Tags:
  1. Necronox

Necronox Contributor Contributor

Archaic Words?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Necronox, Oct 19, 2018.

So, I've just been noted (within my work) that I use a lot of archaic words like: herein, forthwith, afore/aforementioned, betwix. And that these are not correct and that I should stop using them

So, I've got a fairly simple question. Is it ever fine (or not fine) to use archaic words?

2. nippy818

nippy818 Senior Member

depends on the context. are you writing a modern YA with teenager where it would be out of place, or a period piece, or in a way that it would make sense

3. Necronox

As I said, this is work-related. So I am mostly writing forms, administrations work and sheets, reports, and the likes.

However the context, at least for me, was that it was 'incorrect' English. However as far as I am aware archaic words are still part of the english, they are just seldom used and are thus not incorrect.

They also noted that my 'form' (i.e prose or 'style' I assume) is also 'archaic'. Not sure what that was related to.

Just wondering if anyone has encountered anything like it and how/why/where did they encouter it.

4. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    I hate to say it, but them what has the gold makes the rules. I was recently told to avoid all contractions in my work reports. "It's been a difficult semester" has to read "It has been a difficult semester." They pay, they get to define the style manual.

5. Necronox

Ehh. I'm not being paid nearly enough for them to dictate my wordage. LONG LIVE THE REBELLION.

On a slightly more serious word. Would you say there are any situation into which one usually cannot use archaic words? If so... which one would they be? I'm getting more curious as I never thought anyone would actually get annoyed enough be reading world like "afore" and "betwix" to actually right a report about it...

AbyssalJoey likes this.
  6. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Banned Contributor

If using them makes your writing fluent, you should use them - in the first draft.

Take them (mostly) away in rewriting.

7. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

I use them as emphasis or pause or 'wake up and listen'!
    I love emphasizing the 'ed' at the end of things (like Nigel Thierry, 'numbere-ed')
    My favorites:

Betwixt
    Betwain
    Cloven in twain
    An and Wan
    Wax and wane
    Wither and hither and thither and yon and anon
    Alack and alas
    Forthwith and forsooth
    Verily and vex ed
    Smite and smote

ThunderAngel likes this.
  8. O.M. Hillside

O.M. Hillside Senior Member

The point of words is to convey meaning effectively. If perfectly average people have a mental hiccup trying to read you, that means you're not doing that. Archaic words do that. It's bad writing to do that. In almost every context, but there are probably some exceptions. But it would have to be very intentional, like a period piece or something. Even then, I wouldn't do it too much.

9. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

First, an observation: Of your examples, herein, forthwith, and aforementioned are simply high register words, not archaic. I work as a legal documents translator and these words are all staples of that world because they and their brethren (heretofore, thereof, wherein, etc.) offer a level of precise meaning that requires more verbose constructions at lower registers of writing. Betwix and afore are a different matter because they do not offer anything more than before and between.

So, "those are not correct" is certainly an overstatement. Perhaps what was meant was "that's not the register we use", and your boss simply lacks the necessary register of speech to intone that sentiment more precisely. ;)

Necronox, Steerpike and jannert like this.
  10. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Thank you.

11. AbyssalJoey

AbyssalJoey Active Member

Dude, you made me laugh but your comment it's such a wasted opportunity, you should've said VIVA LA RESISTANCE.

Going on topic, I don't think that using old english is incorrect... at least not the ones you are using, if you were to write "hwaet" instead of "what" then it would be incorrect.

P.S: Since english is not my native language take this with a grain of salt... or one thousand.

12. exweedfarmer

exweedfarmer Banned Contributor

I agree with this totally. The purpose of language is to communicate. If you are communicating with the broadest possible audience, you should use the simplest possible language. I vouchsafe, lever should I be drowned in a tarn.

Iain Aschendale and Some Guy like this.