1. Raven

Raven Banned

Are We Alone.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Raven, Feb 25, 2008.

Ok, so SETI (the Search for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence) has been at it for thirty years now without so much of a whisper of a signal from an alien race. So where are they?

Consider, life has been on Earth for nearly 4 billion years, of which intelligent life has been around for less than half a million years. A tiny fraction of the history of life on Earth. So, life may teem throughout the universe, but intelligent life may be incredibly rare.

We really may be alone out here. What do you think?

2. (Mark)

(Mark) New Member

Hmmm, how do we even know how what means of communication other intelligent races would be using? If they've advanced past radio communication, our radio signals might go unnoticed. Additionally, it's a big galaxy out there. I've been made to believe that SETI is small and underfunded. How is an organization like that supposed to discover anything?

Judging by the size of the galaxy, and the Universe past that, it seems impossible for there to not be intelligent life elsewhere.

3. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

I'd say it's a statistical impossibility that we are the only life in the universe. That said, whatever is out there is probably pissed as hell at us for the constant radio waves we send out.

So yeah, when the alien overlords land and their troops march through the streets, you'll all know why.

4. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

A common myth about radio waves is that they keep going and going through space unchanged. Its been effectively proven that after a radio wave gets about two light years from its point of origin, it becomes nothing more than static. There could be other races trying to do the same thing we are but unless they're within two lightyears we're not getting anything from them.

It is statistically impossible for us to the only lif ein the galaxy. There has to be something. The question is when, where, and how advanced. Will we ever find a species on another world that has reached our level of sentience? Its debatable. For all we know we could be the most advanced civilization in the universe. Myabe we'll go to a planet one day and fidn Native Olukalafhajghaians who are tribal and still in the stone age. maybe they'll be in an inudstrial revolution, or maybe they'll be lightyears ahead of us technologically. No real way to know exactly.

I don't believe in UFO's, abductions or aliens visiting earth. That's horribly improbable. But there is bound to be something else out there.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

The nearest star other than our own sun is 4.3 light years away, and as Lord of Hats pointed out, within a couple light years the intensity of radio waves drops below the point where it can be distinguished from background radio noise.

Even if aliens were somehow able to pick out our signals at a greater distance, we have only been transmitting radio waves for a bit over a century, which means we could only even theoretically be detected by that means from within a sphere roughly 200 light years in diameter.

As for SETI, we are listening, not sending, and it's not clear we would even necessarily recognize a signal from an intelligent source if we received it.

I believe it is extremely likely there is other life in our galaxy. But the galaxy is a huge place, and even if a species were actively exploring it, we could pass notice for a very long time.

6. Keth Andril

Keth Andril New Member

I'd have to say that there is definitely other forms of intelligent life out there besides us. The only question is where are they. If they're within our range of communication (2 lightyears) then they either use a different form of communication than spoken language, they aren't advanced enough to receive or respond to our communication attempts, or both. There's also the possibility that some intelligent race has attempted to communicate with us, but we just keep disregarding it because it sounds like static to us. I personally don't think any kind of communication will take place between us and any other intelligent species until we make physical contact with them. Once that happens, though, its hard to say whether or not we'll try hard enough to communicate with them before a war breaks out.

7. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

Eh. Probably aren't. Maybe the Aliens are already here, blending in.... taking our forms.. just waiting for the right moment to strike....... Or not. Whichever!

8. Bluemouth

Bluemouth Contributor Contributor

Well if we are alone ... it seems like an awful waste of space.

9. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

I consider we, ourselves to be the aliens, thus providing the comforting thought that we're not alone in the universe.

lol.

10. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

And I don't care if that made no sense, lol

11. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

I doubt we are alone.

They say that adam and eve were the first human right? Well thing is before them the planet was loaded with animals. So maybe Eoz is right! We may very well be the alien race. Coming to a new planet and taking it over. It is a possibility you know. There is nothing to really prove otherwise. Unless you go with the whole, man evolved from the Apes thing.

12. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Sense is overrated :p

And anyway, that theory (exogenesis) is quite a popular one. I for one think it's quite likely.

13. Cogito

By itself, it's not proof of a common ancestry, but consider the human appendix. It is a degenerate second stomach, because the human species evolved from ruminants (grazing animals). Ruminants use the second stomach to complete the digestive process on plant materials.

There are numerous anatomical features that we have in common with the other animals on the planet, and on the biochemical level, there are traceable compounds we have in common with other life on this planet, including many which either serve no good purpose or are actually injurious.

This biochemistry is well suited to the conditions on this planet, but I believe it is a very narrow view to think it is the only possible stable biochemistry in the universe.

14. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    Well I've lived in Northern Ontario for most of my life (26 years). In Northern Ontario we supposedly have a type of wild cat called a Lynx.
    I have never seen a Lynx in Northern Ontario despite extensive hiking, boating and camping.
    Since I have not seen one I can only assume that the Lynx, while maybe existing in other parts of the world, does not live in Northern Ontario.

15. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

I think there are too many connections between humanity and other species of earth to claim we come from another planet (Though the possibility of an alien influence in out evolution is always there. Perhapse the one we call "god" is really just an alien? Its an interesting thought).

