1. DarkWoods

DarkWoods Active Member

What jobs have you done and what expertises do you have that could help other writers?

Discussion in 'Research' started by DarkWoods, Sep 28, 2018.

Hi everyone. I just got an idea after replying to one member.

In his reply, he was telling that he is working as a correction officer. I tought that maybe it could be useful for all of us to just describe what we are doing or have done as a living so it could help other writers to learn about a job environment like what kind of relationships happened between correction officer and inmates? What is your daily routine? You understand what I mean?

I will start with me.

For more than twenty years, I have worked as a naturalist in different museums and zoos. My job is to explain nature to kids, families, tourists, elderlies, people with handicaps ... Most of the time, I am doing public speaking in front of groups or sometimes shows or we visit schools.

I am specialized in everything related to Earth sciences, plants, wildlife and ecosystems. One of my passion is to learn about different ways we can increase biodiversity in our backyards by creating a garden that will attract birds, bees and butterflies. I have also done some forest surveys in the North of Canada alone in the woods for a summer.

I have also worked in a golf courses and a grocery store.

If you want to know more about those different working environment, just let me know. I will be happy to help you make your story more realistic :)

And you, what are the different jobs you have done and what are your expertises?

Some Guy likes this.
  2. Mink

Mink Contributor Contributor

I've worked childcare (ages 6 months to 12 years), retail, and had an internship one of the park services. I'm also in school to be an archaeologist, which will be finished next year, and have a passion for history. My first degree was in history with a license to teach Social Studies (grades 7 through 12).

DarkWoods likes this.
  3. JLT

JLT Contributor Contributor

Lemme see...

Short order cook
    Warehouseman for a schoolbook depository (not the one in Dallas)
    Retail salesman for electronic parts
    Health inspector
    Health educator aide, teaching inner city kids how to control the rat problem
    Hang gliding instructor
    Hang glider assembler
    Sailmaker
    Sail Loft foreman
    Hang glider test pilot and sail designer
    Production manager
    Purchasing agent
    Tentmaker, specializing in reproductions of medieval pavilions
    Writer, off and on, while doing the other things

... not your average career path

Some Guy, Alan Aspie and DarkWoods like this.
  4. newjerseyrunner

newjerseyrunner Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022

I’ve always been a computer engineer. I’m an expert programmer and very skilled in mathematics. Quantum mechanics dominate how CPUs work so I have a working understanding of the standard model as well as general relativity. If I don’t know something about physics, I know other people who likely do.

Some Guy, Alan Aspie and DarkWoods like this.
  5. DarkWoods

DarkWoods Active Member

Thanks guys for replying to this thread.

6. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

I was a professional Middle Eastern Dance (aka Belly Dance) performer and instructor for 10 years.

Some Guy likes this.
  7. Privateer

Privateer Senior Member

Army officer, private security officer, navy rating (reserves), coastguard officer, firefighter.

I was an office drone for a few months as well, but I think I've mostly blocked out the memories of that one.

Some Guy likes this.
  8. Necronox

Necronox Contributor Contributor

I'm primarily a historian by the definition that I study and work (well not currently - currently between jobs) within that field.

I have worked (either paid or volunteer) in museums as front of house (tours, dealing with customers, etc...) and back end ("[assisting] curating", research, display management, etc...). I have done research and studies and reports. Currently in between jobs if you do not include a [very] small side job (~1 shift a week) working for university as mentor/student helper

I've also done a lot of random volunteer work around the place, mostly centering in or around historic roles/places. But I've volunteered for a little bit of everything if that counts.

perhaps my most influential experience was volunteering as at a small country museum. the curator there was at least 90 - if not more, and had limited mobility and mental acuity and capability. The management was highly divided and ineffective - and some would even say kleptocratic or corrupt. I was technically at the back end - specifically dealing with cataloguing and the likes. However, due to the ineffective administration I was enventually doing a little bit of everything - curating, researching, presentations/public speaking, etc... Despite the fact I was doing what I think was more work and more important that those purely handing door fees. I was, unlike them, never paid or recompensed for my activities or even my 40m drive to get there.

Still, the history field is, from what i have experienced, extremely competitive and even cut-throat. A lot of people going for a few, poorly paid jobs.

Point is, if anyone wants help in research - particularly concerning european history (or equivalent), PM me.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  9. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Banned Contributor

I don't want to tell too much about myself but I think I can tell this:

I am autistic - as you can figure out from my nick.

Some types of thinking that are usually considered difficult can be very easy to me.

Some types of thinking that are usually considered easy can be very difficult to me.

It can take years for me to get something that NT:s get in seconds - and vice versa.

And this of course makes me very experienced about how people feel and react when they feel threatened with no good reason.

(For instance when I go to any new social or other environment certain personality types just go mad and start to behave like teen age bullies.)

I am an "active & odd" type. I am hyper social. This with my thinking means that I find it very easy to talk with people with not so common interests, histories, skills....

And I'm a Finn. I know something about Finland.

And as a Finn of my age almost all old folks in my childhood and after that were WW2 veterans, evacuees or had something else to do with wars. Those wars were Soviet union against Finland. (Winter War & Continuation War and Cold War from very close perspective.)

10. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

I suppose my personal experience is a source of inspiration. Terror - inward and outward. For over fifty years I lived in my own bubble of bi-polar disorder, severe ADHD, and some autistic symptoms, all undiagnosed for decades. Recent medication has made me realize that the actual world is so quiet (now that the fire alarms in my head are gone). It has given me a perspective I use to describe the cacophony of feelings and emotions that people suffer under stress, and the resulting reactions and drama. It's pretty good for writing.
    Occupationally, inspiration comes from home restoration from early childhood, a bit of retail in highschool, math tutor, office construction (metal framer&rocker), residential electrical, computer operations, computer programming, PC technician, computer lab designer & manager, computer contract consultant, property investor, property manager, more home restoration, then stay-at-home-dad when I no longer had the temperament for the workplace. Any time I was home I had documentaries on 24/7, about everything, even while I slept.
    After the better part of forty years, seemingly common stuff fused together with cosmic, civil, social, and psychological.. epiphanies? I realized how things functioned on an intimate level, how things went together and came apart, how people went together and came apart. How, even historically, everything went together, and how it all blows apart, repeatedly.

Now there has got to be a story in there somewhere. I found two.
    How we put the world back together better, this time.
    How a person puts their life back together, however many times it takes.
    It keeps me occupied.

11. DarkWoods

DarkWoods Active Member

Thany you very much guys for participating in this thread.

If you want to write a story involving a scientist, the best way is to ask a scientist about his job, what he or she does, think, the environment in which the scientist work, the little funny stories that can happen in a lab ... That's the goal of this post.

Alan Aspie likes this.