1. DefinitelyMaybe

DefinitelyMaybe Contributor Contributor

Ker-ching!

Discussion in 'Research' started by DefinitelyMaybe, Nov 5, 2015.

Do people in various countries around the world know what "ker-ching!" means?

While I'm here, what are some informal word for 'toilet' that might be used by an extremely informal person in various countries in the world. Would 'lav' or 'loo' be generally understood?

2. Imaginarily

Imaginarily Disparu en Mer Contributor

Sounds like money to me. (US)

edit: Typically we'll say "cha-ching" or "ka-ching," but yeah. It's the sound of a cash register which equals money.

DefinitelyMaybe likes this.
  3. Imaginarily

Imaginarily Disparu en Mer Contributor

As for toilets, we don't say lav or loo over here in the US. We'll know what you mean, but it's not our lingo. I've heard: John, can, crapper, head ("I gotta hit the head")...

In casual conversation, most of us with manners will say bathroom. "I need to use/go to the bathroom."

Hope that helps. :agreed:

DefinitelyMaybe likes this.
  4. DefinitelyMaybe

DefinitelyMaybe Contributor Contributor

My character is extremely laid back, manners would too much effort. :) 'Crapper' may be a step too far. I was tempted to use 'shitter', but that was a bit too crude for him too.

I've decided to Americanise oops 'Americanize' the story, as it's going over the pond. I've noted that in a couple of my previous stories the spelling was Americanized somewhere between when the story left me and when it appeared :)

Thanks muchly @Imaginarily

All this for a story of less than 500 words :)

Imaginarily likes this.
  5. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

"Head", or "heads", is a naval term for the toilet.

Of course, there's always the Australian "dunny" - which is, apparently, "an underground passage or cellar, especially in a tenement" to the Scots

Dunny or dunny can is Australian slang for toilet, either the room or the specific fixture, especially an outhouse or other outdoor toilets. It is often used to specify a distinction between a flushing toilet and a non-flushing toilet (e.g., a longdrop or thunderbox). First used in print in 1952, the word is believed to be derived from the much older 'dunnakin' (also spelled 'dunnigin' and 'dunegan')[1] meaning privy.

And, as that quote from Wiki points out, you could also use "privy"

6. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Here in Scotland, a slang term for toilet is "the bog." Nearly always used by men.