Tags:
  1. Fronzizzle

Fronzizzle Member

Anyone use the Hemingway Editor or Hemingway App?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Fronzizzle, Mar 16, 2019.

I was unfamiliar with the editor (or app) until my wife pointed me to it. For those unfamiliar, it is a a website (http://www.hemingwayapp.com/) where you can paste your writing and get feedback on all sorts of grammatical items such as sentences that are hard to read, the use of passive voice and so on.

I've used it a few times now, and I have to say that I feel the results are mixed. It seems fine in pointing out some faults in my writing, especially if I have sentences that are too long or difficult to read. Other items appear to be very hit or miss to me, such as when I use the word minimum and it tells me that it's too complex and and to use small or least when neither of those would make sense.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone else uses (or has used) the app and what your thoughts on it are?

2. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

No app is going to replace the human touch. I trust myself more as a writer than I would any app. Although this seems interesting, I don't think I would give something like this so much weight. I don't rely on technology like this when it comes to writing. It sort of presents itself like some sort of shortcut. I have found there are no shortcuts when it comes to good writing.

jannert and Rzero like this.
  3. Ruckus

Ruckus Member

I use Pro Writing aid now but I was thinking about getting the Hemingway app also. The Hemingway app works with Medium (website) so I thought that might be interesting to try out. I still won't change or improve everything they suggest but I do the there is some benifts in using theses apps. especially when it comes to the passive ve vs active voice and eliminationgall the unneeded words.

4. Ruckus

Ruckus Member

no short cuts - I agree with you there but I do think some of us can find basic learning opputunities within these apps, at least that has been my experiance.

5. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan Contributor Contributor

It tells me that 'surely' isn't forceful, 'shall' is too complex, and it really seems to hate it when you say 'all of.'

ETA: After using it for a bit. It's fun to throw things in there and see what comes up, but I don't think it and I would be a good fit.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    Shenanigator and Rzero like this.
  6. big soft moose

big soft moose All killer, no filler. Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Its fine if you want your work to sound like Hemingway - its bugger all use to a serious writer who has any other style

7. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan Contributor Contributor

Just out of curiosity I did this:

[​IMG]

8. HeathBar

HeathBar New Member

I've played around on the app and didn't find it to be very helpful, either (although I tried to convince myself it was a time suck I could justify more than others). That said, it can be useful to see your work marked up in a different format. When I reached the thousandth round of edits I know I was skipping over some parts as I read. This did force me to slow down.

9. Stormsong07

Stormsong07 Living in my own little world Contributor

Interesting. Fiddled with it a bit. I could see it being helpful when I go to edit purely bc it points out all the adverbs, and in editing I plan to pay attention to how many of those I am using. Also passive voice. But overall I don't think it will be all that much help.

10. Mark Burton

Mark Burton Fried Egghead Contributor

Prowritingaid has a web interface that can be used from any web-enabled device:
    https://prowritingaid.com/en/Analysis/WebEditor/Go#
    Having both apps seems overkill to me.

11. Cass Parker

Cass Parker New Member

I tried it and found it very frustrating to use. It had a lot of grammar errors. Pasting a fair sized document was virtually impossible. It would truncate the document in mid sentence.