1. sophie.

sophie. New Member

Are you a 'secret' writer?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sophie., Apr 19, 2009.

What I mean by this is, do people know that you write..friends, family, colleagues? Or is it kept as a secret, just your own hobby? :p

(Ha I would never show stuff I write to people I know, but hey I'm fine with posting it here to be shredded by strangers..just makes sense to me :D)

2. fantasy girl

fantasy girl New Member

it's just a hobbie to me, if i think i have done a good piece of writing i show it to my mum/dad and if they like it i show my english teacher (if threr inn a good mood) but yes i understand why people dont like letting people know they write as some people think its a joke and get laughed at for it.

3. sophie.

sophie. New Member

^I don't think it's fear of being laughed at, more like self-consciousness, that's why I keep it to myself, and it's something to focus on that feels constructive.

4. Piestein

Piestein Active Member

My parents haven't got the faintest clue. I am trying to speak with friends about it, though. Ofc, I do tell them it's a hobby and not something professional (so that they don't have too high expectations). I haven't given anyone anything full to read yet, but I will some day, when I feel both me and the thing are ready for the world (and the world - for it).

Except for my parents, they shouldn't see a thing; they would annoy me afterwards. And it would feel awkward. Besides, they'll boast about it. I don't want that. Weird people.

Then again, it always felt awkward to say. I said it to my friensd just so that I don't feel awkward anymore.

5. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

I must be an egotist, for I feel the exact opposite way. Whenever I create something, I want to show it to everyone. That's why as soon as I've completed a story, I let my (very supportive, thank God) mother read what I've written. It's the same way with drawings, films, etc. I just like to show what I can do, but I'm not show-offy if that makes any sense. haha
    Though there are times when I write a horror story that is so twisted, I won't let anyone I know read it for fear of them thinking I'm a sick bastard. That's the only time I'll be a "secret writer" I guess.

6. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

My perants know about it, like what I write and support me with it, as do my friends.

I couldn't imagine doing this without them.

7. LordKyleOfEarth

LordKyleOfEarth Contributor Contributor

I'm not shy about it; infact I think you are wierd. :p

8. Acglaphotis

Acglaphotis New Member

No, no one knows I write. Except my annoying friends who google me YES I KNOW IT'S YOU.

9. pacmansays

pacmansays New Member

My girlfriend knows about it as I started writing because of her and a couple of friends who are into this kinda stuff also know

But not my family

10. SonnehLee

SonnehLee Contributor Contributor

Everyone knows. It's not a secret.

11. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

No secret here. I have some of my writing on a website. My family and many of my friends and colleagues know of the site. Some have even been cornered for feedback on occasion.

My daughter has hit me up from time to time to review her writing.

12. sweetchaos

sweetchaos New Member

I am and I'm not. A lot of people know I write (friend, family, co workers, etc), but there are specific people I would never dream of telling. My extended family for isntance, my friend who was an english major and who's opinion of me I'd like to keep the way it is, that kind of thing.

However, when they do know I write, I try to pimp out my work. I thrive on praise and when they like it, it spurs me to write more. There are a few I'm a little apprehensive about showing, my boyfriend in particular, but mostly, once they know they REALLY know. haha

13. inkslinger

inkslinger Active Member

I'm a secret writer for the most part. My mother and brother both know I like to write, but they don't know to what extent. Well, my brother sort of does seeing as he's a writer himself and in the midst of publishing his second novel. So we sort of know about our projects. But for the most part, no one really knows. I've casually mentioned my like for writing to friends and coworkers and what not, but I'm usually talking in the sense of school and English classes, not personal write time.

14. rory

rory Active Member

Nobody knows I write, either. My family loves to read and I think their expectations would be too high for my current skills. I've told close friends that I'd love to be a writer, but I've never said that I write.
    If no one knows, then I won't be nearly as embarrassed if I fail horribly. I'll tell them if I get published. :p

15. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

nope!... i'm a very public one... and never did 'hide' my life as a writer...

