1. yuriicide

yuriicide New Member

Anyone else find James Patterson a tad 'Boring'?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by yuriicide, Dec 15, 2010.

I have just finished reading James Patterson's "I, Alex Cross". I found the book to be extremely boring and tedious. The plot seemed shallow and character development was just meh. Keep in mind that this is the first book I have read by this author, although I don't think I'll be reading any more by him anytime soon. I really don't understand the praise and positive reviews this guy is getting. If writing like that is what sells, hell, we'd all be rich by now :p Just wondering what are you peoples thoughts on this? Thanks and sorry for the rant :rolleyes:

2. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I tried to read one of his novels, and I couldn't get into it.

But I'm not going to denigrate his work either. No author, even those we might think are brilliant, are going to be liked by everyone. Patterson has clearly done something very right in his story telling and has acquired a large number of fans because of it.

3. yuriicide

yuriicide New Member

I wasn't really trying to denigrate of his work. (Not that you said that) I'm just merely surprised at the amount of praise his work has gotten when there are clearly much better writers out there. Seems a bit mediocre to me.

4. Steerpike

I know you weren't, just making a general statement :)

His books don't appeal to me either (or at least the one I tried to read did not, and I can't remember the name of it).

But I think it is fair to say that writing doesn't have to be stellar in order to tall a good story. In fact, for many lean, modern novels, the writing styles amongst various authors seem to me to be rather generic. But if they are still telling an engaging, captivating story, I think the book will find an audience. Most readers are reading these to escape into the story, and whether the writing is excellent or merely mediocre probably doesn't matter a whole lot.

5. yuriicide

yuriicide New Member

Totally agree with this point. But yes, I understand the story being the main concept..Guess I've been reading too much by Huxley :D

6. FrankABlissett

FrankABlissett Active Member

I'm not a big fan of his novels - what I know of them, they're a bit "blah", imho.

I'm not going to diss him as a writer. He's far better and more accomplished than I! He's also been able to navigate the business side of things quite well. Guess I'm saying that I'd much rather hear his thoughts on the writing process and business than actually read his fiction.

-Frank

7. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

I read a few of them as a teenager. They often had good hooks and were a quick read, for me at least.

But they didn't leave an impression on me or made me think.

I've outgrown them, I guess.

8. popsicledeath

popsicledeath Banned

James Patterson (and his factory of writers) doesn't really appeal to me. I won't say his writing is crap and he's an embarrassment to anything related to quality writing and/or self-respect, as that would be rude and I don't necessarily believe that. I will say I don't respect his methods of having underlings write out ideas and drafts and then Patterson polishing them up and slapping his name in bold on the cover of the books. I'm not even sure if what he's doing with some books is writing, or editing, or maybe just producing the creation of fiction.

It doesn't sound quite as bad as James Frey's writing sweatshop, but still not something I respect.

(feel free to google these things, don't feel like providing links).

At this point in my life and career, I'm usually reading as a form of study, not just for pleasure. Let's just say that a few pages of Patterson's work made me feel confident I could pass and not miss many lessons that would pertain to the kind of writing I want to do.

To each their own, though.

9. Newfable

Newfable New Member

When a writer has a great deal of fans, despite the lack of appreciation that may be received from various writing communities, it can usually be attributed to pandering to fans; anyone would love what they want to see on paper.

As it's been said, poor writing in the market that's well recieved makes me feel that the pressure of publication is lifted, albeit only slightly.

10. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

sadly, that's one of his worst... his earlier works were pretty good and well-written, but since he's franchised himself and turned the writing over to his stable of minions, the quality has sped downhill faster than an olympic alpine gold medalist...

11. Alan Lincoln

Alan Lincoln Active Member

My fiance's brother in law is a big fan of Patterson and knowing i like to read and write in my spare time here and there he keeps wanting me to read one. I don't have the heart to tell him i really REALLY don't like reading his books haha. I just don't want to be rude if you know what i mean but i read 'Along came a spider' a few years ago and thought.. what is everyone so hyped up about with this guy? he's crap!.. to put it bluntly haha. He writes short chapters and writes them in a very booooring fashion!. Okay, Okay, So Im not published and learning to write myself where as he is a best selling author so what do i know right?... well, I've read ALOT, and from what my common sense keeps yelling at me is is that he isn't very good dude.

But fair play he's pumps out these books as if he has an army of Mexican illegal immigrants he's keeping in his basement typing away furiously his 3rd/4th novel of the year. And if I need sleep i read patterson, so I can't be too harsh haha. But luckily i have a good but tough job as a prison officer so that helps tire me out for the night, saving me the mental anguish of spending time with Alex Cross, the forensic phsychologist, detective, FBI agent, government advisor, or whatever the hell he's up to these days. But its like Dan Brown novels, i can't read them without thinking "....I'll never get those hours back! think of the things i could have done!! i could have lived!" and slip in to inconsolable despair. I don't know if you've noticed...... but I don't like Patterson novels very much hahaha. Soz if I have upset you Cross fans, different strokes for different folks eh? :D

12. Steerpike

Nothing wrong with pandering to fans. Writing what you know your fans want to read sounds like a smart business move.

1 person likes this.
  13. spklvr

spklvr Contributor Contributor

I usually think his books starts out good, then get really dull as I continue. Although I have started on several (my brother has quite a few of his books), I don't think I have finished a single one...