Are we predisposed to write in a specific mode/style?

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by GB reader, Jun 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. GB reader

GB reader Contributor Contributor

I was happy to find things on this old thread. I read all the post again. And the advice given by many of you are still good.

So what happend?

My goal was to write a novella. And I did. 30k word in seven weeks(when i finally put some pressure on myself)

I am not a writer but having read so much all my life I know my language(swedish) so i actually have helped some young(er) writers with proofreading. Of course they write stuff (YA) that I don't normally read but tense, spelling, syntax is needed even there. So I help them, not because I am a good writer but I know my language.

I wrote a 400 word start of a crime story that i thought would inspire one of them to write instead of teenage love. (No success with that.)

Then I attended a creative writing class. We were supposed to read loud something we had written. I choose to read this start of a crime story.

Our teacher said I should (she suggested) write it. We met each tuesday and I had seven weeks.

Now I have written a teenage romance (26ķ) and that has taken me about 8 weeks (still needs editing. I guess it will be done in 12 weeks. So some pressure gets me writing a little more focused.

When I'm not focused I tend to read books instead.

Today i would say.

Writing short story is good for learning how to write short story. But it doesn't realy help you write a novella. (It's helps you to write, yes, but that does any writing)

Maybee writing novellas help you write a novel but I am not sure.(You can cheat by writing 3 novellas that you put after each other)

And I would have to become a much better writer before I could write any other way than I write. I will never write a hard SF novel. It's not in me, but I love to read them.

Once more thank you all.

Alan Aspie and Cave Troll like this.