1. Sarah Naidoo

Sarah Naidoo New Member

Are diary entries effective in fiction?

Discussion in 'Novels' started by Sarah Naidoo, Feb 11, 2019.

Hi, I tried searching threads for this question but most discuss the epistolary form of fiction. I wanted to know if adding diary entries (at specific intervals) in my novel could draw away from the plot. Does anyone enjoy reading diary entries or do people generally skim read over these?

2. MusingWordsmith

MusingWordsmith Lively Fred

I think they could add a good bit of depth. I do write diary entries for a character of mine- not a novel character admittedly- and the people who read them seem to enjoy them. There are some books out there that take the form of solidly being diary entries- think Dear America series. I read quite a lot of those when I was younger.

So I would say yes, if you want to, go for it!

Sarah Naidoo likes this.
  3. Iain Sparrow

Iain Sparrow Contributor Contributor

I sure hope they are.

The chapter I'm currently working on, a long, short story length chapter, will have a half dozen or so diary entries. To your question of whether such a device draws the reader away from the plot... if done properly it actually allows you to reel in the reader to the deeper aspects of your story. Diary passages, after all, are just internal thoughts written out by the character. Boom, she's scribbling away in her diary and the reader is right inside her head. It's a very intimate arrangement that you can do loads of fun stuff with. The other cool thing about diary entries within a story told in Third Person Omniscient, is that you get to move effortlessly into First Person.

I won't use the device again in my story, but I'm taking full advantage of it for this chapter.

Sarah Naidoo likes this.