Are any of you opposed to getting tattoo's?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Kaiten350, Jun 9, 2012.

1. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

The topic is tattoos, not graffiti. Please stay on topic.

2. Afion

Afion New Member

Trilby, I know the general definition of graffiti, but I get annoyed when artistic graffiti and everyday graffiti get lumped together. I was just trying(and failing!) to point out that not all graffiti is bad. :)

Cognito, sorry for getting this thread off topic! Can I start a graffiti thread or is there already one?

3. Corey Freeman

Corey Freeman New Member

Before I got mine, I was mostly against tattoos. I have to admit, the power button on the back of my neck isn't quite what I wanted (it's slightly too big), but I really like the outline of a flame I got on my wrist. The fact that I can't even see the other tattoo makes me feel less anxious about it.

The key is really to get something representative of you that isn't all over the place. People who get tattoos with color always freak me out, because I just think they're going to feel bad about them when they fade/stretch. Especially if they're on patches of skin that are going to definitely stretch/wrinkle as you get older. I'm glad that my location choices were parts of my body that won't really change between now and 80 :)

4. kyelena2

kyelena2 New Member

I personally have no issue with them, but the religion I was taught always stated:
    "Your body is a temple to God" and thus many people are against tattoos due to your body being perfectly made by the 'creator'. They told me that changing it in any way is a slap in the face to 'God'.
    Hope this helps!

5. Cayo Costa

Cayo Costa New Member

I'm not actually against ink at all, but I probably won't ever get one. I don't trust myself with decisions like that and a sort of fickleness is the only permanent thing I own. I admire tattoos, to some degree. Or, better put: I admire people who have something that means enough to them that they can get it painted on their skin. I can't think of one, personal thing in the world I don't doubt the immutability of. But man, I do kind of think they're cool.

But to some degree I'd also feel a little imposing on the culture. I heard this from a second-hand source that I trust but I can't swear to the truth of: that while, yes, there are a lot of singular tattoos there also exists, to some degree, a community where it is about the body as a canvas and a singular tattoo is just not part of that. It's about the commitment, about illustrating on your entire being. It's not about the meaning of one image or sentence, but the work of art as a whole, continuing through all the contours, connecting all the times, etc.

A poet told me that.

But I do think it's kind of a beautiful idea, whether or not it's true, and it's just that sort of commitment I lack.

6. aimeekath

aimeekath New Member

I'm not against them, but I don't plan to get any. I think piercings are fine though because they aren't permanent as they can close over.

I would worry about getting a tattoo then realizing I don't like it, I change my mind a lot. Also, I wouldn't really want to 'taint' my body too much because I like the natural look. Additionally, they're bad for you - all of the ink gets caught up in your lymph nodes and turns them blue. Ew.

7. Yoshiko

Yoshiko Contributor Contributor

I'm definitely not opposed to them. Don't have any but I've had one idea in mind since late 2010.