Apocalynomics

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Sclavus, Oct 16, 2017.

1. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

POG?

2. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Damn straight I am (or was) a POG. Nobody's even heard of my MOS, we were so far off the grunt radar.

ETA: I never understood why our weapons required so much cleaning, or how they were able to fail inspections, when the only time they left the armory was for their twice-weekly cleaning.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  3. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

So, what is a POG, exactly?

4. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Backronym: Personnel Other than Grunt. Non-infantry, or non-combat arms, depending on how much of a purist you are. If people in my MOS ever had to fire their weapons, you could be pretty sure that things had gone really, horribly wrong and being overrun was imminent.

5. Sclavus

Sclavus Active Member

It's interesting thinking about how to manage resources in the apocalypse. The only solution I've come up with is to take control of resources like food, water, and ammunition, then ration it out and keep track of what you give to whom. Then you'd have to make sure no one's hoarding a private stock. If somebody's hoarding all the ammo for themselves, it puts everyone in the group at risk.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  6. MythMachine

MythMachine Active Member

Well, after my time in the Air Force, I'd say MREs are a lot tastier than what most people give them credit for... I've had some pretty good MRE brownies, and the chicken soup in a bag isn't bad either.

Iain Aschendale and Simpson17866 like this.
  7. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

British ones are fucking horrible , we used to call them 3 lies for the price of one

MythMachine likes this.
  8. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

What happened to the rifleman's creed, "Every marine is first and foremost a rifleman, this is my rifle, there are others like it but this is mine, without my rifle I am useless" etc

9. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Yeah, about that...

I have a friend, guy who was a little junior to me, who stayed in for twenty-plus years, retired as a Sgt Major. The last time he qualified was something like 1994. Those rules can be pretty flexible when you're busy....

10. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    The problem with MREs (except for the old omelette one, which was vile no matter what you did to it) wasn't that they were horrible, it's that there are only twelve of them at any given time, and at least one (I still have omelette PTSD) is utterly vile. Three meals a day, from dinner day four you're into repeats. On day nine in the field, there's nothing left but the omelettes everyone refused refused to eat, and even the locals know the omelettes are vile and won't trade for them, so you end up trying to trap your food, but the trash pandas won't touch them either, so they're useless as bait.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  11. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I remember my father saying that back when he was in Korea, they weren't marked(?), and when nothing could be heated everyone begged the unopened meal, "Please don't be hamburgers and gravy."

Iain Aschendale and Simpson17866 like this.
  12. big soft moose

We used to buy the raven dehydrated meals from blacks at our own expense and carry them instead - that was fine until you were resupplied and wound up with 'vomit in a bag' ... allegedly it was a hotpot but no one called it that. The best bet was to throw shitload of chilli sauce in and eat it without thinking about what it might be. "Minced greyhound" (mince beef and onions) was also especially repulsive

Also if you are on hard routine you can't cook so you whack some water in and then stick the pouch down your shirt to warm up from your body heat. Under those circumstances its basically like eating slightly warm wallpaper paste

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  13. Sclavus

Sclavus Active Member

When I was young I used to think all the soldiers I didn't see with rifles had them shoved in their pants.

14. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    DADT

15. big soft moose

No they were just pleased to see you ;)

16. Jak of Hearts

Jak of Hearts Active Member

I wrote a story in an apocalyptic setting and had a similar trade system. People just traded what they had for what they needed. I think your problem is when you say "anyone can just join up with a raiding party and go get stuff and trade it." Its not that easy. If you aren't skilled with weapons you'll die. If you don't already have weapons and gear to go on a raiding party you die. If you aren't in good health you die. Its not something anybody can just do and bring back whatever they want. If two people want the same thing and are going to fight over it, you have a 50/50 chance of not coming back.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  17. big soft moose

Also if you aren't part of a big well armed group and I am, and you have something I want why would I trade for it instead of just taking it at the point of gun, or shooting you in the head and stripping your corpse ?

Simpson17866 likes this.
  18. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    [​IMG]

19. Jeremiah Windhelm

Jeremiah Windhelm New Member

I think if you look back at what sorts of things have always been valuable no matter what, you'll find water and food to be the main forms of wealth because they are needed for survival. Outside of that alcohol and medical supplies would be next. Alcohol has more uses than just drinking, it has medical uses and can be used as a fuel if need be. Most pirate "treasure" was fruits and medical supplies in real life. If you are talking about the wealthy, then they would have anything thats required and then some. Anything you didnt need to survive or be comfortable would be a luxury, like cigarettes and certain kinds of weapons. I always found it odd that in post apocalyptic worlds there is no shortage of ammo or gun powder. How come more people arent using bows and spears? Also there can be thing that represent forms of wealth. Like in the Fallout series of games, bottles of fresh water had high value and eventually they became to cumbersome and difficult to transport long distances, so bottle caps would be carried to represent water elsewhere.

Simpson17866 and Sclavus like this.
  20. big soft moose

stockpiles - if the population is drastically reduced the ammunition currently available would last for may years. Also gunpowder isn't difficult to make, so why wouldn't you use the weapons to hand

21. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    I think smokeless powder/cordite is pretty hard to make, and you need to make primers as well. A flintlock muzzleloader is probably the best "sustainable" firearm. The Postman and The Road both pointed out that in the initial stages of an apocalypse, people are going to burn through a lot of ammo before they realize that it's a finite resource.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  22. big soft moose

Or you could follow the deathlands model where most of the population are armed with muzzleloaders, shotguns etc, but some groups have found military stockpiles and are better armed - it really depends on the nature of the apocalypse - after a nuclear war (per deathlands) there'll be very few survivors and records of where surviving stockpiles are will probably be lost (or only on computer an inaccessible without power)

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  23. Sclavus

Sclavus Active Member

I take a lot of inspiration from games, and it's always bugged me how turrets and the like can shoot at you forever. Yes, it makes it a challenge to take them down, but it also breaks the realism when there's not a finite (if considerable) amount of rounds. I'd also like to see guns jam and break in games, or take damage from rounds. All of that would happen in firefights in my story, thus increasing the value of weapons and ammunition.

There also would be stockpiles, but it's true explosive powders aren't hard to make. It's also true they could be hazardous to use in reloaded ammunition, and the bullets themselves would be harder to come by. Casings would be plenty available, but resetting primers runs the risk of misfires. All of that would make those stockpiles a precious resource.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  24. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat has weapons breakdown due to lack of "repair" (cleaning) as a major factor in the game. There's a Russian gunsmith at the base who will clean your weapon for prices approaching just buying a new one. Kind of like the real military, as a matter of fact :)

Simpson17866 and Sclavus like this.
  25. big soft moose

Bullets are easy to cast in lead as well - the real problem is primers - still if it could be done in the 1800s I'm sure it would be doable after a ZA , knowing that it can be done is one of the biggest hurdles. I suspect you'd see a resurgence in revolvers given that semi-automatics are very prone to jamming with poor quality amunition