1. Kstaraga

Kstaraga Active Member

Anywhere to advertise for free?

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by Kstaraga, Jan 21, 2022.

It may sound like a bit of an oxymoron these days "free advertising." Is there anywhere to promote an ebook for free? I've seen lists online of ones that claim they are free, but click the links and lo and behold they charge a fee whether minimal or exorbitant.

I know there's Social Media and a few places to do a free author page or website, but where else is there? Looking for ways to keep getting my name out there :) thanks!

2. Felix J. Léon

Felix J. Léon New Member

Maybe you can try to find a few people who would accept free ARCs in exchange for reviews? I know there's a few paying services of that kind, but if you find the readers yourself, that could be feasible.

Kstaraga likes this.
  3. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

generally with promo you get what you pay for...

that said if you're wide some of the kobo promos are free at point of use...ie you only pay a % of the take when you make a sale.

The other thing if you have a mailing list is to look at mailing list swaps with other authors via story origin or book funnel and like that... course having a mailing list isnt free once you get over 1000 subscribers on most EMS but with 1000 subs you should be making enough to cover the cost

Kstaraga likes this.
  4. Jlivy3

Jlivy3 Active Member

I admire a certain author who writes historical fiction/fantasy because he makes youtube videos about the time period or events from his books. They're brief but informative. I assume he's using the research he's already done for the books. Probably some of the art as well, just add a little stock footage and some animation, and you've got a video.
    Best of all he saves it 'til the end to let you know he's got books for sale based in this time period if you're interested. But you get some solid information first. It certainly pulled me in. I also like that he's honest about it when he deviates from history. He'll admit that he has moved things by a few centuries in a book "because I thought it was cool".

Seems like a pretty good way to reach an audience that is already at least a little curious about the time or place the book is set in. Little or no expense and only some effort to put it all together, since you've already done the research for the book.

Lili.A.Pemberton and Kstaraga like this.
  5. Cephus

Cephus Contributor Contributor

Not that are really worthwhile. The modern world is strictly pay-for-play. If you're not willing or not able to invest in the potential success of your work, you're probably not going to get far. That doesn't mean that you can't try to do some of your own promotion, but it's often a lot of time and work that might be better spent writing.

6. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

The general problem with that approach is getting eyes on your youtube channel, which also goes for blogs, there's so much competition that unless you are lucky enough to have an established youtuber liking your stuff and so causing it to wind up in their followers feeds you pretty much have to advertise... and if you're going to advertise you may as well advertise the book

Cephus and Jlivy3 like this.
  7. Kstaraga

Kstaraga Active Member

Been looking for some, but haven't had much luck. I will continue searching, it's possible I'm not looking in the right places.

8. Kstaraga

Kstaraga Active Member

Yes, it's basically how promotion works is paying money for it a lot of the time, at least for the better stuff.

I'm on Kobo, but I'm using a third party to distribute my books there.

I've been having some luck following some authors on instagram as many are kind and follow back. Also bookstore platforms and the like. I'm slowly building a following.

I have a subscribe button so readers will be notified when my next book or anything comes out, but I don't know a whole lot about mailing lists in general. I know on wordpress or something it's easy to add a "subscribe!" pop up, but I've been sticking with a free platform for now and I don't think they offer that widget.

I'll take a look at Story Origin and Book Funnel.

9. Kstaraga

Kstaraga Active Member

Exactly how it feels >_< I know marketing is always a full time job in itself, nothing is easy about it, but it gets better if you have a following.

I hope to be able to pay for something minimal in the future. For the past few months, it's been hard times so I don't have any extra cash at the moment to spent on book promos.

10. big soft moose

I would suggest going direct with kobo writing life - not only can you access the promo tab but they are also very author friendly, they are pretty much everything we wish amazon would be.

Establishing a mailing list is pretty much the first move -even if you can't afford to advertise put a sign up link in your books so keen readers can elect to stay in touch... not only does this open up list swaps but it also and more importantly builds a core of fans who will buy early and from whom you can draw ARCs without having to pay them

its not a quick process - and trying to shortcut it tends to add a lot of freebie hunting leeches. I've been doing this five years and ive got a solid core of just under 2k... the important thing about the list is that quality beats quantity... its better to have 400 committed super fans than 4000 halfwits who are only on your list because they want something for nothing.

Check out Tammi Labreque's book "Newsletter Ninja"... there's an associated course as well but i can't comment on that since i haven't taken it

11. Kstaraga

Kstaraga Active Member

Thankfully I was able to put a sign up/subscribe link inside my e-book so I'm hoping that will help when it does get in the hands of readers!

Indeed, I figure that it will take some time as it often takes a while to get your name out there, build your following, and marketing is a lot of time and effort.

Congrats on your following =) that takes a while to do, but that's a good thing.

You have a good point about super fans and half wits haha. Plus, the super fans will probably share with their friends!

Thanks =D

12. big soft moose

One thing i would mention is that you can advertise here for free... if you convo me a jpeg of the cover, a short blurb, and the amazon link i'll add it to the members book rotator at top right. Be patient after you've sent it because the interface on the back end is horrible, i have to pretty much code the adverts manually, but i'll get there eventually

you won't get lots of sales but you might get a few

13. Kstaraga

Kstaraga Active Member

Thanks =) I will consider this!