1. Keongxi

Keongxi Member

Question Are we allowed to ask for plot tips in this forum?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Keongxi, Apr 23, 2021.

Are we allowed to ask questions like "Could you give me some tips on how to write out a plot"?Let's say you want to write a script/novel/short story about a haunted house,can you ask for tips on how to write it out? E.g "Should I include a murdered victim, flashbacks, cemetary or animal that can see ghosts etc" ?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
  2. Keongxi

Keongxi Member

Edit:Ok.Question solved.

3. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

You can ask whatever you like, but the more specific the question, the more likely you are to get decent responses. Vague questions won't get much traction... things like "how do I write XYZ" or "does XYZ make sense."

4. JLT

JLT Contributor Contributor

Sure you can. Hell, I can give you plots for any numbers of books, plays, and movies. The trick is telling them in such a way that they become fresh.

A plot is basically a map of a character through time. If you're stuck on a plot point, maybe it's worth examining where you want your characters to end up. From there, you can piece together why they wanted (or didn't want) to go there, and what happened to them in the meantime to make them end up there and not someplace else.

That's what your suggesters will need to know if they try to answer your question. Why is the character in that situation in the first place? What does he want? What does she dread? What's in their way?

5. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

You absolutely can... but as you've discoivered on your other thread these questions can't be answered

Should i nclude a murder? -- I don't know should you? Its your book, no one else can answer that... in the plot development forum you are better off asking a detailed question like... in my book where xyz happens do you think it would be more plausible to do this or do that ?

Idiosyncratic likes this.