1. sleepindawg

sleepindawg Senior Member

Are fictional news articles a genre?

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by sleepindawg, Jun 19, 2019.

Hey all! :)

The thread title says much about what I wish to find out. I have a story that while loosely fitting into any of a number of genres that I know of (fantasy, fan fiction, and possibly even sci-fi) and one broad genre (flash fiction) I'm thinking that it may also be labeled "fictional news" as a genre.

The work is a fictional news story about a fictional (in the story real) organization who believe a work of fantasy is real as told by a reporter who gets annoyed by the whole thing seeming to be taken as real even by other reporters who he feels should know better.

BTW, the free version of my grammar checker allows that my second paragraph is good as it stands, but it troubles me that it only has one period and no commas. Couple that with the fact that the only punctuation other than that period is a set of parentheses, but then, that's another matter.

I hope I'm making sense here,
    The dawg.

2. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I’d say that your genre is fantasy.

sleepindawg likes this.
  3. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

please edit the title that speeling mistook is making my teeth itch... it's 'articles'

sleepindawg likes this.
  4. sleepindawg

Sadly I can't find an edit button, can someone help me here?

It's clear that there is an edit option because I was able to add this comment by editing, this post but I can't find an edit link for my first post.

5. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

A fictional news story could be satire, but it sounds like you have more going on than just the news story so I don't know.

sleepindawg likes this.
  6. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

I think the word you're looking for is Epistolary, but it's not really a genre unto itself.

7. sleepindawg

Hey again all! :)

I want to thank all who are replying to my thread. :) Even the quietest of you are offering me helpful information.

It is political satire as well as fiction and possibly fan fiction, however, I just thought it might be a genre.

A new word to me, I will have to research it to learn more of its meanings than those from a single online dictionary.

Again, thanks guys,
    The dawg