1. Gonissa

Gonissa New Member

Post your Goal!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Gonissa, Jul 25, 2012.

Okay, so I haven't been writing too much at the moment, mainly because I've been staying up way too late watching a Korean drama, My Princess (good, but the ending is very anti-climatic). But now I'm going to get back up and working (says the person currently on the internet) and according to a book on influence I read, if a person writes something down, they are more likely to follow that statement. People naturally want to be consistent, and so they don't like saying they're going to do something and then end up not doing it. If they just say or think something, it's easier for them to contradict themselves. But if it's written down, especially where other people can see it, the person is now more fully committed.

In that spirit, I now suggest that we all post our writing goals for the end of the year.

Now, a few rules. First of all, don't overwhelm yourself. You know the limits of your ability, especially the restrictions on your time. Do not choose lofty goals that you hope to achieve one day, but smaller goals that you know for a fact you can manage right at this point in your writing life. Secondly, absolutely no more than three goals, and preferably a mere two.

As for my goals:
    - Write out a fan-novel to hopefully be published by the gaming company.
    (outline nearly finished)
    - Finish my set of ten short stories for publication on Amazon.
    (a couple of stories completed, three in-progress, and the rest undecided)
    - Actually succeed at NaNoWriMo

So yeah, note that by posting in this thread, you're leaving yourself accountable to the fellow forum-goers. I'll be posting another thread at the end of the year, to see who succeeded or not. And I'll post my own progress. I hope I didn't pick too much...eh, if I succeed at NaNoWriMo, it'll probably take care of the other two.

2. Steph4136

Steph4136 New Member

I succeeded at NaNoWriMo a few years ago. I felt AWESOME. I plan on doing it again this year.

So that's one thing I want to accomplish. Another is finishing the edits on my book. Once the school year starts, a lot of my time will free up so I can get back to writing more.

3. SuttonMichael254

SuttonMichael254 Active Member

I want my 1st draft to be done. Im about a third of the way through. The time i have is pretty decent with my job. When im out on a job location we work hard 3 hour bursts and then have about a 3 hour down time where we do nothing while wireline goes down the well so thats when i get most of my writing done. So to be honest at the rate im going i will probably be done with the 1st draft before the year is up, but we will see.

4. Elixir

Elixir New Member

I'm not that great at getting things done if I don't announce my goals to a witness of two.

So, in spirit of sharing, here are my new goals:
    -Complete the first chapter of my novel.
    -Write a song, with accompaniment.

And these two tasks need to be finished by this coming Tuesday. I wish I could use the workshop on the forums, but alas, I'll be patient and wait the fourteen days needed. :)

5. Gonissa

Gonissa New Member

Well, actually this thread technically was meant for end of year goals, but....yeah, if shorter goals help, that's cool. :) Maybe I should try it.

6. Not the Admin

Not the Admin Banned

My goals (For the school year):

- Raise my GPA to a 3.5 or higher. I'll do this by maintaining As in my four AP classes.
    - Recieve 4s and 5s on all four of my AP exams.
    - Score a 32 or higher on my ACTs.
    - Apply for financial aid, scholorships, and universities.
    - Apply for full-time PSEO at the University of Minnesota for senior year.
    - Aquire a part-time job.
    - Write more short-stories for either competitions or ebook publication.

And I mean, these are only the goals I think I can accomplish by the end of the school year.

7. Bell City Fires

Bell City Fires New Member

Find an artist for BCF. Finish writing the first five scripts. Learn one way or the other if Dark Horse wants to publish.
    Outline the forty years between now and the time of the dystopian novel I want to write, make it frighteningly believable.
    Write several short stories to be posted here, just because those are the little things that keep me writing.
    Check off three of the seven story ideas in my head, replacing them with still more.

8. shaylyn

shaylyn New Member

My number one goal is to get my book at least finished by the end of the year (and when I say "finished" I mean, having a beginning, a middle and an end.) Then maybe by the middle-ish of next year, I'll be looking into publishers :)

9. Kenn

Kenn New Member

I guess I’m completely different than most people when it comes to goals when writing. My goal is not how much I can write nor accomplishments received for writing good literature. My goal is to put out my mistakes and hard times on paper and to just get it out. I guess it’s like going to a psychologist in my own way.

10. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

To stick to the one writing project I'm working on. And finish it.
    - and be satisfied with it!

11. Murkie

Murkie Active Member

Currently Reading::
    Rhythm of War - Brando Sando & Rebel's Creed - Daniel B Greene
    To be able give up my day job and make a living from writing.
    - I can dream, right?

An end of year goal... Finish the short story I'm writing and make a dent in my 1st novel.

