as too didactic.

17. hoggyboy

hoggyboy New Member

i would like to ability to describe an environment/setting better...i generally focus on character dev and the storyline

18. naturemage

naturemage Active Member

I completely agree with you. I always have trouble describing things, probably because I rush through with the ideas first, and then I get lazy and don't want to go back to do the real work. Basically, I need a machine that will hook up to my brain so it can transfer into words the things I see in my head.

19. tcol4417

tcol4417 Member

A 72 hour day.

I'd really like a few of those.

20. Jhunter

Jhunter Mmm, bacon. Contributor

The Happy Place.

?

21. GinnyB

GinnyB New Member

This happens to me too. :)

I'd like to find a way to stop procrastinating and re reading what I've written.

22. Protar

Protar Active Member

Sex perhaps? Also I believe I've heard it called "secret sweetness" or some such in ASOIAF.

Any way enough talk about vaginae (I had no idea that that was the plural until my spellchecker just told me.). To the OP I'd like to be able to develop more morally ambiguous and three dimensional characters. I also want to be able to convey subtle messages so that my readers have to use a bit of intuition.

23. Helmsing

Helmsing Member

Not always

24. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributor Contributor

Actually, "cock" is usually fine, I think. "Dick" is cruder than "cock" is. And you've got great alliteration with "flaccid phallus".

Seriously, the vagina is the one thing you can't refer to just in a normal way. :(
    Calling it her "sex" is as annoying as referring to it as her "pink". I don't like metaphorical references. Metaphorical stuff is as bad as anatomical stuff for sex scenes, as far as I'm concerned.

25. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust Active Member

Usually they just say "between her legs", or some other such non-specific reference.