1. Nicoel

Nicoel Senior Member

All things must come to an end

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Nicoel, May 2, 2015.

I seem to have trouble writing an end for anything. Whether they be essays, stories, novels, blog posts, what-have-you. I'm good right up until I have to write that final paragraph and then everything seems to fall apart.

Does anyone have any problems with this? Any solutions?

2. TheWingedFox

TheWingedFox Banned

I know what you mean. Sometimes it seems that the ending is far inferior to what's come before. I know I often feel 'undernourished' by the finale after the 'main course'.

If it's an essay, don't you just use a overall conclusion which ties everything together that you just wrote?

In fiction, however, it's tough to end the story when that ending seems unsatisfactory.

Do you mean the conclusion to the story, or the actual final words...? Such as a closing 'profound' statement like in Christmas Carol;

Scrooge was better than his word. He did it all, and infinitely more; and to Tiny Tim, who did not die, he was a second father. He became as good a friend, as good a master, and as good a man, as the good old city knew, or any other good old city, town, or borough, in the good old world.

3. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

What do you mean it "falls apart" at the last paragraph?

4. Nicoel

Nicoel Senior Member

Well yes, an essay already has a general format to it's ending.
    As for fiction it's definitely tough. And I mean the actual final words. I can usually figure out how the story is going to end, but the phrasing/actual writing of the final words seems to escape me.

I love the Christmas Carol.. And scrooge!

5. Mckk

Ah, I see. For myself, I usually go for a line that sorta sums up the atmosphere of things, or sums up the scene. In other words, I go for something that sorta strikes the point home. In general I don't have a problem finishing in that sense - the rhythm of it comes naturally to me. I usually listen for rhythm - something that sounds like the last note of a song.

Not sure if that helps at all...?

Nicoel likes this.
  6. Nicoel

Nicoel Senior Member

@Mckk I never know how to end it. Should I just leave it off? Or should I try to come up with some profound statement? How do you end it? "Well, that's uhmm.. All I have to say for now."
    I'm mostly working on blog-type entries right now, which is where I'm having the most problems.

Edit - I didn't see your other post! Sorry!
    Edit 2 - That makes a lot of sense. Writing is kind of like listening to a song... I've never really given that thought much of a comparison.

Mckk likes this.
  7. TheWingedFox

TheWingedFox Banned

I suppose when it's critiqued, comments will help, so maybe go for it, just jot down whatever you are thinking, and later when you or others read it, the editing will mould your uncertainty into a beautiful and perfect conclusion! :)

I suppose you want the ending to explain the MC's reaction/development/suffering/whatever from the events of the narrative at its basic level.

I keep thinking about Tony Hancock's The Missing Page episode...
    where the last page of the book is missing so he doesn't know the ending, and desperately tries to find another book to read the ending, only to discover that the author died as he wrote it and thus never finished!

Hopefully that won't happen to you! :-D

8. Mckk

Loool. Poor guy :D That reminds me of the fictional novel (yeah, it really was a fictional novel - eg. a novel that doesn't exist lol) in Fault in Our Stars. The MC Hazel's favourite novel supposedly ends mid-sentence to express the abruptness of dying and how life goes on for those around the deceased.

Nicoel likes this.
  9. TheWingedFox

TheWingedFox Banned

But what if the song fades out! :confused:

That's a beautiful image, though. And it makes sense. I often feel some endings are too abrupt, and don't end with me feeling a sense of closure or the rhythm, as you say, is off...bit like the ending to every Frank Sidebottom song (may he RIP)

10. Mckk

Lol! Hadn't thought of that :bigtongue:

I guess in that case, you'd write a sentence that has that "fade out" quality :ninja:

I love these little faces btw...

Anyway, never heard of Frank Sidebottom but all I can say is, what an unfortunate name... :supergrin:

Nicoel likes this.
  11. TheWingedFox

TheWingedFox Banned

Frank Sidebottom...the avant garde showman and amateur musician from the north of England. There was a kind of film homage to him last year in the film 'Frank', and he was played by Michael Fassbender.

odolmen and Mckk like this.
  12. odolmen

odolmen Member

I ghosted through the thread. Interesting stuff!
    Thanks for the info by the way, I didn't know Frank was a referencing a real person :)