1. TMwriting

TMwriting New Member

Amber Alert questions

Discussion in 'Research' started by TMwriting, Jul 24, 2021.

Hello, I'm writing a story in which a baby is kidnapped from a park. No one sees the abduction take place, so there's no description of an abductor or his car. My questions:

1. How likely is it that an Amber Alert would be issued in this case?

2. If an Amber Alert is issued, about how long would/could it take to go out after the baby is reported missing?

3. What (if anything) could delay an Amber Alert from being issued?

Thanks so much for any help you can provide. I really appreciate it!

2. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Not sure of the transmission mechanics, but there was an Amber Alert in RI a few weeks ago that went to everyone who owns a cellphone. I work in a restaurant, and suddenly 100+ cellphones all blew up at once. It was pretty crazy. We thought the city was under attack for a moment.

3. TMwriting

TMwriting New Member

Yes, I've received them on my cellphone as well. But to hear that many go off at once--wow!--that would be incredibly alarming! Thanks for sharing.

4. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

In this case it was a witnessed event with a full description of the perp and vehicle, so that probably went out as close to instantly as possible. I imagine there'd only be a delay if there was some question as to whether a crime had taken place. Like with addict parents, a possible custody retaliation, no witnesses or evidence, or something else fishy. You always hear that an adult has to be missing for 24 hours before they become "missing," but kids are probably declared much faster... especially a bady that can't physically move itself from one place to another.

TMwriting likes this.
  5. Joe_Hall

Joe_Hall I drink Scotch and I write things

not likely given that no one knows the kidnapping even took place...if a kid just disappears they may have wandered off, decided to climb down a storm drain and got lost in the pipes, ect. Unless the kidnapper contacts the parents/guardians with demands, kidnapping would remain just a viable theory. Amber alerts are generally, in my experience, reserved for cases when you know that a kidnapping has taken place and puts the general population on alert for the kidnapper, their vehicle, and the looks of the child with the kidnapper. The point being to harness the general population into a quick reaction to recover the child. If no one knows the kid is missing due to a kidnapping...no one will know what to look for.

6. SapereAude

SapereAude Contributor Contributor

Everything you need to know ... and more:

https://amberalert.ojp.gov/

Catriona Grace and TMwriting like this.
  7. TMwriting

TMwriting New Member

Thank you very much, everyone!