1. Magnatolia

Magnatolia Active Member

Are there any full plots that can be downloaded

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Magnatolia, Mar 5, 2014.

Hi all,

For books that have been published, are there any that offer full plot outlines that they used? I know some authors write books and use the book to teach the craft of writing. Just wondering if anyone's done anything similar for the plot of the stories?

Thanks!

2. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

I'm not sure what you're asking about here. Do you want somebody elses plot? Or a method to create your own? There are several how-to-books that teach that. If you don't want to buy them you could also learn by studying published novels to see how they do.

3. Magnatolia

Magnatolia Active Member

I mean I want inspiration, to see how a published, successful book was plotted. To help me get more understanding about plotting. I have purchased a few plotting books tonight, hoping they also have a few good examples.

4. Mackers

Mackers Senior Member

Eh...Take any well-known book in existence, type it into Wikipedia and go to the "plot" section. It'll summarize what happened. Simples.

5. David K. Thomasson

David K. Thomasson Senior Member

Tesoro likes this.
  6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

you seem to want the author's own notes, not a plot summary of the already published novel... i don't know of any authors who have made their development notes/outlines available to the public... nor why any would want to...

7. Bryan Romer

Bryan Romer Contributor Contributor

I think you're looking for the writer's "magic", the part that happens in his head. I doubt if you'll find anything. Even if someone made notes every step of the way, it's going to be "Hmm, my characters are gathered in the abandoned mental hospital ... they could ... no ... or ... no ... aha! That's what they'll do." {starts typing}

8. Magnatolia

Magnatolia Active Member

@mammamaia - I was meaning more that someone offered even a small part of their notes, charts etc they used. I recall JK Rowling did this showing how she kept the different sub-plots together.

@Bryan Romer - haha I definitely don't want the thoughts going through his head. I know there's a book, I can't recall the name, but he wrote the book as a way of helping authors. I haven't had a chance to read it but it has lots of information on writing in the second half.

9. Man in the Box

Man in the Box Active Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monomyth

This is what Star Wars was based on and is pretty much the standard plot for any fantasy story out there.