1. naruzeldamaster

naruzeldamaster Senior Member

Anyone Here play that popular block game?

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by naruzeldamaster, Sep 18, 2021.

You know, Minecraft, I was thinking of making a thread where users who do play that game can share their builds. But I'm curious if anyone here even knows about it, or at least OF it. Doesn't matter if you use creative or survival mode to build.

2. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I've played Minecraft a couple of times. Didn't make anything too fancy, just a giant statue of the character pretending it was a god the villagers were worshipping. Even constructed a fence around one villager making a sign naming it 'Heathen'.

3. Lili.A.Pemberton

Lili.A.Pemberton Active Member

I've played it but I haven't played it in years, I think.

4. Lazaares

Lazaares Contributor Contributor

[​IMG]

I enjoy Minecraft. I mostly re-create RL structures or build stuff that looks like it. It's also a good game to visualize some scenes and buildings - as well as spend some time with friends.

5. Lili.A.Pemberton

Lili.A.Pemberton Active Member

Whoa! I never created anything like that. It looks so cool! I never thought of using minecraft to visualize story scenes, but that sounds neat. I was mostly a survival player, but a shitty one because I was absolute shit at the fighting part.

6. Robert Musil

Robert Musil Comparativist Contributor

Came here thinking this was a thread about Tetris. Disappointed.

Vaughan Quincey and Homer Potvin like this.
  7. Vaughan Quincey

Vaughan Quincey Active Member

Currently Reading::
    JG Ballard - Concrete Island
    No. 'That popular block game' is Tetris.
    You had to specify it was something else. If you hadn't, everyone would have assumed it's Tetris.
    Because it is.
    Forever, Tovarich.

8. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

I thought it was jenga.

Hammer likes this.
  9. naruzeldamaster

naruzeldamaster Senior Member

Minecraft is one of the most sold game in the world at the moment.
    I would assume that it's considered 'popular' in recent memory.
    Tetris is equally popular, but nowhere near as widely known these days.
    Speaking of Tetris: Enjoy

10. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

I've probably sacrificed a thousand hours to Minecraft and I really have no idea why. It is entertaining in some respects though if you have a few friends to play with. I prefer survival, especially in the hunt to kill the ender dragon.

I don't know, Tetris has long been phasing out since the mid 2000's. It had a come back heyday first when those graphing calculators at school would play it, and later with the touchscreen phones before mobile gaming took off. But now Minecraft has been eating that place in big gulps. Most anyone under twenty nowadays has played a good amount of it. Even a lot of the thirty year olds like me.

11. SethLoki

SethLoki Retired Autodidact Contributor

I'd say I'm right at the end of the bell curve, demographic wise, as someone who'd play this. Sad story alert, I don't think I mentioned this on the forum (not a sympathy fisher I promise). My son, in his early teens, took to the game as soon as it landed. Something within it really chimed his bells and, in time, he got right into it. World after world he created in that space, each more complex and challenging to both create and play. Beyond the building with blocks and the survival aspect, it had and still has, its own (world) equivalent of electricity and chemistry – he toyed with this for hours to create interactive spaces for many a minecraftite to play and delighted in the praise he got for his efforts.
    The backdrop of his wider life too was helped tremendously by his passion for this game, he aced his chemistry masters and developed such a grasp for logic that when he hit the world of work as an auditor (of chemical testing documents) he v. soon migrated to IT and fledged in super quick time as developer. Big blue chip company it was, and the big ideas he had about what to do with their processes. He caught the eyes of the directors and was set up to be meeting them, he didn't care about money, just his work and keeping anyone who knew him entertained/engaged, but the payrises, they came frequently.
    Sadly a few days after 24th b'day he was diagnosed with Leukaemia; he battled a year with it in which I was his carer. The illness never took him directly (was in remission) but the last round of chemo, well a side effect that led to .. I won't go on—welling. I lost the guy, bang in the middle of covid barely able to see him on his last days.

So a little bit each day I play the ol' Minecraft, granted I use it more like lego but, I think I've mentioned in another thread, you can solidly world-build so I create spaces and maps that I later use in stories.

This is one my boy's creations: https://www.planetminecraft.com/project/an-adventure-through-tv-and-space/ one of his friends is looking after the worlds he created so they don't pass into obsolescence.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2021