1. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Mamma Mia!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Wreybies, Jan 10, 2009.

So, we rented and saw this little ditty the other night and I loved it though it was simple and silly. There wasn't a song I didn't know word for word. My boyfriend made fun of me while we watched because I sang every song at the top of my lungs!!!

Yes, I love ABBA. :D

Ever since I was a kid, ABBA has been a guilty pleasure. I'm not really old enough to have been a fan when it was fashionable to be a fan. I came to my love for ABBA when New Wave was still very new, and America was turning it's back on disco as though it had never been, never mind that everyone had danced their pants off for all those years to music you could play in front of your grand-ma without worry for the content.

Anyway...

Am I alone? :redface:

[​IMG]

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

My parents love ABBA and so I grew up listening to them. It's a really good group and the songs are awesome. I love them, too. So, no, you're not alone.

3. lessa

lessa New Member

I loved their music when it was around the first time.
    My husband hated them. But what does he know?

4. bobvinvent

bobvinvent New Member

I loved Abba's songs, with great singing and production, but the film was cloying and unconvincing. Brosnan and Firth can't sing, Julie Walters did her usual schtick and Meryl Streep jumping on beds was too much. The last musical I hated so much was the film of "Evita'. How the hell has it made so much money, reducing the over-50s to tears, apparently?

5. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

I didn't like Abba much the first time round, but after years of suffering rap 'music', a person appreciates the value of pop songs with melody and words that tell a story, even if they are a bit basic. The girls' voices had a pleasing quality, too, which makes for easy listening. Then you add the nostalgia, the blue satin suits--winners every time.