Are translations good?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Lawless, May 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

I have a question - what is it that makes English in manga feel weird to me? I have no problem reading it in Chinese, which is nonetheless still a translation. But English script looks wrong in manga (and probably not just because of the vertical bubbles that don't allow for great displays of horizontal texts). Do you ever feel this way about a piece of text, that in a different language it feels/looks wrong? To what extent is it the language and to what extent is it the shape of the language that causes this?

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I have an example that is very, very lateral, so please bear with me:

There are times when I am rendering documents from Spanish to English where the English possessive structure using apostrophe + s starts to look unsatisfactory to me. In Spanish, possessives are always of the noun of nouns construction, and this is a construction that can also be created in English. It's there as alternate construction. But after reading page after page of noun of noun (sustantivo + de + sustantivo), the apostrophe + s version in English starts to look... informal? I know it's not. I know that's not remotely part of that structure's dynamic, but it starts to feel that way after a while.

Conversely, when I am translating in the opposite direction, I get a similar frustration with the need to use the Spanish structure, using the preposition de, when in English you can stack all these nouns one after another and make a single, long noun phrase.

Puerto Rico Forensic Sciences Institute (no need to connect the words with anything)
    Instituto de Ciencias Forenses de Puerto Rico (no choice but to connect them that way)

ETA: Also, I think that any language that reads obligatorily from left to right is always going to feel funky when presented in a page of manga that's oriented in the complete opposite direction. There's this weird scoot back, go forward, scoot back, go forward, sensation to the reading since the panels and the speech bubbles are oriented to be engaged top-right to bottom-left, across the page.

Mckk likes this.
  3. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Prose is always easier to translate than poetry. I'm convinced you simply cannot translate poetry from one language to another without losing something important.