1. badgerjelly

badgerjelly Contributor Contributor

Apps for iPad

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by badgerjelly, Jun 5, 2018.

There is a huge ocean of apps out there and I was wondering if anyone uses iPad for writing too?

I’ve already found some apps I like for creating images and maps, planning etc. Basically, was looking for something for essay writing, and/or novel writing (pref. FREE)

I’ve noticed Scrivo Pro so would like to here if anyone thinks it’s worth the price tag? Cannot find much info on it very easily so a little suspicious.

Thanks

2. Martin Beerbom

Martin Beerbom Senior Member

Frankly, I do not know good free apps for iOS/iPad. The ones I have all cost money, in particular if you want to share across devices. But they're often rather cheap.

Scrivener is on the iPad, and shares with it's Mac/Win counterparts via DropBox. Costs ~$20, I think there are rebates for package deals if you already have the Mac/Win version. I don't know Scrivo Pro; it was one of those apps that allowed access to Scrivener projects when there wasn't an iOS Scrivener. I do know Scrivener:iOS and Scrivener:Mac, and they're well worth their price.

Otherwise, I like markdown editors. Two I have (they also share with Mac counterparts, don't know if there are Win versions) are Byword (~$12) and iA Writer (~$25 is what I found, which seems quite expensive compared to Scrivener... I don't think I paid that much...Good app, though). There are a ton of markdown editors, each with its own specialty.

There's also a note-taking app called Falcon (~$5) that shares with a Mac counterpart that could be used as a writing tool.

There's also Ulysses. It's a very good program that appears like a basic Scrivener (in fact, Ulysses way of being able to combine multiple files into a larger one was an inspiration for the development of Scrivener), but Ulysses has changed to a subscription model that is way overpriced, IMO. I don't like subscription, and the way they changed from one-time payment to subscription left a bad taste with me. Nevertheless, the app itself is fine.

There are some good word processing apps, too. There's of course Apple's Pages (I think you'll get it free) that you should be checking out. There's also Mellel (~$20), which on the Mac is one of the best full blown word processors, and is quite good on iOS as well.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  3. badgerjelly

Scrivener is not available on the iPad. I would likely buy it if it was.

4. Martin Beerbom

5. badgerjelly

Thank you! Funny, when I type in “scrivener” on app search nothing but Scrivo Pro comes up?

6. Martin Beerbom

This happened to me just after Scrivener was added. Something to do with how the App Store indexes, or number of reviews, or such...

7. badgerjelly

I am guessing you highly recommend it too?

8. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Scrivener is great. See, also, Ulysses, which you can get with a SetApp subscription.

9. badgerjelly

Not available in my location :(

If I purchase in another country will it glitch when I return home again? I didn’t know apps were limited by geography?

10. Martin Beerbom

Uhhhhhhh....

I have absolutely no idea how to help you here. I do have two AppleIDs (with two different payment methods, one valid for the USA, one for Germany, from my time working in the US). I do have apps on my Mac from both IDs, and that works rather well (I sometimes have to log in into the other account to get updates, which is annoying, but no big deal). I absolutely don't know how it will work with iOS. My iPad only has 'German' apps on it...

Unless you're able to buy with the same AppleID in another country... That could work...

(As far as I assume, the only reason for limitation by country is for the payment, i.e. tax accounting, so I always thought those limitations were only temporary. I don't know if there could be other licensing issues... hmmmm....

ETA: There are those apps that allow access to information that's only licensed for one country, like TV streaming apps. Those are naturally limited by country. I don't think Scrivener has anything like that. I short, I don't understand why it's limited in the first place.)

After some more googling: The App store should be your home country App store, even if you are in a different country. The App store goes with your AppleID, and its associated payment method, not your physical geographic location. In order to buy in a different country, you would need a payment method valid for this other country, I think. (Gift Cards should work, no need to set up a bank account or credit card there :) ).

11. badgerjelly

Going back to visit UK later in year. Guess I’ll have to wait until then. So bloody stupid!

12. mashers

mashers Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer

Scrivener for iOS is excellent. The Dropbox cloud sync works flawlessly, and means you can pick up where you left off, and all your changes on iOS get pushed back up to your computer. Well worth the investment IMO.