1. Stormsong07

Stormsong07 Contributor Contributor

Apologies to all the men in advance...

Discussion in 'Research' started by Stormsong07, Apr 14, 2017.

But I need to know how someone would react to being kicked in the jewels REALLY hard.
    A yell? Or more of a strangled grunt?
    Keeling over right then and there, or maybe sinking to the knees?
    Being a female, my experience in this matter is limited...

Context: MC is captured by thugs and is laying on the ground with her hands tied. She managed to slip out of the rope around her ankles. Thug #1 plans to rape her. He stands over her, undoing his belt, not realizing that her feet are untied...and she kicks up at him as hard as she can, getting him in the 'nads.
    Would he yell, which would alert Thug #2? Or just kinda go pale, grunt and hit the ground, allowing her more time to run?
    I dunno, I realize every person is different, but I was hoping for some guidelines based on experience.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  2. Orihalcon

Orihalcon Senior Member

Anything from a whimper to a yell, from gasping for breath trying to say something to really having a go with the swearing. Pretty individual I'd say.

Some would buckle down a bit, knees bent and leaning forward, that sort of thing. In my experience very few actually hold their hands between their legs and the whole falling-down-on-your-knees-and rolling-to-the-side thing is also not common. Sometimes it takes a few seconds for the pain to really set in fully. Sometimes it feels like you got hit in the guts, sometimes it's like someone set your stuff on fire from inside.

Stormsong07 likes this.
  3. Stormsong07

This is what I have for now:

Cletus looked down at Kaelie and grinned. “You are a pretty lil thing,” he said. He threw her down and stood over her, undoing his belt. He didn’t seem to notice that her feet were untied.

Kaelie took a deep breath. It’s him or me, she thought. And I choose me. She kicked upward with all her strength. Cletus emitted a kind of strangled grunt of pain, his eyes going wide. He clutched his crotch and sank to his knees. Kaelie scrambled backwards and stumbled to her feet as best she could with her hands still tied behind her.

So the crotch-clutching is not very realistic? I got that from Hollywood, lol. And it'd be more of bending over then actually falling down...hmm. ok.
    How soon after would he be up to chasing her? Or will that fall entirely on Thug#2?

Edited to add: I'm glad this community is here. Where else could you have a legit discussion about stuff like this? lol

4. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Did you deliberately add a tag for the word "the"?

I mean... do you anticipate that people of the future will be looking for posts that discuss "the"?

:p:rolleyes:

5. Dnaiel

Dnaiel Senior Member

I know it varies from guy to guy. In my case, back in junior high, a girl tossed a basketball to me and somehow I didn't catch it and, somehow, it got me there. I was down for about five minutes. I didn't scream, though. I don't ever recall any guy ever making a noise other than something like an "umph". But hey, there are a ton of videos on YouTube of idiots intentionally taking kicks, sometimes really hard ones. They get up a lot faster than I ever could.

I think some guys might clutch their crotches, but it seems to have more to do with protecting them from further strikes instinctively.

But it all varies from guy to guy, so you have a lot of room to make it the way you need. YouTube "in the nuts" and you can see the "fun".

Stormsong07 likes this.
  6. Stormsong07

@BayView I didn't add any tags. At least not deliberately, lol

BayView likes this.
  7. Stormsong07

I know it seems silly to nitpick this, but since it's the way my MC escapes a bad situation, I want it to be realistic and not cliche, you know? So thanks for the tips.

I probably will YouTube it later, but I'm at work right now and they might frown on that, lol.

8. Dnaiel

Dnaiel Senior Member

Wow. That's almost the way I've always seen it. It's also what I do. But her question was for a particularly hard strike. I think if a woman kicked me like a soccer player would in a fit of rage, I would be down for half an hour.

Stormsong07 likes this.
  9. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

It happened to me just once, and also to a teammate on my hockey team when he forgot to wear a cup. We were just kids (10 - 12 years old) at the time. We both had the same reaction: gasp, moan, fall into a fetal position and clutch our crotches until we could move.

10. newjerseyrunner

newjerseyrunner Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022

I played pickup soccer every weekend for a decade, been hit in the balls many times. Deep breathing helps, so it usually goes something like this:

But we're holding our stomach instead. For some reason, when you are kicked in the balls, your balls hurt of course, but the majority of the pain is focused in the gut.

11. BayView

Yeah, when I've seen it happen to guys, the fetal clutch has been a pretty common reaction.

12. Stormsong07

Good point. I somehow forgot about this, and I used to play co-ed soccer so have seen it happen there too. Fetal position.