I would like to see if its possible for a silicon based life form to exist on our level. There are silicon based species on earth, but most of them are small and bacterial with very few being remotely large. Another interesting idea would be the theoried Triple Helix genetic structure. That would be interesting.

16. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

All the theories of extraterrestrial life are theories. Everything we say is just the opinion we'd like to think how it should be, much like the afterlife. Is there life out there? I don't know until they're standing at my door.

17. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

thanks for that, cog!... it's one of the proofs i offer to show that humans chose to be carnivorous, having been designed to be herbiferous/vegetarians... another is the shape of our teeth, which are like cows' and horses' and not at all like cats or dogs...

back to the topic at hand, it's the height/depth of arrogance/ignorance to assume we're the only sentient beings in the universe... to lighten the atmosphere a tad, here's a piece i did on the subject, a while ago [not posted for a critique, only to get to the bottom line]:

Assignment: Earth

A Life Observor’s task
    is not an easy one...
    sharing homes of others,
    all the while having none,
    being on the outside,
    while you are there within,
    looking like one of them,
    yet neither kith nor kin,
    your assignment merely
    to notice how they act...
    sentientkind observing
    is tough, and that’s a fact!

First, you have to practice
    not seeming too unique,
    so that none will notice,
    among them there’s a freak.
    Then you need to live life
    as if you’re one of theirs,
    going so far as to
    become one of their pairs!
    Which, of course, must lead to
    more of them being born...
    making you the mother
    of some you’re there to warn.

For an Observor’s task
    is not simply to watch,
    while lower forms of life
    take evil up one notch.
    Our job is more complex,
    involving saving some,
    should we find them worthy
    to rescue from the scum,
    before our mother’s wrath at
    how they’ve wasted life,
    ends in her final act...
    putting all to the knife.

A Life Observor’s job
    is such a soul-sad one...
    knowing those you learned to love,
    their whole world they’ve undone,
    seeing lovely planets
    ruined by their own hosts,
    who leave once-healthy worlds
    haunted by their own ghosts,
    having to report them
    to our good mother source,
    confirming there’s no hope...
    they’ve followed evil’s course.

First one feels such anger,
    then, soon follows pity
    for a race whose last trace,
    each town, every city,
    must be wiped out lest they
    infect still-pristine spheres,
    which leaves the observor
    too often drenched in tears,
    wishing that all sentients
    could just for once be good...
    practice what they’re preaching
    of peace and brotherhood!

For Observors don’t go
    to worlds that are allright,
    we’re just sent where evil’s
    already won the fight.
    My job isn’t really
    to save you from your fate.
    No, it’s not that simple...
    I’m sent when it’s too late.
    I’ve come just to record
    the passing of your kind
    as lessons for others...
    so they won’t be as blind.

Reporting from the scene, 3rd planet of Helios:
    25 December, 2001ce; Endday minus ???
    maia, on assignment for TMS (The Mother Source)

18. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Woo. That's a long one Maia. I don't even like poetry but that's a good one (For once I actually go the meaning... and it rhymes :D).

19. Raven

Raven Banned

The problem is we ourselves could have been banished to this world. Above the sky its possible we are been monitored but not for experimentation but instead for progress. We are a violent race that turn on each other and kill each other. Animals only kill each other for food. We actually make war and really i beleive if you kill it you should eat it.

Aliens are out there no doubt there. Just were they are is the question. They may not even know of our existance. somewhere there is likely to be another Human race more advanced than us or less advance or even just starting out in the cave man days.

To say we are alone is niave there are Billions plus planets out there its only natural that a human evolution lives amongst them somewhere.

20. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Human evolution elsewhere in the universe makes no sense to me. If there are other sentient alien species out there I highly doubt their remotely human. They're probably bird people or lizard men XD.

21. Forkfoot

Forkfoot Caitlin's ex is a lying, abusive rapist. Contributor

Totally. Look at Australia, even. It breaks off from Pangea a little earlier than the rest of the Earth's continents, and look how screwy all their animals turned out to be. Life that sprung up independantly of ours on a completely different planet would probably look so different we can't even imagine it.

22. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Oh oh. Maybe they'll be little teddy bear people! Like the ewoks!

EDIT: To add to Forkfoots statement don't forget the Galapogos Islands. That isolated little cuck of dryness is full of exotic and uniqe species that are found no where else on earth because they evolved independently for that island.

23. Cogito

Consider the variety of life on this planet alone. Look at our own oceans, where like is still based on the same fundamental biochemistry. Extraterrestrial life will likely look even stranger than stingrays, sea cucumbers, or lobsters.

24. Raven

Raven Banned

Its possible. But whos to say our evolution hasn't happened elsewhere in the universe. We for all we know could be one amongst millions there is most proberly thosands of planets with the same evolutionary growth as Earth. Its Naive to think we are the only ones.

25. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

You and my father have the same thoughts on this. He firmly believes that the human race is a parasite, going from planet to planet. solar system to solar system raping the lands and moving on. Quite interesting to listen to his theories to be honest and amusing too :p lol