16. KP Williams

KP Williams Active Member

While I don't go around shoving my notebook in people faces and screaming "Hey, guess what? I write! :D", I certainly don't make a secret of it either. Plenty of people at my school know I write just because I have a lovely binder filled with more pencil lead (or graphite, if you like) than most of my classmates have used in their lives.

My mom used to sneak into my room and read stuff off of my ancient desktop, but that stopped ever since she became addicted to some online game. And then three of my four friends have offered me plenty of brutally honest criticism that helped point me closer to the right direction. So that's almost everyone I know and plenty of people I don't know who are aware of my writing..

17. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

I dont hide my love of writing or the fact that I write; why would I? It's quite a popular hobby; nothing to be ashamed of... :confused:
    My question is why do you hide the fact that you love to write?

I've been writing since I was six years old; I wrote with a friend of mine. Though I know longer write with her, I spend a great deal of time on my own writing. I write for two newspapers, and when my time is not occupied as a journalist, I'm writing as a fiction writer (or procrastinating here as a fiction writer).

I dont often show my creations because as a perfectionist it always needs work, but I'm not shy about sharing creative pieces that I am proud of.

18. star_fire

star_fire New Member

i was a secret writer for awhile when i moved across the state and ending up attending a new school. i started writing when i was in third grade, and i included all of my classmates in my short story. they were estatic about it, and i made sure that every one of them turned out a hero, but one boy in particular screamed at me. "i don't want to be the bad guy! why am i the bad guy?!" me: "but you saved everyone! you were the hero!"

since then, i kept my writing to myself. but when i moved in the seventh grade, the public school had a program called 'power of the pen'. it's a writing competition, with three prompts and three hours. i immediately joined, and ended up receiving eighth place for my school out of the 5 surrounding counties. now everyone in the school knows that i write (mainly because i'm always hanging out in the creative writing room. te he)

one thing that i don't do, however, is share my writing with anyone other than close friends. *shrugs* if you call that secret writing, of course.

19. Dr. Doctor

Dr. Doctor New Member

Why would anyone want to keep it a secret? People know I write, it's just that nobody really has time to sit down and leaf through most of my stories - so I came here.

20. lessa

lessa New Member

any one I care about knows I write.
    I give a story written specifically for a child if it is their birthday or special occasion.
    Soon most of the town will know I write. I am giving wooden puzzles to the dentist
    for his office play area and a story will be on the back of each one.
    most I just sign "story grandma".

21. Kursal

Kursal New Member

I'm known as a writer, guitarist, singer, actor and comedian amongst my circle of friends. It's useful as most of them are performer types so if they ever need a writer, guitarist, singer, actor or comedian, I tend to get a call.

22. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

Everyone knows I'm a writer. I carry a notebook with me almost everywhere I go, so it's pretty obvious, I guess...but when I was younger, my cousins stole a notebook of mine and then they and my dad were making fun of the stuff I had written, so I don't let very many people read what I write. Usually just my fiance and my sister.

23. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

I'm with you on this one. Why keep it a secret? People show me a lot of respect for it. They think it's impressive. I once was in this youth employment program where a lot of kids also needed life-skills/communcations workshops. We did one on positive communication. We passed around a paper with each member's name on it. Three people chose to say "She's a writer" for me. They didn't know much about me, and I didn't exactly have great clothes or hair to compliment. They thought the fact that I even do it, regardless of how much talent I do or do not have, was a good thing

Of course, other than publishers and crazy on-line people like you, I don't share it with many. Who I choose to talk about it with is also another story.

24. lilix morgan

lilix morgan Member

It took me a while, and some heavy convincing on my parent's part, but I've told my friends over the past year that I'm a writer. My close friends already knew because we would RP together on forums all the time, so they knew I was pretty decent (no ego inflation here). But my mother never really thought I was good until I showed her some stuff. Now she backs me fully. It's my dad I have to crack.

25. sophie.

sophie. New Member

Sheesh feel like a freak now...well I don't write much so there isn't much to hide :p
    But my mum would prob blow it out of proportion if she knew