12. Warp Zone

Warp Zone New Member

My goal is to finish the short story I'm writing and hopefully make it good enough that its message is clear.

13. Muff

Muff Member

Finish one of the several novels I have started. I'm really good at getting the first thousand words in, then I just get bored. Guess I just haven't found the right story yet...

14. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I actually really like this.

My goal for the end of the year is:

- To have 5 fiction manuscripts finished at least, and have submitted at least 5 pieces.
    - To have more of my larger project planned out.
    - To read the rest of the books I've promised myself for this year.
    - Get some psychological help for depression.
    - Apply for PGCE in September.

Not a bad list.

15. IsadoraZee

IsadoraZee New Member

my end of year goals:

- to have my manuscript finished
    -to figure out what I'm going to do with my manuscript when it's finished
    -to be able to do splits
    -do keep up my personal blog

that's all

16. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

- Finish editing my MS and have a polished one to send out
    - Start researching on agents/publishers or preferably sending my MS
    - Be working on my 2nd book (so find a story and start planning for it)

17. fwc577

fwc577 New Member

My goal.

2-3 self pubbed by the end of the year.

I'm at the breaking point. I've read so many books on writing and a ton of fiction books this year and my writing and ability has gone through the stratosphere. I look at some of the stuff I wrote just a month ago and think, "Wow, that's really terrible."

Read a book this weekend that is a massive help to my writing and went back through my story I'm working on and re-edit the first couple chapters yesterday (was extrmely exhausted while doing it due to lack of sleep) but today I will have a full day of writing and I will be interested to see how far I get.

18. IsadoraZee

IsadoraZee New Member

sounds exciting! Are you writing a novel? How far in are you? I couldn't go back and edit my 1st draft until it was completely finished, but it was definitely an eye opener, as to how much my writing had improved. I find it's always like that when you're pulling the story out at the beginning.

19. simina

simina Active Member

There's only four and a half months left in the year! I don't think I can really accomplish any big goals. I would like to get something published in some sort of magazine, eventually. . . That would be the biggest ego boost.

And I want to do really well in my creative writing and philosophy courses next semester.

20. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I'd love to have at least five science fiction stories bouncing around the magazine market, with at least one acceptance. (I have two out looking for publishers right now, but they're a bit hard to classify genre-wise, so it's hard to find magazines to submit them to.)

21. fwc577

fwc577 New Member

I've got about eight scenes done but I haven't finalized anything into chapters just yet. I do have the chapters listed in Scrivener but I keep bouncing the scenes in and out of chapter 2.

I'm sitting at about 5,800 words over the last about week which includes multiple re-edits (I want to get a little bit set in stone (err more like a drying cement) to get my editor buddy interested for what else I have in the rest of the story).

After I go see Bourne later today I will be almost to the point of continuing to write new content which I can do very quickly.

The book is a paranormal romance adventure type story. I had a sci-fi one I was working on about a month ago but wanted to start in paranormal first since that is truly where my heart lies. (Used to play Vampire the Masquerade, Werewolf the Apocalypse, and Mage the Acension back in the day pretty hardcore). My story is a mix of those. About a 17-year old witch who gets attacked by a werewolf and she needs to cure it before the next full moon or lose her powers and be an outcast from witch/warlock society.

22. marktx

marktx New Member

My goal for the end of September is to get my ghost-whispering crackhead protagonist out of his holding cell, get my villain to Kansas, get my protagonist's would-be mentor killed, and get my muse/ghost to lure my villain to the last place he'll ever see as a living, breathing human being.

23. D-Doc

D-Doc Active Member

You're one of those wirelines guys, huh? That's pretty cool, man. I like that you write on your down time. Usually those guys are asleep. Are you with Halliburton or what?

I'm a floorhand for H&P, and during a hitch I have very little time to write. I write for about half an hour to an hour sometimes after work, but definitely not everyday. I'm usually falling asleep by the time I lay down. On my two weeks off, however, (like now) I can write as much as I want to. I get at least 1,000 words done every morning.

Anyway, as far as my goals go, I'd like to get something published, whether it's a short story, novel, graphic novel, ect. Might not happen by the end of this year, but it's the long-term goal that I'm really focused on.

24. prettyprettyprettygood

prettyprettyprettygood Active Member

My goal is to write a shortish (20page) script for a competition I fancy entering by 24th August. It'll be the first script I've written, so I figure at even if I decide it's not good enough to enter at least I'll have written something instead of just thinking about it.

25. Krystle Robison

Krystle Robison New Member

Id love to finish writing something i start so thats my goal one i have a hard time doing