Are you judging me?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by tarnished, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

God i hate that!

Double posters are the lowest of the low.

:) ;)

2. ManicParroT

ManicParroT New Member

Is that an anime avatar I see?

Methinks the lady doth protest too much.

:p

On the grammar thing: I absolutely do judge people on their grammar. I assume that people who don't check their posts are some combination of uneducated and lazy. Of course, there is a minute number of people with honest-to-Basil dyslexia, but Firefox has utilities that can check your posts as you type.

There's no excuse. Worst comes to worst, type it in MS Word and paste.

3. Solaris

Solaris Active Member

I have no idea if it is lol.
    It could be, but it was just a random drawing I found and I liked it because it looks a lot like me.
    Whether it is from an anime I'm not sure. So no, I wasn't defending myself. :p
    I hardly ever watch anime, but I don't think it is all that important when it comes to how you judge somebody.

Taking grammar into consideration, I can see if it were some obnoxious kid that uses chatspeak... but as far as typos and things of the sort, I don't understand why we have to look down on them like uneducated peasants.
    You can't honestly say you're perfect and have never made a typo mistake. I know I have/do sometimes - and if somebody is going to look down their nose at me because of it, well. That is a bit ridiculous in my opinion. :/
    They might be the sweetest person in real life and as far as them being a five time national spelling bee winner, I could care less.

4. Shadow Dragon

Shadow Dragon Contributor Contributor

I do think their avatar and sig does give you a small insight into their personality but I try to wait until I see some of their posts before making a judgement about them.

5. ManicParroT

ManicParroT New Member

No, the woman in your avatar is actually hot.

ACID BURN!!!1111

Again, I kid. :p

Oh, sure. I'm not going to make typos into mountains, sort of thing. A switched letter, or an occasional their / there confusion, no problem. Forums aren't academic essays. On the other hand:

lik u dunt even no wot ur takin abt, u just hate coz u suck

I have no time for that.

6. Solaris

Solaris Active Member

You're right I'm not hot. I'm gorgeous! ;)
    Rofl.
    ...What?
    Stop looking at me like that. Dx

Ah alright! I understand what you're saying.
    Sorry, I'm so tired and out of it I mistook what you meant.
    But yes that is rather annoying. :p

7. Emerald

Emerald New Member

Heh, I might not have the right, I'm just being honest. And it's only a first impression sort of thing. I'm not going to hold it against anyone if they like anime, it just brings up a prejudice against them in my mind, because based on my past experience, people with anime avatars tend to be less sophisticated than those without.

As for bad grammar, I'm less inclined to judge someone for it. It just irritates me, solely because I have to work a little harder to understand them. And I don't like extra work...

8. tarnished

tarnished Contributor Contributor

Easy, guys. Lets keep it civil :D

9. Silver Random

Silver Random New Member

Yeah, i dont see how an avatar or sig could not make you think something about the person lol. It's the picture they choose to represent themselves on that forum, so when i see some things it drags down the respect of the poster straight away, and other things make them immediately more favourable. Of course after reading a couple of posts that initial impression could be dragged either way, the same as can happen to all first impressions.

I have to say i dont mind "chatspeak"... someone trying to actually type properly and making loads of spelling mistakes is worse than someone that is just using internet language imo. Though obviously there's a time and a place.

10. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Well, there was an avatar with a vertically extended third finger saluting the reader - I was somewhat judgmental over that...

11. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

I agree. And if someone has the bad taste (for example) to have a swastika as their avatar, respect is immediately out of the window.

12. Raven

Raven Banned

Along with the Avatar.

13. Cogito

To be fair, an avatar is a member's choice, and reflects his or her nature to some degree. Whether or not I judge someone on depends wholly on what the avatar is saying. Mostly, they reflect interests, and I respect that. If someone's avatar is intended to espress something hostile or hateful, I will judge it accordingly. That is exactly the same as judging someone by the content of their writing.

Like many have already said, I do judge people by their actions, and I make no apologies about that. But I also don't get glued to a first impression. There are a few people who gave me poor first impressions, whom I later have come to like and respect. Grudges are stupid. I remember bad past behavior, but I pay more attention to current behavior.

I don't forget, but I do forgive. That is my gift to me (anger gnaws from within). :)

14. Sanehouse

Sanehouse New Member

If a user has an unusual amount of posts for the time that they were registered at a forum, that would lead me to conclude that they're a spammer. For example, if you make 300 posts in one or two weeks, I doubt very many of those posts would be considered useful by other members.

As for avatars, I tend to identify people by the very first avatar they're using after I first see them (upon registering). Which means, for example, if John Doe has an avatar of a half-naked woman, I will use that avatar to identify him even if he changes his avatar to a picture of a sandstorm.

If some people have really long signatures, it gives me the impression that they're long-winded, but that's it.

Strangely enough, one of the aspects of accounts that I take into the least amount of consideration is their username. But usernames are important nonetheless, so having unique usernames instead of "User01", "User02", etc, is very important.

15. Cogito

Hmmm. I think you just described my first week on the site...

16. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

Perhaps, Cogito, but can't you access the site from your desk at work?

17. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Many of us have access from work. Good lord, without the forum I would go bonkers at work! :D

18. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

No spammer would ever reach 300 posts ;) They have to be lucky to make double figures around here.

19. Carmina

Carmina Contributor Contributor

The day would be SOOOOOOOO long if I couldn't go online at work. The Lord only has so much work for me, but I have to watch the office from 8-5.

20. Ennui

Ennui New Member

I am not the Lord who can be omniscient,ergo,I do not judge people,but myself.Judging must have equanimity,you turn inwards and philosophize yourself.

21. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

Call me judgmental, but are you trying to impress someone?

22. destinationless

destinationless New Member

First of all, I try to never judge. ;) ...I suppose I use the statistics provided with each user as more of a tool than anything else. I can see who I might want to ask about what, you know?
    For example, when I first joined about two months ago, I immediately noticed Cogito's post count and colour and correctly assumed that he held quite a presence here. I had a feeling that if I had a question, he'd be most likely to be able to answer it in a timely fashion. That's it. The more posts from him that I read, and the longer I remain a member of this forum, the more I have an opinion of him, but that's about it. That sort of thing.

The avatar and signatures are creative expressions and I might assume something from another person. For instance, I'm not a big fan of anime or manga, but I have several friends who are and might want to get into it. I see several members with popular anime / manga figures as their avatars; they may receive a PM from me. I might comment on a signature in post scriptum of a post if it rings particularly true or it turns out I have something in common with that user. Common sense things, you know? That's all it is.

As far as the text you received from your subscription goes, I think the description you can alter has the potential to give others an idea about you, but I imagine the character count is limited... For that reason, I'd never hold it in high regard as far as forming an opinion about you. :)

-D

23. Little Miss Edi

Little Miss Edi New Member

I wish I could say I don't judge, but I'd be lying...
    I like looking at people's avatars, the person in question chose them and so that image may well mean something to them. That doesn't mean if I don't like your avatar that I don't like you, (In fact I only seem to register ones I like or a familiar to me - Cogito threw me through a loop when he changed his! XD) Familiar avatars are like familiar faces, welcoming and warm.

I've also heard a lot of people dismiss anime avatars - is mine anime? I chose it because I love gaming and whenever I play mario kart wii, I play as Rosalina. I associate good times with her, and so I chose her as my 'face'. I don't really think it matters too much if people judge her and thus me. Like my real face, I'm very comfortable with her and I'm sure the same can be said for many people and their avatars.

And in an online race I'll kick your butt with her too!! :D ;)

24. soujiroseta

soujiroseta Contributor Contributor

^^I wish i could've said that^^:p