1. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Anyone wanna beta read?

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by Steerpike, Dec 27, 2022.

Hi, @GuardianWynn -- what kind of timeframe are you looking at?

2. GuardianWynn

GuardianWynn Contributor Contributor

As in how long for someone to read? I'd never try and pressure someone like that.

As long as it takes someone. Or as far as they get before they'd drop it like any book they bought. That's the standard I figured one should go with yes?

3. Steerpike

I am happy to do a beta read. We are swamped at work this week, with end of year and citrus season underway. I would only have a little time to read but that’ll open up a bit after the first week of January. I’ll send a PM

GuardianWynn likes this.
  4. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

An attorney whose workload varies with the citrus season. There's a story right there.

Steerpike likes this.
  5. Steerpike

Heh—that’s something to consider. Although I’ve batted ideas around I’ve never tried to write any fiction relating to law.

After 21 years in private practice I went in-house with a agricultural company last December. Just had my one-year anniversary. An interesting transition and, so far, one I’m glad I made.

6. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Keep those citrus prices down for me, baby. I don't mind spending $1000 a week, but $2-3K like last year is no bueno!

Steerpike likes this.
  7. Steerpike

As soon as they run pricing by the legal department :)

8. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

I assume your restaurants don't serve breakfast or the cost of steak and eggs would have driven you into bankruptcy by now. Some serious price gouging going on there.

9. Homer Potvin

Hell no on breakfast. And I'm closing lunch service anywhere I can, too. Loserville if people aren't drinking.

Steak is actually cheaper now than at any point since Covid. Definitely not at grocery stores, but that's a completely different business model than restaurant supply. Like apples and sea urchins different. Steak purchases we count by the hundreds of thousands of dollars. My main steakhouse spends about $5000 a week in steak by itself.

10. Homer Potvin

Tell them they're assholes for me, please. Limes just shot from $46.95 to $64.95 overnight.