13. Phil Mitchell

Phil Mitchell Banned Contributor

Jesus, what kind of guys do you think visit this site?

Thats a misconception about females from scenes like these. (2:30)

In real life, that ain't happening.

Both sexes go down screaming when groin attacked even mildly and both have potential to pass out when hit there hard. So either reaction from the OP can happen so do what your story needs.

14. zoupskim

zoupskim Contributor Contributor

So... here we go.

It's an abrupt pain at first, but you can instantly tell it's about to get worse. There's this stinging in the testicles, with an aching in the gut, sort of in the background of the sting, that starts to grow. If you got REALLY struck HARD, the initial shock can send you down, and grasping is normal. Plus, there's just this gut feeling that everything that made you a man just got shattered. If you are running, or fighting, or pumped up, it's possible to 'fight' through this pain. I once "racked" myself while climbing a rope, and was able to continue, although I had to lay down at the bottom. :p

The strike isn't really all that bad. It's the 'afterglow', that destroys men's souls.

Your groin and stomach starts to ache. Like an aching, nauseous, migraine inducing ACHE. You feel like you might crap yourself, and you want to throw up. Your lower back starts to hurt, and you can feel the nerves INSIDE your stomach, just... just unraveling. I'd compare it to childbirth, just because of what my wife says, but unlike childbirth it passes after about an hour.

Actually, that's a better way to put it. For all you ladies: Just imagine giving birth, or maybe a period, but it only lasts for about an hour, and isn't as bad.

15. OJB

OJB A Mean Old Man Contributor

I would compare it to having the wind knocked out of you, followed by dizziness.

16. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

This. It's the gift that keeps on giving. There is enough time between the impact and the onset of pain to think about it what's coming. I'd imagine it'd be like falling off a cliff and having a few seconds to think, "This ain't gonna end well."

17. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Well while everyone has covered the painful part, not that there is much to add
    other than if hit hard enough may require a retrieval procedure as it it would
    be in the abdominal cavity.

18. NoGoodNobu

NoGoodNobu Contributor Contributor

I don't know about that. I've fallen onto a railing straight in the groin, and it hurt bad, but kinda just like if someone had kicked me real hard in the shin. Or when I accidentally cause myself to get smacked full in the back by a swinging bag of bricks (old work hazard). I've also—from lovely parents forcing me to attempt various sports as a child—been kicked in the groin. Same experience as before.

It's just heavy contact pain, you know? No gasping. Maybe a moan or a bitten off word if that's how I react to pain.

But it's not excruciating, nor does it make me nauseous or dizzy, nor is it anywhere near the caliber of certain menstrual cramps. Being punched in the gut or kicked in the stomach is thousand times worse for me than a groin shot

So I don't think male & female groin shots are equivalent.

(Also, Anakin throughout earlier in the clip also jumped/landed on the back one of of the creatures several times with no visible physical response—she had a longer fall I think though he landed much harder, but they all had a fairly equally suspension of disbelief in that area to my mind)

19. BayView

We've had this discussion on this site before... https://www.writingforums.org/threads/martial-arts.147495/page-2

For what it's worth, I was and am with you - I don't think women are anywhere near as sensitive in that area as men are. But apparently there are women who disagree...

20. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Well there are guys that pay women to kick/stomp/punch them in the balls,
    but that takes a special kind of genius. :)

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  21. Phil Mitchell

Phil Mitchell Banned Contributor

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groin_attack#Female

Anakin has the force lol.

22. OJB

OJB A Mean Old Man Contributor

I was at this club once, and alcohol and money were involved...

Homer Potvin likes this.
  23. NoGoodNobu

Individual thing makes sense and for any woman who says it's excruciating I'm not doubting their experience in anyway; I just find far less variance of description among men's accounts of groin shots than among women's

Also, I think you can hit me hard enough there to make me cry, lose my breath, and possibly feel nauseous and dizzy

But I also think you can hit me a lot of places hard enough to cause that sort of reaction. Its more the strength/intensity of the hit rather than the sensitivity of location (for me)

BayView likes this.
  24. BayView

Yup.

And I think our experience is born out by the different protective gear for various sports... women don't tend to have the same level of groin protection as men do, and I can only only assume it's because it's not as serious when women... most women, apparently... are hit there.

25. NoGoodNobu

Maybe it's also an exposure & angle of the sensitive parts?

We very well might be just as sensitive & vulnerable in our clitoris & vulva, but it's a far more difficult target to get a good whack at than men's testes?