1. Ferb

Ferb New Member

Anxiety Issues

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Ferb, Jul 15, 2009.

I used to be good at keeping my anxiety under control, but lately I feel uncontrollably anxious a bit too often - sometimes to the point where I even get panic attacks. Anyone here ever experience something similar? If so, how do you handle it?

(I normally post these things on anxiety-related forums, but I guess it would be nice to get perspectives from people who don't spend their whole day hanging around anxiety-related forums.)

2. Lavarian

Lavarian Contributor Contributor

Have you noticed any patterns? Is it possible that something specific is triggering your anxiety?

3. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

I normally post these things on anxiety-related forums, but I guess it would be nice to get perspectives from people who don't spend their whole day hanging around anxiety-related forums.
    Heh. Good thinking.

I have a general anxiety disorder and used to take Lexapro for it, but medication is the last thing I would suggest. It's my belief that medicine should only treat what cannot be handled through changing behaviors or therapy.

I find that my anxiety attacks flare up when I am feeling lonely and / or have too much time to think. Changing behavior: Have you been doing something lately that might be triggering you? If you think this is the case but dont know what it is that you're doing (or not doing), keep a day planner for a few weeks and write down when you feel most anxious.
    Or, is something bothering you? Therapy helped me get off Lexapro, and I learned how to deal with my feelings without therapy or Lexapro, just with coping skills. I'm not saying that you need therapy because I know nothing about your condition least of all its causes, but if it is really bad, getting evaluated might not be a bad idea.

Some of the things I do to ease my anxiety:
    - Share it. Depending on the circumstances, I might keep it so private to write in my journal or tell my dog; I might tell someone if I cant help myself.
    - Listen to stand-up comedy. This is my remedy to help me sleep at night. Thinking funny things is like the anathema to anxiety for me. :)
    - Research. This is probably just my own way of dealing with things, but if there is a specific thing that is stressing me out, I find that the best way to deal with it is with knowledge. The more I know about something, the more I can handle it.

Whether those specific tips were helpful or not, the idea is in the same vein. Whenever you feel anxious, seek comfort. I find comfort in communication, research, and laughter --what makes you feel safe? It's kind of a trial and error method with that one, but I found it the most helpful out of all the treatments I used for my anxiety.

Feel better, Ferb. And if you need anything, as you'll probably see in a few minutes, a few of us have anxiety issues; you're welcome to lean on any of our shoulders. :)

4. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

I have a an anxiety disorder as well. As with the previous poster, my anxiety gets worse during highly stressful, lonely, or depressed periods. Working on factors like that, even if they aren't easier, can be simpler. There are endless ways we can relieve stress or make ourselves laugh. Another thing to look into is Cognitive Behavioural Therapy.

5. Velvet Mites

Velvet Mites New Member

Xanax.

6. Carmina

Carmina Contributor Contributor

there are different treatments and combos of treatments. To find what works best...you really should see a medical professional. I can speak of my own experiences with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (which is an anxiety disorder), panic attacks, generalized anxiety, and a nervous breakdown. I find that combination therapy works best. Medication, behavior mod therapy (to teach you face the anxiety and change the way you deal with it), exercise, and meditation work to keep me functional. I also have a very supportive family, friends, and even coworkers. I take Celexa, Buspar, Ativan (as needed) and Wellbutrin (as needed). That is a lot, but after years...we have found the right balance and I function very well. At my worst...I couldn't drive or make a phone call. Anxiety can be very debilitating. I strongly encourage anyone who has it to the point where it has a consistent negative impact on your daily life to please seek professional help. Don't give up on it. It can take a while to find the right therapist, medication, dosage, and plan of treatment.

7. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

This is what I was going to say. I don't have anything diagnosed that would explain anxiety problems that occurred more frequently than the average person experiences it, but at my last job (which I hated. HATED.), it got to the point where I was having anxiety attacks every day at work. Finally, I ended up just quitting because I couldn't handle the attacks anymore.

And then the severe anxiety troubles stopped.

Obviously, if you have an anxiety disorder, there's not going to be a simple quick fix like that, but if you don't, looking at your situation and what could be triggering the anxiety could be a big help.